Is Vicodin the king of prescription painkillers?

I was prescribed some today for a mouth ulcer, and let me tell you… all is currently just fine in my world. JUST. FINE.

Surely the big V is the king of prescription painkillers. Anyone care to comment or disagree?

So did you up your dose, against Doctor’s recommendations? Or did you take whatever it suggests on the bottle.

The bottle says “Take 1 to 2 tablets”.

I took one earlier today and it didn’t do anything for me.

Took 2 this evening, and now my pain is a distant memory and I am a very happy camper to boot.

Vicodin is good stuff. I’ve been on it for about a year now for my ruptured discs. Don’t take more than is reccomended, however - it will both build a tolerance, which reduces the effectiveness of its painkilling, AND give you incredibly bad constipation, not something any sane person desires. Used properly, it’s a great substance. It can’t make the worst of my pain spikes go away, but it really REALLY helps to dull all the others, and lets me find positions where I can sit or lie without pain. It sounds kinda silly, but when you’ve learned to live with constant pain, just finding something that relieves you of it for a couple of hours is an incredible thing.

Vicodin is indeed good stuff. However, it’s highly addictive, too, so be careful. I have chronic kidney stones, and have found out first hand just how addictive Vicodin can be.

Also, Vicodin is great, but it has nothing on Percocet and Demerol. :)

asjunk

Ugh, I had Demerol in the hospital once. It made me puke all my red jello. During that same stay they had me on a machine where you pressed a button to get a morphine dose. All it did was make me tired.

Well, Vicodin does all I need - gets rid of most of my pain, most of the time. Anything stronger would wipe me out totally. Even the vicodin is awfully good at making me sleepy all the time and totally killing my motivation. :(

I still swear by extra strength Excedrine. Two are good, three are great, four kills any pain evar, five make you giggle for a few hours. six was only attempted once and induced vomiting and high hilarity for a while. Great stuff. Can’t get it in England so I have to get it sent over by my grandmother. Valium is another winner but also hard to get hold of!!

I thought Oxycontin was all the rage with you pill-poppin’ kidz. Where does it rank?

When I had my 3 ear surgeries where they cut behind my ear a laid it forward to drill out diseased bone and tissue, I don’t think I had much more than Lortab and it made me so nauseated after prolonged use that I switched to the Advil as soon as the pain was at tolerable levels. Crazy how different drugs react differently to people’s physiology.

Excedrine is worthless crap. Got a headache, fine, take some. Got a ruptured sack of gelatin squeezing off the nerve trunks from your spinal chord? Amazingly enough, Excedrine won’t do shit for you. I spent two years taking conventional painkillers as doctor after doctor looked at xrays, worthless for diagnosing disc problems, and said “VERTEBRAE LOOK FINE, YOU’RE IMAGINING THE PROBLEM!”

Bitter?

Me?

Not at all.

That’s not too surprising. All the opiate family have a tendancy to really fuck with your gastro-intestinal system, unfortunately. Thus the nausea, cramps, constipation, etc, etc. It’s bad stuff. It really is. The “high” is occasionally amusing, but frankly, I can’t wait until I don’t need this stuff to walk anymore.

Excedrine is worthless crap. Got a headache, fine, take some. Got a ruptured sack of gelatin squeezing off the nerve trunks from your spinal chord? Amazingly enough, Excedrine won’t do shit for you. I spent two years taking conventional painkillers as doctor after doctor looked at xrays, worthless for diagnosing disc problems, and said “VERTEBRAE LOOK FINE, YOU’RE IMAGINING THE PROBLEM!”

Bitter?

Me?

Not at all.[/quote]

Excedrine and whisky helped me through sprained ankles and migraines. Mixed with ice it helped with my back problems. Admittedly my troubles aren’t as serious as yours but I truly sympathise with the constant pain. 5 yrs and counting for me. Reached the stage where a day without pain is bliss. :(

There’s something that I didn’t need to read while eating breakfast.

Sad god damned statement on our quality of life, isn’t it? Heh. Well, I try not to look at it that way, but the thought does inescapably creep in sometimes. I’m just glad my employers at Gameshark have been understanding about the occasional delays when I end up sleeping 18 hours in a day, or the like.

Sad god damned statement on our quality of life, isn’t it? Heh. Well, I try not to look at it that way, but the thought does inescapably creep in sometimes. I’m just glad my employers at Gameshark have been understanding about the occasional delays when I end up sleeping 18 hours in a day, or the like.[/quote]

One of my school nicknames was ‘the painkiller kid’. After a ahile I learned to control it with things like yoga, tai chi and proper stretching exercises so I manage to hum along alright. Good luck with yours man!!

Managed to avoid ever having to go on pain-killers. Not to keen on the idea, either. This will likely change if I ever ended up actually being injured.

This is exactly the mindset I had before I fukd my back.

There’s something that I didn’t need to read while eating breakfast.[/quote]

That was the PG version. You should see the pictures they showed my Mom in the waiting room and me after 6 hours of surgery and fresh outta the recovery room. Good times.

I had a girlfriend who was prescribed vicodin after a minor surgical procedure. She was in AA, so she didn’t really want to fool with the vicodin unless it was absolutely necessary. So guess who got it?

Might I recommend vicodin wtih a glass of nice Chardonnay?

-Tom

I used to be WAY addicted to pain pills. I tended to get lorecets most often, though I have tried most of them at some point or another. I’m not proud of those days, so be very careful. Narcotics are dangerous.