It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I think there was a mention in the catchall TV Fall 2011 thread. But yes, first episode was fantastic, 2nd ep was good.

Yeah, I saw it mentioned there, but I figured there was enough to talk about in its own thread.

That first episode…OMG with Charlie vomiting blood all over that poor woman…my god I was crying…

It’s doing better than I felt it was during the last segment of episodes, whatever season or half that belonged to. Feels like they’re back on their feet, though I wonder how much longer they can get Charlie Day’s wife (The Waitress - I kind of want to see what they’re like with each other when they’re not on camera) whenever they want with her actually cultivating a legitimate career now.

Question - am I supposed to know why Mac is fat as shit? Because I can really only barely remember a lot of the plot from the last batch of new episodes, so I feel like I’m either missing the joke or my mind has wiped itself.

He just popped up that way when the season started, and he thinks he’s “bulking up” and “putting on mass.” IRL, the actor just thought it would be funny and is already losing it again.

There is no in-show reason for him to be fat. The story goes that after they finished filming last season, Rob thought to himself, “wouldn’t it be funny if I gained like 50 pounds?” And the others (including, presumably, his wife, Dee) said, “Shit yeah, man, do it!” And he did.

And it really works for Mac’s character.

His original idea was for ALL of them to put on weight. Their response: “Nah, man, we’re good. But you go right ahead!”

Charlie Day and Glenn Howerton had a really good and insightful guest appearance on Mark Maron’s WTF podcast a few weeks ago. I highly recommend it to fans of Sunny.

Huh, that’s real weight on Mac? I wasn’t sure if it was a fat suit or something. It actually did add hilarity to the character. “Try to move me, bro!” just killed me. Also how he couldn’t pronounce “diabetes” correctly.

Shadynasty’s!! LMAO!

Also - awesome guy from Fringe/Lost made a great guest star!

Surely, you mean from The Wire.

Definately, though he was in Lost and then Fringe for me first, I only watched The Wire (all at once) here earlier this last year, so it’s not what I first thought of.

Sort of how Walter Goggins is from Justified for me, though I watched him in The Shield much later. Perspective! :)

Young Frank (“He doesn’t look a day over twelve!”) caused me to shoot chicken soup out my nose.

The shout out to Romancing the Stone was great.

Also the wheezing when he was eating cracked me up.

“This is America! I can eat however I want.!”

I like the idea of introducing more characters, but this one was really hurt by the lack of the gang. Still some good lines (Then I guess there’s nothing left to do but be a mature ass adult about this shit), but it was definitely missing something for me.

I don’t mind taking a break from the gang. My only problem with it was, yo, seriously, Danny DeVito is terrible at acting. Like, awful. He can be funny, but he never doesn’t feel painfully awkward when he’s stumbling around on screen. It makes me afraid to ever see Batman Returns ever again, because I don’t remember him feeling this square peggy as The Penguin. Given that they’re doing another show (animated) debuting in January, I would guess that for as long as Sunny continues, you’re going to see at least a couple of episodes like this every season.

It was amazing to me to see how much Danny Devito with hair looks like Patrick Troughton.

Whatever, dude.

“I like to make it in my mouth. It tastes better.”

Just saw Thursday’s ep, and it was, well, off somehow. The writing was bad, the acting was bad, the directing was bad… I can’t put my finger on it, but it was just not good at all. Anyone else think there was something strange about it?

This season hasn’t been very good, aside from the first two episode. I think this show has been running out of steam over the last 2 seasons or so.

I thought the last two episodes were really good. Chardee MacDennis was hilarious. This season has been a lot stronger than the last, with the exception of the Frank flashback episode.