Islands of Nyne -- sci-fi battle royale

Very positive article, and I must say I’m intrigued. Anyone try this yet?

Hey, umm, this post somehow wound up in the nether realm and is not actually in a category.

Ooops my bad added to games. Thanks for that.

Inb4 genre fatigue. I don’t mind that so many folks are hopping into the battle royale space. The game mode is great. But I’m not sure what they’re offering other than vague promises of “better servers” and “designed for e-sports,” which are just nonsense buzzwords until they give specifics.

I think there’s (shrinking) room for a game that matches the seriousness of PUBG with the frequent update schedule of Fortnite. Maybe this will be that! I don’t fault them for trying.

A mall aisle, 100 game boxes drop, only one box can survive.

I saw it on a stream. Seems faster than most BR games, for the CS:GO crowd maybe.

It also has one of the best parachuting implementations:

that bunny hopping, ugh

Nah, Isles of Nyne doesn’t have anyone beat (judging what i’ve just seen in that video above.) It’s the Unreal Tournament to Quake. It doesn’t have the It factor, imo. It will appeal to a certain crowd that wants a bit of more traditional weapons but for some reason doesn’t want to go back to PUBG. It might even have it’s day in the sun and “win” a good number of players for a month of so. But everyone will go back to PUBG or Fortnite in the end.

I think it really hurts that it’s the lowest of low sci fi. Still have UMP and AWM and Generic Assault Rifle and brown-grey wood buildings and blah blah blah. But you have shields… or something. Even though the shields… don’t recharge, and you have to heal with a stim pack. Or something. At least there’s Sci Fi stuff in the atmosphere background?

I respect Ars Technica a lot, but Sam is just off on this one. It doesn’t look nearly as good as he made it out to be, and I didn’t really see any wow factor. Of course I read his write-up before looking at anything so I was expecting something amazing, instead it’s like generic wood building #23 from the video above.

Maybe Sam has seen and knows stuff we don’t?

It’s possible it totally sucks! The premise and article seemed interesting at least.

It certainly did! :)

Considering they got kickstarted two months after PUBG started development, I doubt that.

Early Access release on Steam later today (3 pm EST, 9 pm CEST). No idea what the price will be, but rumors say something between $20 and $30.

But, personally, I don’t really see what they are bringing to the BR table in order to be a premium title. A very soft sci-fi setting? At least run with it instead of being whatever this is.