Itchy ankles driving me crazy

In the winter, my ankles develop crazy itches. It keeps me awake at night. I assume it’s low humidity drying out my skin and that’s one place the skin is thin, but even with a humidifier I struggle with this at night.

I have probably 7 bottles of “Intense skin healing” and “anti-itch” creams at home. But even the over the counter hydrocortisone doesn’t seem to stop the itching for more than 20 minutes.

Anything out there that qualifies as a miracle for this issue?

I use this for my feet:

It is the most amazing cream for dry skin. They also sell a formula made for hands so make sure that it is the one for feet. I would rub it on my feet and ankles. I used to work in a steel mill and my feet were atrocious so I think this is worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS2ED02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah me too, but I get this and I live in damp bogland Britain so I don’t think it’s a humidity thing. My pet theory is that it’s do with moving from warm (indoors) to cold (outdoor) temperatures and vice versa with any kind of frequency. I’ve not had it so bad this year presumably because I’ve not been following my usual mixed day routine thanks to Covid-19 and working almost entirely from home (so mostly warm indoors with the odd trip out for a walk).

All that said, despite the crazy itchy ankles/shins/calves (sometimes to the point of drawing blood, and hot baths can be the worst) I don’t have it so bad it wakes me up. Sorry I can’t help any more JeffL! Do you find it’s worse in the evenings? I feel it when I’m stripping off for bed (another reason I think it might be a heat differential thing).

Don’t people say exfoliation helps - try a loofah?

Ordered - thanks.

That’s a thought on the cold-hot cycle, @geggis.

@Alistair I’d love to loofah just as an excuse to scratch, LOL!

I get this too occasionally, though I’ve never associated it with a season. My usual strategy is to scratch them until they bleed.

It feels SOOOO good to scratch them. Which, of course, makes it worse and harder to calm down.

I’d rather be in pain that itch. Many years ago I stupidly went fly fishing the flats down in Texas for redfish, without my shirt on. I was incredible sunburned, and itched so bad I asked the doctor if they could just put me out until it healed (btw, the answer to that was no.)

Some other ideas (not medically trained to speculate, but…)

Many people end up being more dehydrated in the winter, because it’s not fun to drink cool beverages, and though you sweat less you still need plenty of water. This can effect circulation and blood pressure, which can manifest in different effects at extremities, like fingers and feet. Swelling can cause nerve impingement, tingling/itching, slow healing, and such. How is your capillary refresh @ fingers and toes?

Also in the winter, I change the socks I wear to heavy Thorlos, sometimes less breathable, maybe wool ones for days at a time, or maybe more ‘touchy’ pants legs like long johns, fleeces, etc.

Don’t scratch them!

It puts the lotion on its skin!

:)

I have the same issue, and yes, it’s what I’d imagine a heroin hit to feel like. It is glorious how good it feels to practically tear your skin off. Except mine is my legs, arms, back, and trunk as well. But the ankles, legs, and hips are the worst.

I’ve found what the issue is, and it’s not just the dry air. 80% of it SHOWERS. It’s the is hot water from showers in dry winter air. If you get your ankles to a non-itchy state, and the don’t take a shower for the next week you’d still not be itchy. I’ve had the luxury of testing this out to verify (thanks to my docs for that one) :)

So the most important thing to do, is after you take your shower, immediately slather your dry areas with whatever stuff you can. I use CeraVe itch relief which replaces the skins elements that get washed off. Once I’m in a critical itch state, it takes 3 days to get back to non itch situation. And don’t work it all in. There should be a touch of white still barely visible.

Jeff, I’ve not used this specific product but I would highly second anything from O’Keeffe’s. I use their Working Hands and sleep gloves occasionally when the eczema on my hands gets so bad in the winter that I can’t stand it. IMHO, if you have any itching dry skin that keeps you up at night, that’s the first company I’d support for a solution.

I’d also recommend anti-itch lotions instead of just plain lotions. Typically they also have a corticosteroid to help the inflammation and let the skin heal.

Thanks to all. I now have a shelf full of products to try. I suspect that by the time I try them all it will have warmed up enough that I’ll need to wait to next winter to complete trying them all!

Thanks for this! It even looks like my grocery store carries it. I’ll be giving it a try!

You are welcome!

The O’Keefes creams are awesome. My wife was amazed at my feet after one application of their foot cream.

@Skipper
I have also used their hand cream it also is amazing.

More important than the product you use is this: apply lotion/creme right after you shower and pat dry. Then it will lock in the moisture.

I must admit I can’t picture how this works. Do you tread the steel like grapes…?

How else do you think we get this?

We wore steel encased work boots which when standing in-between steel strands your feet would get really messed up. You had sweat pouring down your body and the heat would toast them (we used to catch on fire and not know it because it was so hot).

Do you remember that Bugs Bunny cartoon where he is in the military and the sergeant makes him march and march? Bugs gets back to base and peels his boots off like a banana? It was like that but worse. : )

Ordered the O’Keefes cream and socks for the wife. She has serious issues with cracked heels. Thanks for the suggestion.

Update: She loves it. Says it’s the best thing she’s ever used. Thanks again.