"It's crazy joe! Those are his footsteps!"

Take a listen to this little gem.

“Garcia, nobody can hire my feelings!”

Maybe its just me, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why you guys want us to translate and voice act well when we come up with lovely stuff like this. Surely, since 99% of all video and computer game stories aren’t very impressive, it would make the game more entertaining? Then again, maybe I’d be annoyed too, I distinctly remember thinking the Japanese voice-acting in Jak & Daxter would end up killing me before long if I had to listen to another second of it.

Either way, for those that enjoy truly horrible voice acting from the country that specializes in it: REJOYS! It comes for you, the new site of the audio which is in autrocity!

I’ve never heard the English voice acting for Symphony of the Night before…

Oh yeah, before I forget, I can never let a topic like this go without a direct, word for word transcription of the introduction to Wizardy: Empire, a Japanese Wizardry game (the very same Wizardry you’re thinking of) for the PSOne that was never translated, but nevertheless had superimposed English in the intro scene. Keep in mind this is a 100% transcription (try not to laugh–or cry–too hard):

"The era of the ancient times.

There was there the emperor who built large empire, in the continent where continues. The ambition of the emperor crossed the sea and aimed at the conquest of a new continent. However, by a big misfortune, he gives up ambition.

The death that is not escaped with limitless darkness the demon way…The entrance to this world where turned up in during the empire gave death and fear to people.

There is not even the result that I gaze to sacrifice although the emperor did the seal with a firm military force and abandonment. The fate of the empire was entrusted to the hand of absent adventure person even a name.

Let’s give enough treasures and humor that seal the demon way and do and hope to the person.

The metropolis “Cuisinart” of the ancient times the demon way exists in the suburbs of this where an are an empire capital. The missing person who give birth to many fatalities and even if now and continue to increase in this town.

The monster that comes from the demon way is said to carry off every night. A woman, child, old person…as to a weak person, the refuge of a castle is permitted.

When evening comes the carriage of the refugee passes through the gate of the castle. However, it is said to have been becoming full of why the voice leaks from the carriage.

Twilight gets close. All about to be wrapped in darkness."

The sad part, of course is, the original Japanese is quite lovely and makes every bit of sense. I’m still glad I know English well though, as I wouldn’t miss all the gaff’s my country makes on soft drinks and such for the world. (Offensive Orgy Mode can still make me laugh.)

Fly, Giant Robo, fly!

-Fox

Oh my…that site is hilarious. I guess I didn’t realize how low the bottom of the barrel really was. :shock:

I’ve never heard the English voice acting for Symphony of the Night before.

Death & the shopkeeeper rock in that game.

The Engrish in the intro to Princess Crown was pretty funny, too.

I dearly love Grandia Xtreme, but someone NEEDS to submit it to this site to show how even good VA work can be killed by a shitty director, lameball script, and terrible production. Mark Hamill, Lisa Loeb, and several other high-quality voice actors get reduced to gibbering apes by some of the worst audio direction in a game, ever.

There’s an awful lot more from House of the Dead 2 they could have used. Just amazingly bad in every way possible. Thanks Kitsune, I hope that guy keeps updating, that’s funny stuff!

Part of the problem is usually the process of how the voice-overs are recorded.

The actors are usually brought into the studio one by one, with no rehearsal and with no character and story briefing sheet or discussions with the team. This is when professionals are used; many times, the voices are just whoever at the company thinks they have talent and wants a credit and will work for free.

They are generally recorded and voice directed by a non-professional, usually the sound engineer on the game. The script is usually a mess, too. I’ve actually seen scripts that were simply the text dumped from the game and sorted alphabetically, with no context at all.

This ends up with no continuity in dialogue; the actors haven’t heard each other speak and inflect or rehearsed the lines for claity and sanity, and they have no idea of the context for their lines. These isolated pieces are then slipped into the game and called ‘voice acting.’

If you want to hear how it can be done well, find a copy of the old Star Trek: Judgment Rites CD version from Interplay. I used a professional voice director, Michael McConnohie in LA, and also had him cast all the non-Star Trek character roles, something like 30 people doing 90 voices, with a day of rehearsal prior to recording. I also had him voice direct the old Star Trek cast, and the performances he got out of them were pretty damn good. He and Nimoy particularly worked well together.

Yeah, Judgement Rights was a standout in terms of voice acting. I wonder how Rockstar did it for Vice City. Check it out on IMDB, that’s quite a cast of actors they got there.

Judgement Rights kicked ass. Talk about a Star Trek game done right.

Odds are, it involved blackmail. Or maybe they sent out the GTA dude with an AK-47 to kidnap the hollywoodites and hold them hostage until they did the voice work.

Take by take, until it was perfect.

I just started playing Outcast (the adventure one, not the Jedi one), and am pretty amazed at how good the voice acting seems to be (side note, is there any way to run it in a higher resolution? I’ve got all the options maxxed, and it still runs great but the max rez is 512X328 or something weird).

Another cool one is Soul Reaver 2 on the PS2- once you beat the game, it opens up a bunch of documentary stuff about the voice actors, with videos of them bouncing lines off one another and hamming it up in the studio. Pretty cool, if you’re interested in this sort of thing.

OMFG, that site is hysterical, thanks for the link!

I just started playing Outcast (the adventure one, not the Jedi one), and am pretty amazed at how good the voice acting seems to be (side note, is there any way to run it in a higher resolution? I’ve got all the options maxxed, and it still runs great but the max rez is 512X328 or something weird).

There is a hack or something out there that will make it run in higher resolution. I tried it out a couple of years ago when I played the game, and the performance was horrid. Maybe a new machine could handle it though. Great game - you’ll get used to the pixellation.