It is time for the 2019 Quarterlies! Vote for Quarter to Three's Best Game of 2019

1. Disco Elysium : Love this game, fresh, different and awesome
  2. Oxygen Not Included: Honestly played this more in beta than I did once released but a great game
  3. Grim Dawn - Forgotten Gods : Best ARPG EVER, yes I will fight you
  4. Outer Wilds : Enjoyed it but didn’t finish. I needed a clue or two more and didn’t want to cheat.

There are some others I liked like Lonely Mountain Downhill and BaBa is You but not enough to put on a top 5 list. I also played a few hundred hours on 7 Days to Die but that doesn’t qualify.

Quick reminder to everyone that tomorrow is the last day of voting, so get your votes in if you haven’t already.

Last year we had 131 voters, this year we only have 59! :O

If it helps, you can count my votes twice.

It feels a little silly to vote on things when I’ve played like three new things all year, and none of them were exactly what you’d call superlative, but Control came closest, so that. Slay The Spire technically counts, apparently, but I’m pretty sure I voted for it last year, so this is the best I can do.

1. Control
  2. [this space intentionally left blank]
  3. [this space intentionally left blank]
  4. Sunless Skies
  5. Remnant: From The Ashes

@Knightsaber @Dissensus @Profanicus

I know Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield and separate games, but I think you guys maybe should go ahead and either pick one of them or all vote for “Pokemon Sword and Shield”.

As it is you’re all splitting up the votes for the game(s).

Alternatively, I can make them all synonyms and count all Pokemon *** votes as Pokemon 2019 or something, in which case Knightsaber’s second Pokemon vote will not be counted since you can’t double vote for games and it would look like two votes for the same game.

Please sound off with your thoughts.

If a couple people could look over this alphabetical list and point out to me if I have a duplicate of any game due to things being written differently (i.e. Outer Worlds vs The Outer Worlds vs Outer Worlds, The). The list should be a list of unique games right now as is, and not include duplicates like that. With the exception of the Pokemon games as I’ve pointed out in the post above this one. (Sorry @kerzain, I ninja-edited in this exception probably after you started reading the list)

Edit: I believe it has been reviewed enough now, thanks everyone!

Alphabetical Game List

A Plague Tale: Innocence
A Short Hike
Afterparty
Age of Wonders: Planetfall
AI War 2
Amid Evil
Anno 1800
Anthem
Apex Legends
Astral Chain
Baba is You
Bards Tale IV: Directors Cut
Beat Saber
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Borderlands 3
Breakpoint
Bus
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
City of the Big Shoulders
Code Vein
Command: Modern Operations
Control
Darksiders Genesis
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Devil May Cry 5
Dicey Dungeons
DiRT Rally 2.0
Disco Elysium
Divinity Original Sin 2
Dota Underlords
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
Eastshade
Eliza
Era: Medieval Age
Etrian Odyssey: Nexus
Farmer’s Dynasty
Field of Glory: Empires
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
GreedFall
Grim Dawn - Forgotten Gods
Hearthstone: Battlegrounds
Hypnospace Outlaw
IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Bodenplatte
Imperator: Rome
Islanders
Jon Shafer’s At the Gates
Judgment
Langrisser Mobile
Lonely Mountain: Downhill
Lost Ember
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
My Time at Portia
Observation
One Finger Death Punch 2
Outer Wilds
Outward
Oxygen Not Included
P1 Select
Path of Adventure
Pathway
Pax Pamir 2nd edition
Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth
Phoenix Point
PixArk
Pokemon Shield
Pokemon Sword
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
Red Dead Redemption 2
Remnant: From the Ashes
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Return of the Obra Dinn
SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions
Samurai Shodown
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Session
Slay the Spire
Speedrunners
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Steamworld Quest
Stellaris: Ancient Relics
Stranger Things 3: The Game
Streets of Rogue
Sunless Skies
Supraland
Terraforming Mars
Tetris 99
Tetris Effect
The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
The Outer Worlds
Thea 2: The Shattering
Three Kingdoms The Last Warlord
Total War: Three Kingdoms
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Unity of Command II
Untitled Goose Game
Virtua Racing
Void Bastards
Warplan
Wildermyth
Wings Over Flanders Fields Platinum Edition

I didn’t see any dups

Pokémon sword and shield should be one game shouldn’t it? Edit: OK you’re addressing this. Thanks.

No dupes. Just missing apostrophe on Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut and some inconsistencies regarding using colons (and also missing them?) versus a spaced hyphen. However, this is a battle I fight naming my Plex movie collection also so it depends how much OCD you suffer and/or are a stickler for that sort of thing.

Example: Ratbastard: The Movie vs. Ratbastard the Movie

Please see this post where I’m working on addressing that issue. :D Thanks for looking it over!

You should treat Pokémon Sword and Shield as one game for scoring purposes.

I agree, but a particular voter was trying really hard to be clever and it’s thrown a wrench into my plans. :D

Can someone list the same game for 1-5 slots?

Nope, the script only counts the first vote. That’s the stusser rule and I call those overvotes “stusser votes” because stusser tried doing that the first time Bruce and I did this. It was ruled not to allow for supercharging your point allowance that way.

Link to that: It's time for the 2017 Quarterlies! Vote for Quarter to Three's Best Game of 2017

I voted for ‘Pokemon Sword and Shield’, as that’s what it was called in the Wiki article linked in first post. And it was more favourable to not split the votes. :)

Yeah I think it makes the most sense to just add 'em up so I’m going to enjoin all the Pockets Monster.

@Knightsaber - this means you should go ahead and change your extra vote for the Pokey Mans or else it just won’t count for anything. I apologize in advance if you feel as though you are being specifically targeted for your views on the Poketymen.

I mean, you ARE, but I still apologize. :D

I’m waiting on Disco Elysium to hit Xbox One before I play it, so I’m expecting it’ll be next year’s Slay the Spire.

This topic has been great for backlog prioritization. Had both Slay the Spire and Control in my “to play” pile.

Alright.

Edit: All Switch-ed. Ha.

There isn’t enough difference between them to drive voting IMO. Most sites will do what you’re doing and conflate the two as they have with all the other games before this released day and date with one another.

Also Pokemon is way more awesome than Call of Doody.

1. Disco Elysium - I loved the world of Revachol the developers created. Encountering the stories of how the trauma of the past has shaped the resilience of the people trying to make it through life was easily the most engaging game experience I had in 2019. Definitely a hall of fame debut game. It’s the closet thing to the city block game Warren Spector used to say was his dream project.

2. Remnant: From the Ashes - Just phenomenal feeling combat. I wish there were more environmental puzzles, but I can’t be disappointed with a game that provides the best 3rd person shooting feedback since Resi 4. Crowd controlling enemies by staggering them with knee shots and rolling out of the way of a charging beast was terrific. Biggest surprise of the year for me.

3. Ion Fury - The best old school FPS throwback is the only one with strong art direction and built on ancient tech that provides a level of authenticity inaccessible by projects that fake it with Unity or Unreal 4.

4. Control - A big return to form for Remedy. Everything that I loved about Max Payne’s combat amplified and supported by their coolest universe yet. Loved this thing!

5. Outer Wilds - I still haven’t finished it because I’ve been a little pressed for time, but I can the nature of exploration the game offers is something truly novel.

Games I need to get around to playing properly: Metro Exodus, Red Dead Redemption 2 PC (only just made it passed the prologue), and Sekiro.