Is there an offical windows feedback channel?

JPR – insert a comma between “hiring” and “Chet”.

Ah. That makes a lot more sense, then. I guess DeepT would have had to work there and chet not in order for mine to be right.

Anyway, for your amusement, I present the request I sent to MS:

I have been using vista 64 bit as my primary OS for several months now. I have a few feature requests and UI tweaks that would make my end-user experience much more enjoyable and to make UAC a lot less irritating.

Vista tweaks:

1. I would like vista to ‘remember’ a program that I approved for running as admin. While I can set up a shortcut to run a program as admin, it still asks my approval every single time. I do not think it would be too difficult for you to do some kind of hash check, maybe an MD5 or SHA1, to identify the binary I am about to run. If the hash check of this binary is the same as it was the last time I approved it to run as admin, then vista will not ask my approval again.

2. I would like to have a block-list of programs that will never run and will not ever ask me about them. For example any time I run acrobat reader, quick time, real player, etc… they want to install some kind of update service or quick tray task. I never want these things to run. At least in vista I have the option of killing them as soon as they try to launch, but it would be nice if vista remembered these items and automatically declined to launch them without bothering me every single time. Of course you would need to make some kind of control panel application that would let me manage blocked programs so I could undo a choice at a later date.

IE 7 tweaks:

1. I would like IE 7 to have a built in spell checker, especially if office is installed. Outlook takes advantage of that, why can’t IE 7 do this? Why am I forced to use 3rd party products like IE Spell? It should be easy for you to add that functionality.

2. I would like to choose to NOT install a plug in and never be asked about it. For example, I find that the “Flash experience” is nearly always negative (big animated adds, especially with sound). If I choose to not install it, then every single page you go to that needs it constantly pops up a request to install it. If I say no, I don’t want to be hassled every single time. Don’t ask me, don’t pop up a bar saying ‘this page needs a plug-in you disabled’.

3. Because of my problems with relation to the flash plug-in harassment, I eventually installed flash. It would be nice to disable it by default and only enable it for approved sites. For example, I might want my flash plug-in to work when I go to popcap.com (web games site), but not when I go to rottentomatoes.com (movie review site). I would like IE 7 to remember these choices and not ask me every time. This should affect an entire domain, so that any page that is a subset of rottentomatoes.com will automatically not enable flash without asking me, while any popcap.com page will allow flash without asking me.

4. When you exit IE 7 and have multiple tabs open, it asks me if I want to re-open these tabs the next time I launch IE 7. There is also a check box that says, “Don’t ask me again”. Checking the “Don’t ask me again” checkbox unchecks the re-open tabs box. Can you please allow me to set the default; do not ask me again behavior to allow me to always re-open previously closed tabs? This is one reason I do not have automatic updates set to fully automatic. If an update requires a reboot, I may come back to work the next day and find the 10 web pages I had opened to useful documents gone.

Just think how much better Team Fortress would be if that were true!

IE 7 tweaks: Get Firefox.

Those all sound perfectly reasonable to me. Particularly the last one – if that’s really the behavior, that’s completely absurd.

He should develop a game with Hrose.

Would it ever get out of the planning stage? ;)

Reasonable suggestions, though. MS could learn from firewall programs, where
they remember a block/permission until a program is modified. Maybe extend it
too also check the DLLs that are linked to the executable.