Is this the best console week of the year?

Nier: Automata is right around the corner as well (and I think it’s already out in Japan), and people are raving over it on Reddit, calling it GotY, best Platinum game, etc. Since it’s done by the A team at Platinum, I’m indeed expecting great things of it.

That said, it’s not a console (PS4) exclusive - it’s coming for the PC as well at some point, though when exactly is still open.

It’s all good - just holding out until Mass Effect is released, that day will be Christmas, Thanksgiving and my birthday all wrapped up together.

Plus my Qanba Obsidian arrives this week (hopefully)! Yay!

I can’t tell if this is just Nier superfans hyping it up or if it’s actually a great game.

FWIW, there seem to be frame pacing issues on both the PS4 and PS4 Pro in the open world sections. I’m going to try to wait for the PC version.

Obligatory reminder horizon is a Ubisoft game. You will collect shit in a UI filled with 3D hud elements and will climb something that will look like a tower. Why? because.

I thought Horizon was by the same studio that did the Killzone game? Is that part of Ubi now?

Uh so Zero Dawn is developed by Guerilla Games and published by Sony. Any resemblance to an Ubi-game is pure coincidence.

Teiman may be using Ubigame as a genre designation rather than a literal part of the design process. The reviewers seemed to agree that it’s better than the shallow Ubi crap we usually get.

It’s not Ubisoft at all.

For the sake of clarification, last week’s Giant Bombcast talked about how it on the surface looks like it could be a Ubisoft style open world game, but even filling the map with icons is optional (you can purchase maps or something if you don’t want to just explore) and even then, they reined back pretty hard on all that stuff. For example, you can climb “towers” to get the lay of the land, but not only is the context of doing so well explained within the game world, there are only around 4 (Jeff was sure it was just four) times in the entire game you do it, so it feels like a fun little bonus and not something that gets tiring and wears out its welcome.

I am happy to be wrong. :D

And now Nier:Automata is getting glowing reviews AND I’m starting to see a few previews of Persona 5 with nothing but praise. If ME: Andromeda is any good we might have to change this thread title to “Is the 1st Quarter of 2017 the best gaming year of the decade?”

That’s a big ‘if’… ;)

I’ll certainly pick up Nier on PC near the 17th, I have plenty to keep me going until then, if not longer.

And Persona 5 … it’s been a long time coming, but I’m in for that too!

Persona 5 reviews are out…and it’s apparently incredible. This release schedule is just unfair.

I was wondering recently if fall was going to be the domain of corporate mega franchises and spring would be where all the great new IPs and slightly lower tier games end up.

This has probably been going on for a while so it’s probably common knowledge. I just hadn’t thought about it.

The last major game I remember buying in the fall was Skyrim. There may have been others.

Yeah that’s certainly possible. I don’t think it’s a coincidence then that these new IPs and “lower-tier” property’s are pulling in great reviews. I hope developers are taking notice of this recent slate of truly awesome games.

I do remember talking about this now on QT3. But this spring has been so intense that I started thinking about it again.

The nice thing is I can leave some games until later in the year. I’ve wanted to play so many at release this year that it’s been tough. And I’ve skipped half the popular ones.

Yea Black Friday this year is going to start building on a new backlog after giving up on the old backlog. Old habits die hard.

Oh that’s right. I’d forgotten about that aspect. All these great games are going to be cheap as hell come Black Friday.

This will surely disrupt my current backlog plan.

Must finish Witcher 3 before Black Friday. Must finish Witcher 3 before Black Friday. Must finish Witcher 3 before Black Friday.

I bought Neir, preordered Persona 5, and bought some Vita/PSP stuff on sale over the last few days from PSN. So naturally Sony sent me a 15% coupon to celebrate my 5 year anniversary this morning.