It's a great time to be a pc gamer :-)

What is this conclusion based on? AoE 3 looks exactly like the same old RTS so far. It may be a better version of the same old RTS (though the demo made me a skeptic), but it’s not obviously groundbreaking or original unless buildings collapsing in neat, new ways is a high priority.

If I had to pick one RTS from the next six months to get excited about, it would be Rise of Legends - there’s a game that will likely not be the same old RTS.

Troy

I totally disagree. There have been games that been sucessfully ported and improved. From console to computer, the whole GTA series has done well.

Matt (et al.) could you explain WHY the Xbox version of Oblivion is going to be better? I hear the vague reference to focusing on the Xbox over the PC, but I’m not sure why that matters. If the game is still similar in style to other Elder Scroll games, the PC version should still be fantastic.

I totally disagree. There have been games that been sucessfully ported and improved. From console to computer, the whole GTA series has done well.[/quote]

Splinter Cell series
GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas
Prince of Persia Sands of Time and Warrior Within
Chronicles of Riddick
Doom 3

Just some recent(ish) ones that come to mind.

Most of them seem to be rts’s and fps’s? Does “most” to you mean 47.1% ???

The only thing I can recall Pete Hines saying is that if you want to crank the options in Oblivion you’d better have a beefy PC, so I’m not sure where all the doom 'n gloom of the PC version is going to suffer is coming from.[/quote]

It’s not “doom 'n gloom.” There’s nothing wrong with the PC version. I’ve seen the PC version in person, and it’s gorgeous. However, at the time I saw the PC version, I asked for the rep’s honest opinion as to which version to play should one have to choose between the two. He picked the 360 version. The 360 version is going to run in 720p widescreen optimized for the 360, and the interface has been redesigned from the ground up to work well with a controller. I don’t have a widescreen monitor (as I imagine most don’t), certainly not one as big as my TV, and while I do have a 5.1 setup for my PC, it’s not nearly on par with that connected to my TV.

Optimized performance + superior display/presentation = better version, IMO. I suppose if you’ve got some kind of ubermonitor and an amazing sound system for your ultra gaming rig, the PC version is the better choice, but I know which way I’m veering.

On the flip side of that, if you don’t have an uber TV connected to a 5.1 sound system, then the PC version will probably 0wn on a very pretty flat panel monitor with lots of graphic bells and whistles turned on, plus all the obvious add-on stuff down the road and bugfixes/patches that the console game will likely never get.

–Dave

That would be me! I’m set for Oblivion :D

Most of them seem to be rts’s and fps’s? Does “most” to you mean 47.1% ???[/quote]

Arguing with the mentally handicapped just makes you look mean.

Most of them seem to be rts’s and fps’s? Does “most” to you mean 47.1% ???[/quote]

Arguing with the mentally handicapped just makes you look mean.[/quote]

Byte me. Point is, I just don’t give a damn about most of the PC games since they are MOTS. Back to my huge PSX/PS2 backlog, bitches. (Which to me, is new MOTS. :lol: )

A point you feel the need to reassert in every PC gaming thread.

You’re right, for the general user the X360 version does sound like the better option, especially if the game’s interface works well with the controller. I’ve got a Dell 2405 on order that should arrive this next week, so I’m hoping the PC version keeps those widescreen resolutions. I don’t have 5.1 but my Klipsch 4.1 still do a decent job for sound.

The PC version does support the widescreen. For the demo, the Bethesda guys were toting around a good-sized 16:9 LCD flatscreen, and it was quite stunning.

A point you feel the need to reassert in every PC gaming thread.[/quote]

Maybe someone, somewhere, will listen. I doubt it, but gotta try.

And the PC version of Oblivion is shipping with another suite, improved they say, of modding and construction tools. Not sure if there is a way to create and distribute mods and adventures on the Xbox 360 but I know there is on the PC. There are oceans of them. Not all good, of course, but the great ones do enhance the experience significantly. If this kit is easier to use I might even knock around with it.