Isle of Dogs - Fantastic Mr. Fox and Kurosawa combined

Wes Anderson’s next stop-motion film.

April 20th, 2018.

Sounds… interesting. Mr. Fox is a thing, for or despite how impenetrable is. Add that Kurosawa and where we end? To places, we go to places.

Trailer:

It’s now releasing on March 23, 2018

I caught this this afternoon - it was great.

Highly recommended, especially if you are familiar with Japanese culture. The way it handles language and language barriers is interesting - in some ways it it’s probably better to not understand Japanese although there’s some interesting nuances you can pick up if you do.

When my wife mentioned that it also reads “I love dogs” my brain exploded

I also only realized that when someone pointed it out this week.

Oh man, I thought this was delightful. Just really, truly wonderful. Beautiful, funny, and moving. Loved it.

Just saw it and loved it. Beautiful movie.

Is this different than Mr Fox? It looked really Mr Foxish - I thought Fox was great, but it has been done.

Monsters Inc ≠ Cars, How to Train your Dragon ≠ Shrek, My Little Pony ≠ Akira, etc.

Over the weekend my neighbor took all three of her kids to see Isle of Dogs and ten minutes in decided it wasn’t for kids (on this I haven’t formed an opinion, yet to see it) and pulled them all out and jumped into Peter Rabbit instead, and loved every minute. I previously had a fairly high opinion of her parenting. Beatrix Potter, by the way, not only rolled in her grave, she’s on the zombie warpath, out for blood.

Watched it today. Fun movie overall but there is a lot of style over substance, but I really liked all the details. Although it is a fictional Japan setting I think they really did their homework.

The black/red/white space print art style…My parents hosted several Japanese foreign exchange students in our home when I was young. One of them gave us a book with similar artwork. Now I am wondering about it. Is this a specific style?

It’s definitely not for kids. A lot of the humor would be over their heads. There are also references to dog cannibalism, dog death, etc. But the film is excellent, and a must if you liked any of his previous work. I haven’t decided what I rank it yet relative to his other films, but it compares well.

How are you guys seeing this movie already? The OP in this thread says the movie comes out on April 20th. Is that no longer the case? It got released early?

It has a limited release right now, and it looks like it’s opening wide this coming Friday.

Released in the UK last friday.

I would add the voice acting style/direction is similar, but that is about it.

I thought this was kind of dark, not as comical or happy-go-lucky as Fox. I think it is not going to be too well received because people don’t like to deal with negative animal issues and experiences.

I liked the movie and I really like the fact that this is a director making the movie he wants to make with amazing attention to detail.

I don’t love the movie though. I don’t think this will be a movie that I’ll watch again.

I think Mr. Fox is much more powerful than this one, but I can still appreciate Isle of Dogs.

Setting the dogs in a island of trash is probably a bad idea. Is too much like a empty canvas, too abstract. The tones of rebellion and acceptance are way toned down and ruined by the presence of the human patronising it by his presence. My opinion, anyway.

FWIW, my daughters, ages 7 and 5, absolutely love the movie and have watched it 10+ times.

Don’t tell Dingus that I still haven’t seen Fatastic Mr Fox, so I can’t comment on it but I think Isle of Dogs, from a production standpoint is just about perfect. Everything on screen just seems immaculate. Even the junk is just the perfect amount of… junky.

I didn’t connect with emotionally, but I think that has to do with never having a pet. But I sure do think it’s a movie with a director at the height of his power making the movie that he wants to make the way he wants to make it. I can really enjoy and appreciate that kind of artistry.