It’s time for the 2018 Quarterlies! Vote for Quarter to Three’s Best Game of 2018

I suppose these are my biggest picks for games that came out this year:

1. Helium Rain
  2. ADIOS Amigos: A Space Physics Odyssey
  3. Overload
  4. Star Traders: Frontiers
  5. Scavenger SV-4

If I look at the games I played the most this year, then rank them in the order in which I enjoyed them, here we go:

1. Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition
  2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  3. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
  4. State of Decay 2
  5. Battlefield V

My actual most played game this year was Hearthstone, but this was a shitty year for expansions so I’m not ranking it. We’re basically playing with last year’s cards still, all the cards from this year are irrelevant except for 2 (Baku and Genn)

Helium Rain almost made my top 10. I’m glad someone chose it as #1 because it’s a great game.

What the heck is Helium Rain?

A pretty good, streamlined X-like space trading/empire building game that came out of Early Access this year.

EDIT: it’s also hard(ish) sci-fi, which is a rare thing these days.

Way to make a man cry, man.

Hmmm, how X-like? Confusing hard to learn controls, fairly non-existent story, and so on?

X-like in the sense that you’ll do trading most of the time, and you can also build stations, mess with the economy for profit, and go to war against other corporations. But it’s considerably streamlined compared to X, and the UI is mostly competent (even with the “trade routes” interface being a bit more confusing than it could be). There’s also no story to speak of, as far as I know.

Anyway, it’s streamlined X. You’ll essentially do the same things, but most things are easier to do. Being streamlined, there are less options for trade goods/ships/etc., but it does allow for a faster, more… well… streamlined experience.

I’d say it’s well worth exploring for X fans. Of the X-inspired games, it’s the one I enjoyed the most by far.

Straightforward controls, excellent tutorial, fantastic UI…

On the subject of Subnautica, I can say that a half-hour with a first-person swimming game is likely to end with me bent over a toilet followed by 2 hours in a dark room with a cold compress on my forehead, so I’ll pass.

Play it in 15 minute chunks, then.

Ha ha ha, I like your word choice there.

Hey @buzznaut can you unbold the numbers and then bold Northgard?

Northgard needs all the bolding it can be given, its fantastic and should be in at least everyone’s top 10, if you like RTS.

I forgot to add Railway Empire to my honorable mentions. I might bump Decrypto off my list if I manage to get in enough playtime to see how well-cut Railway Empire is. Right now it seems to be a diamond in the rough, but it sure does sparkle.

Now I have to decide between Obra Dinn, which made me feel smarter than I probably am, and Celeste, which made me feel like I was better at platformers than I probably am.

I have a feeling these are the same game, but could one of you figure out what it’s really called and whoever is wrong maybe fix up the name?

Thanks!

1. Pillars of Eternity 2
    It’s just a great RPG with few frustration and great replayability.

2. Slay the Spire
    Yes.

3. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
    It’s not perfect in any way, but it gave me the most beautiful world there is. Gameplay is fine too, it’s freeform and varied. Feels more like an ancient world Deus Ex rather than those boring slashers of older days.

4. Into the Breach
    Yes.

5. Hitman 2

I guess it’s great, I’ve spent a lot of time on Hitman 1 and only toe deep in Hitman 2.

Haven’t played that many of 2018 games, played a lot of older titles this year. Some games like Kingdom Come Deliverance, Prey Mooncrash turned out to be disappointing. Slay the Spire, RimWorld and Star Traders Frontiers, Pathfinder Kingmaker feel great but they require a deep dive before I can say anything, and StS is still in Early Access.

Fixed my error.

Second best game of 2018, but too early to say anything about it yet? :-)