It’s time for the 2018 Quarterlies! Vote for Quarter to Three’s Best Game of 2018

1. Pillars of Eternity 2
  2. Slay the Spire
  3. Into the Breach
  4. Dragon Quest XI
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2

1 - This is an easy one for me. I find the mechanics and tactical combat in this game to be incredibly satisfying, along with some outstanding writing and world building, memorable characters and moments, and to top it all off, it’s one of the best looking games of the year. It helps Josh Sawyer personally saw to it I got an advanced copy of the game before launch, and that my videos we really well received, but I am playing it a second time these days (just hit level 14 and doing the first DLC) and I’m just amazed at the post-launch support and content for this. It just keeps giving.

2 - Others have said it, but it bears repeating - Slay the Spire is freaking incredible. It’s a perfect game to play while you watch some TV or a movie, and every run is completely different from the last. I just did a run (after nearly 200 hours) with the Defect class that used every orb type in the toolbox, for the first time, and pulled out a victory. Just incredible, and they will be working on this and adding more content post-launch, making me think this will end up on my top 5 for 2019, as well.

3 - Into the Breach is up there with Slay the Spire, though it being a little less replayable (not by much, however) and something I played months ago put it at number 3. But it’s probably the most tactically satisfying game I played this year, and something I come back to again and again. It looks cool, it feels good to just command your little mechs, and it’s constantly making me feel both amazing and dumb as a bag of rocks in turn. So freaking well made.

4 - DQ 11 is not a game I would have thought to make it on my top 5, not in a year with Pathfinder Kingmaker launching for sure, let alone all the other great games I did play, but man, this game. It’s so relaxing, it’s fun, and it’s massive! It never felt like a chore to fire it back up and get back into it, even after 3 weeks of straight play to get to the final, final ending. The way the game sets up act 2 (let alone act 3) is genius. The characters, the story, the combat, it all comes together so well. It’s a classic for sure, the best Dragon Quest game easily, and I’m eager to play it all over again some time down the road.

5 - RDR 2 is such a master achievement, both technically and from a story telling perspective. I’ve never been pulled into a world and its inhabitants in a rockstar game like this one, and I got swept up hard. This game got me watching dozens of westerns I’d missed or haven’t seen for ages bot leading up to and after launch! It’s gorgeous, as well as one of those games that just feels “right” to play, from how it felt to mosey a horse through town to taking cover behind a barrel and returning fire. In fact, I started playing The Witcher 3 after RDR 2 and controlling Geralt felt so off I had to uninstall it. RDR 2 just nails so many things.

1. Slay the Spire
    It really never does get old. An endless source of interest, whenever I sit down to play something else, I inevitably fire it up for a round first - and often wind up playing this all evening.

2. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
    I haven’t liked AC games much in the past. They look great, they hold your interest for a bit, then they get monotonous. Not this one. They hit a home run here.

3. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
    I don’t generally like JRPG’s either, but this game hooked its talons into me and didn’t let go for a good 140 hours. SO MUCH CONTENT. Dear lord. Once you think you’ve finished, a whole new post-game opens up. Highly recommended.

4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    This has been such a banner year for gaming that this game, which could have placed #1 in many other years, drops to #4. It’s beautiful, it’s gritty, gripping story - it really does everything right.

I don’t yet have a #5. Played Battletech - meh. Played Monster Hunter World - meh. Still have several in the backlog that I haven’t booted up yet.

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  3. Two Point Hospital
  4. Vampyr
  5. Railway Empire

For some reason that eludes me, I’ve recused myself from voting in the past. If no one minds, I’m going to vote this year.

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  3. Cultist Simulator
  4. Overload
  5. State of Decay 2

Finally! So glad to see this gem called out by someone else. The jokers I do the podcast with hadn’t even heard of it!

Do you play it like a twin-stick shooter? Don’t you lose a lot of the gunplay finesse without being able to choose a specific aim point with the mouse cursor?

Goddammit, another one I overlooked. :( Somehow I completely spaced (ha!) on this and Deep Sixed when I was putting together year-end lists. Can I call a do-over?

-Tom

@tomchick can you go back and bold your choices so that the script picks them up?

1. Return of the Obra Dinn
  2. Battletech
  3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  4. Far Cry 5
  5. Vampyr

Haven’t gotten around to trying Pillars of Eternity 2, Warhammer 40k: Gladius or Kingdom Come Deliverance yet, sadly.

1. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  2. God of War
  3. State of Decay 2
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2

I don’t play a lot of new games :(

1. OOTP 19
  2. Synthetik

I believe those are all the games I have played that actually released this year.

I think I only played one game released in 2018:

1. Rimworld

But damn if it doesn’t deserve all the points I can give it anyway.

I’d also say Total Warhammer 1, because it is the only other recent game I’ve played, and is also damn good, but I guess it wasn’t 2018.

I’ve only played 3 games released in 2018 so far so:

1. Subnautica : The most interesting survival/exploration game since 2012’s Miasmata
  2. Battletech : A solid turn-based tactics game with giant robots.
  3. HITMAN 2 : A direct sequel/continuation/basically expansion for HITMAN 2016 with some new features and even larger levels.

P.S. @tomchick can you make the numbers not bold? Holy Jeebus…

1. Battletech
  2. FarCry 5
  3. Super Mega Baseball 2 : Unfortunately don’t spend that much time on XBone
  4. Fallout 76: An undeniably cynical, broken release by Bethsoft. I have hundreds of hours in it

I haven’t played anything that screams GOTY. Kassandra might have suggested it.

1. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  2. Forza Horizon 4
  1. Yakuza Kiwami 2
    I only discovered the Yakuza games recently, and I love them. There is something about punching people instead of shooting them…
    Since my SO is studying Ancient Greek it is nice to be able to show her Ancient Greece.
  3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    Yes, this game has many flaws, but this combination of ancient ruins, bad guys and supernatural stuff triggers my childhood love for all things Indiana Jones.
  4. Final Fantasy XV
    Finally a game where you can drive for 15 minutes just to go fishing.
  5. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
    Very wholesome experience if you have played Heavy Rain just before.

What a n00b

Would you mind telling what were the things you didn’t like? I don’t have any interest for soccer, yet that game has looked very intriguing to me for a long time, and I’m curious about it.

Lolz!

1. Yakuza 0 (PC)
  3. Monster Hunter World
  4. Soul Calibur VI
  5. Rimworld

Also:

1. Dragon Quest XI
  2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  3. Mutant Football League: Dinasty Edition
  4. Pillars of Eternity 2
  5. Subnautica