It’s time for the 2018 Quarterlies! Vote for Quarter to Three’s Best Game of 2018

I think it’s just that the votes are sort of wasted. Maybe it’s just a product of there being so many games coming out now that it’s hard to find consensus picks anymore unless it’s something truly eye opening?

It’s cool. I posted anyway. I got to play Battlefield V recently so it made the list a little more valid even if that too is almost completely unrepresented.

I’m glad you posted. I know you said upthread that you wouldn’t because they would be throwaway votes. Being a forum, Qt3 is a series of topics that certain subsets of people go into. I’ve never been in the Slay the Spire thread, or any thread labelled BSG Forum game, or any board gaming thread, or a whole bunch of genres that I don’t play. But I still enjoy hearing about people’s passion for those things when they come up in the general, more communal threads at Qt3 that everyone visits, like the Bargain thread, or threads like this that vote on our game of the year. It’s a chance to be in a virtual fair where you might run across Qt3 members that you don’t normally see since you don’t share the same sub-interests. But it’s still great to hear from them, and to read about why they like their particular sub-interest.

Exactly. And if people only voted for popular stuff, I wouldn’t buy half the s*** in my library. When I see people pull out some super obscure game like Scavenger SV-4, and put it on a game of the year list, I’m pretty much convinced to buy it on the spot. Sure I’ll do a little background check on it, but if someone is passionate enough about some unknown little indie game to put it on a list like this, I know I’ve got to check it out.

Although I can’t say the same about votes for a known entity like Red Dead Redemption 2, it’s those little “throwaway” votes that really get my attention.

So, for me, this thread might serve a couple different purposes. Not only do I want to see how the forum weighs all big titles overall, it’s a way for me to discover little games that might only have been mentioned in threads I’ve never come within a thousand feet of.

I just got done watching dunkey’s video which is really good btw…

…and now I almost want to put ZeroRanger in my list because it really is that good. He has some excellent picks in there.

I’m intrigued by what you said about this game, I’ve been a long time P&C sceptic, but I do look to have my mind changed. Last year I played both The Red Strings Club and Unavowed (ninth and eleventh respectively on my GOTY list) and I thought they were both innovative examples of the genre, did you play them and how does Lamplight City compare?

1. Battletech
  2. Rimworld
  3. Slay the Spire

I enjoy reading what others played, and sometimes something I may not have heard of is mentioned and I wishlist it!

Wait, I thought you wishlisted every game on Steam?

download

Anime, VR, and most visual novels are never wishlisted!

I like seeing everyone’s picks, especially the more obscure ones that I wasn’t aware of (Scavenger SV-4!). I don’t think of them as wasted at all.

@arrendek would you be willing to run a quarterlies maybe with people’s picks of their best games of the last 5 years? That way we can revisit games from previous years that maybe people didn’t have a chance to play in time for the quarterlies. Maybe we could limit the options to the top 10 of the last 5 quarterlies if easier. I would certainly be interested in this.

@buzznaut, your formatting is wrong and the votes won’t be counted. You need to bold just the game name, not the whole line.

I certainly could. The script won’t take much work to adjust to a top 10 and it’s still fresh in my mind so it should be easy to work on right now.

I’d be down for this. I only got around to trying Shadow Warrior long, long after it came out, and I would totally consider it for a spot in some sort of top ten list of the last five years. I didn’t know what I was missing. And there’s other titles I didn’t try until significant sales started 12+ months after a game’s release wh8ch kept them off the timely lists.

I think this is a good idea since it would mitigate the “five games I played” element.

Hey everyone! Voting ends tonight (in 13.5 hours?)! So get those votes in!

So far, turn out this year has been much better than last year. The scores are pretty high comparatively.

I have a feeling you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Dragon Quest XI Echoes of the Elusive Age
  3. Pillars of Eternity 2
  4. Slay the Spire
  5. God of War

I updated my post

1. Dead Cells
  2. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  3. Slay the Spire
  4. Exapunks
  5. God of War

1. Battletech