Is this Antec PSU any good?

Whadd’ya all think of this Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU?

Rest of the system specs:

Athlon XP 2500+, 1GB PC2700 RAM, 128MB GeForce 6600GT AGP, ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, two ATA 133 7200 RPM HDs, floppy, one CD burner, one DVD burner.

First, it has plenty of power to run your system. I have an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W modular PSU in my system and it powers the Asus A8N-SLi Premium, 2 GB RAM, Athlon 64 x2 4400+, two HDs (SATA 500GB & 250 GB), 8800GTS 640MB “superclocked”, an X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series card (it has the front I/O panel), and DVD burner (and the three 120mm fans) just peachy. It gives you 34A total on the 12V rails (mine does 36A). Mine has two fans, with the external fan only coming on when it’s required, and that keeps noise down a bit, but it shouldn’t be so bothersome that the Earthwatts won’t do you fine. It’s also not so expensive that you’ll have to be bothered by upgrading it again sometime in the future when you boost the rest of the components of your system.

I’d say it’s a good choice. It doesn’t mention the modular design, so I’m guessing it’s not part of it, but you may end up using all the cables anyway so that’s not necessarily an issue. I’ve had mine for a couple of years before I just used the final cable when I got my 8800GTS recently (to keep it off the same connections as a fan).

Thanks for the reply–this would be for my older rig, so it may be overkill, I don’t know. Basically, I think the PSU in my older machine is defective somehow because it’s turning itself off a few seconds after I hit the computer’s power on button when coming back from “soft off” but not from “true off” with the switch on the back flipped–more details here in another recent thread of mine.

BTW, it’s only about 16 months out from new, which pisses me off–also an Antec, but a TruePower 2 480W. Still have the receipt, so it’s going back to Antec.

Yeah, the PSU is the easiest thing to change to see if the problem gets fixed (and probably the cheapest of replacement components). Even if it’s not the issue, having a back up PSU isn’t a bad thing. You could always grab a PSU tester (sorry, I’m in Canada, so that’s a Canadian page). Here’s some Newegg one’s if you’re interested.

I’ve got that Earthwatts 500W PSU in my work machine. It seems to be working just fine.

Antec must feel that they are pretty solid, because they are now shipping these things out as replacement parts for their piece-of-crap SmartPower 450W PSUs that they were bundling with the Sonata 2. I know this because Antec RMA sent me an Earthwatts 500W PSU after the second time I had a SmartPower 450W fail on me.

I just installed the Earthwatts 430 as a replacement in my wife’s older machine (we’re going to replace it eventually, but the old PSU died, so, what can you do?). Seems like a good PSU for the money, so the 500 should be just as nice.

Don’t buy any PSU that doesn’t have the 8-pin PCIe connector, because it won’t be future-proof.

The Earthwatts PSUs do have those, at least the 430 and 500w models do; I think the 350 does as well.