It’s the 20:20 movie frame game of 2018!

There is no way Dingus would pick The Sand, right?

We have a winner! It’s Magic Mike XXL.

The 40:40 pretty much gives the game away:

Lando shows up for the 60:60

The 80:80 provides us with more Channing Tate-yum.

The 100:100

Over to you @WhollySchmidt

DAMMIT.

It was my immediate guess just because I don’t know that many movies with Joe Manganiello, but I didn’t want to guess since it’s a pain in the ass to capture frames these days (every iOS trick I know of has been patched away).

I was just surprised no one else had made that guess so I finally broke down.

I’ll try to figure something out tonight, we’ll see if I can get some frames of something from my ancient Mac Mini…

Does iOS still have VLC player?

Sure, but I don’t have a digital movie collection outside of iTunes and streaming services. They’ve all cracked down on allowing screenshots.

Yes, my old ‘double tap home button then take a screenshot of the panes’ trick no longer works. Last time I literally had to resort to taking pictures of my laptop screen, with the laptop in the closet to block ambient light.

Fricking annoying, so let me know what you figure out, since I need a new approach.

Okay, I’ve been out of the iOS ecosystem for a while now, what’s the issue with screenshots that they would suddenly block that?

Something something movie studios. Probably a side effect of them trying to prevent video capture off Netflix and the like.

I really don’t know, other than about a month or two ago it stopped working.

I just spent a while investigating and you and Wholly are right. It’s anti-DRM crackdown. How f’n strange it’s via screenshots?!?

I’m a fan of Snagit on PC for work reasons. I see they have an iOS app, but I’m betting it too would be limited for any of the movie playing apps.

Can’t you just use the Print Screen button and edit out the extraneous information using Paint?

-xtien

Nope. If you do, the frame just blacks out the movie area on iOS. That used to be what I did. Then I had to trick it by clicking another app, making Netflix not the active app, but viewable in the fan out. Then they got wise to that, so that no longer works.

That’s so weird. I don’t get how taking screenshots does anything but create buzz for a movie. Maybe they’re just protecting actors who get nude.

-xtien

Well plans A and B didn’t work, but plan C probably will. It will be tonight before I get a frame up though, thanks for your patience.

Can you not just use the Netflix web player and take a screenshot of your browser? That still works for me.

That would probably work, but I was trying to grab a screenshot from a movie I already had in my iTunes library, and I just didn’t think about firing up my ancient Mac and checking Netflix for a good alternative.

I still have a 3rd gen iPad that’s stuck at a version of iOS from before they started blanking out video screenshots, so I’m going to take screenshots that way, but that iPad is also old enough that even getting iTunes movies onto it is a hassle. It won’t reliably stream them directly—it stutters and makes precision seeking almost impossible—and downloading them can take hours because for some reason it will keep restarting the download randomly. I left it downloading overnight so I can take the screenshots today.

For me, as soon as I try pausing Netflix (or Amazon Prime too) in a web browser, it darkens the picture and pops up an overlay, which contains the movie title. Is there some option where I can disable that?

Turns out I had the time to go home at lunch and capture the frames off the ancient iPad, so here’s a 20:20

13 going on 30.

Nope.

Well okay, have a 40:40