It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I don’t get it.

I’ve never seen an episode of It’s Always Sunny but I watched the video and it was pretty impressive. No idea what’s going on in the story except I read that it’s a coming out of the closet piece. When he tore off his shirt, it reminded me of my own torso and abs.

I’m guessing they may have been inspired by the season 2 finale of Better Things.

Not as technically impressive a dance performance, but the reaction shots are a lot more emotionally satisfying. (Max in the audience was legitimately surprised… they didn’t tell her what she’d be watching. So great.)

I guess that inmate is his father turning to leave?

Okay, I’d tried to watch this once and it was a mediocre episode from the middle of the run and I didn’t get the love. Tonight I gave it another shot, starting from Episode 1. Then Episode 2, the abortion rally. I was gonna go to bed, but nope, watched episode 3, the underage drinking episode.

OMG. I’m kind of excited to have discovered this so late because there is so much of it!

But they’re on Season 15? NO show makes it more than 6 or 7 years before it become caricature/self-parody, right? Does this somehow stay anywhere near this good? If so, how long?

First 3 episodes were insane. Loved them.

It truly does stay nearly that good throughout. There are ups and downs, but it remains capable of throwing an amazing episode at you for the entire run so far.

Definitely ups and downs, but it still brings the goods more often than the Simpsons does.

I only liked whole episodes of season 1, for the most part. That’s on me because I get hooked on the weird energy of early episodes in long-running series and the more technically refined later episodes don’t feel as sharp. I also didn’t like Devito joining full-time (despite him being a great actor) and wasn’t surprised to learn it was done at Fox’s insistence to help sell the show. Many funny scenes in the rest of the series, for sure, though.

Posting this not to dissuade you but in vain hope of finding one person who feels similarly. :)

Oh man, you dislike adding DeVito? I guess a dissenting opinion is valuable; that’s hard for me to relate to though.

Frank on acid in a Winnebago? Or as a pimp? Troll toll? The couch?

Yeah, adding DeVito was inadvertent brilliance. You’re on your own, @cornchip. :)

I can understand the perspective, and I recall they used him early on to do a lot of repulsive body humor, but I feel like they evened him out later. Overall his character is a big net positive to the show.

I’m honestly envious. I’ve binged this a few times and have been watching is since season 2 as it aired, it’s one of the best shows out there and it rarely stumbles. I’d add that the low episodes (which are few) are still better than a lot of other comedies out there, even. My advice is to pace yourself - watching this much concentrated great is likely to start to immunize it to the antics of the crew so maybe try to avoid blowing throw this too quickly. That’s kind of my standard advice these days though for most shows, really.

Me too. I own all the seasons and just did a 3rd viewing in a binge. I wish I’d just discovered it for the pure joy of seeing them all for the first time.

Holy fucking shit, that first episode of the new season was absolute fire.

Whoa new season? I haven’t been paying attention.

The first two dropped yesterday!

I looked and we did not get any episodes in 2020, so another thing COVID took from us, the bastard.

The first episode is called something like “2020 in review” and it’s so good!