"It seems quite suspect that abortion providers do not already do this."

Two identical bills in front of the Michigan state legislature would add more obstacles to women seeking abortions in the state; under the proposed legislation, doctors would be required to perform an ultrasound, ask the woman if she’d like to listen to the heartbeat, and—in a new twist—“offer to provide the patient with a physical picture of the ultrasound image of the fetus.” Reports the Michigan Messenger:

[quote]All of this is to be done at least two hours before the abortion procedure and women would be required to sign a statement acknowledging that these offers had been made…

“We are all for maximum information being given to any woman seeking an abortion, or any other major operation, for that matter,” said James Muffett, president of Citizens for Traditional Values which supports the legislation. “It seems quite suspect that abortion providers do not already do this. Maybe they know that there really is a living baby in the womb and if the mother saw that, she might change her mind.”
[/quote]

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/04/michigan-anti-abortion-bills-ultrasound-photo

They also want to have the mother beat the fetus in a game of rock, paper, scissors but that didn’t fly because the fetus always picked rock.

OH shit. You almost got me in trouble at work.

H.

“We are all for maximum information being given to any woman seeking an abortion, or any other major operation, for that matter,” said James Muffett, president of Citizens for Traditional Values which supports the legislation. “It seems quite suspect that abortion providers do not already do this. Maybe they know that there really is a living baby in the womb and if the mother saw that, she might change her mind.”

An (early-stage) abortion is not a major operation.
“maximum information” is, from what I know, not given to a person seeking a medical procedure of similar risk.

Do the people pushing this really think there’s anyone out there who does not know that a fetus is alive? Just because something is alive doesn’t mean it’s inherently immoral to kill it.

These people think they’re saving babies, but all they’re really doing is making a decision that’s already extremely difficult for most women even more distressing and emotionally harmful.

All in the name of saving something with the cognitive abilities of a shrimp. Bleh.

But it’s cute that they try to spin it into a patient’s right to information. How classy.

I agree with you Resonance. Trying to make these women feel worse in such a stressful situation is much more immoral than disposing of a clump of stem cells…

The funny part is that if someone proposed that women should be told exactly what the cognitive capability of a 4, 8 and 18 week fetus and compare it to an existing animal you’d have everyone screaming their throats sore about how it’d be overstepping of the physician’s job.

I’m all for this, as long as if the abortionees say “yes” the doctor then has to show them pictures of crack babies, statistics on the earning potential of unwed mothers who don’t finish high school, and make them watch an episode of that MTV Teen Mom show.

There is so much messed up shit happening in the State of Michigan in the last year I’m really having trouble keeping track.

There’s good money in being hugely irresponsible:

Earlier this year it was reported the teen stars of the hit MTV show make around $60,000-65,000 for an 11-episode season

I want a picture of the pig, bull, rat or whatever animal my meat comes from right there on the package. In the future, every packet of meat will have a little OLED screen with a video of the animal being slaughtered. It’s morally responsible.

The new value proposition (and commercial differentiator) will be the quality of the animal’s death. Low-end meat sees industrial slaughter on a filthy warehouse floor, well-bred organic meat has its throat gently slit in a tastefully lit abattoir with strains of Mozart drifting through the air.

I’d go one step further and genetically engineer the animal to speak so they can come out to the table at the restaurant and make a personal recommendation of which part of them would be nice to eat (like the bit from the Restaurant at the end of the Universe)

I’m not convinced that an animal would know which part of it is the best to eat. How many of them get a chance to taste themselves (or others of their kind)?