It's that time of the year again...

My wife received the smaller gold one on Monday. She loves it but hasn’t had much time to fiddle with it. She thinks the part where it turns on when you look at it is voodoo. She’s always saying “check out this watch face” and pointing her wrist at me, whereas the watch promptly shuts off.

Ordered a Nike version before I’d heard they were shipping later. (Though I’d still have waited – I like the Nike app/watchfaces, and the Nike watch does more without costing any more, so why not?)

Sadly, Montana interstates now have a speed limit of 80. Apparently—and I’m too lazy to search to see if this is accurate— it had been no limit except based on existing conditions. Someone got a ticket for going faster than conditions warranted and sued. Then, to ruin it for everyone else, the state instituted speed limits. (80, I believe, which is the same as rural South Dakota and 5 miles faster than us slowpokes in North Dakota.)

The original speed limit in the 70s was completely due to federal pressure. It’s the same reason the drinking age is 21. No department of transportation funds otherwise.

But from '95 to '99 there wasn’t one: https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/remember-reasonable-and-prudent-speed-limits-long-controversial-in-montana/article_06be4f06-f083-571d-a359-dd1698b56b77.html

It’s been raised to 80 since that article.

I deleted my post because I remembered it wrong. What I was told back then was there was only a $5 fee if you got pulled over. I was always scared to find out it if it was true. Montana has never had a lot of patrol cars on the highways in my experience though. I got pulled over in every state except Montana.

It’s quite surprising to see there was no speed limit for that brief time in the 90s, I don’t remeber that at all. In my head I remeber the speed limit signs.

Walked into a local Apple Store and asked if they had any watches in stock. The sales rep said yes, he was surprised to find that they had a black 44mm in stock. Turned out that it was a cellular model, which I hadn’t intended to get, but I was easily upsold when the sales guy said "You can’t add it later, but you don’t need to use it now. "

Compared to my launch day Series 0 it’s insanely fast and the screen seems both brighter and more colourful. I love the super crazy packed with complications watch faces. Very happy with my purchase so far!

Toll roads and speed limits are the most interesting parts of this thread!

Decided to go to the next closet Apple Store to try them on instead of Best Buy. The huge Seattle University Store, which for being so huge has a ton of empty space. There had to be 100 people in one side of the store but the watch area was easy to get to with most people only looking. Only one person working the table though so it took forever. Anyway, they had black, non LTE, 44mm sport models in stock so I got one.

My series 3 has zero backups at all. A 9to5Mac article said to reset it and it will backup. It didn’t. So I set the 4 as a new watch. Slightly annoyed by that, but it’s not a huge deal. More concerned on why my old watch never backed up, which it is supposed to do automatically.

Only impressions so far is, my god the screen is beautiful.

Seriously. Those crazy new watch faces look “visually stunning”.

Hmm, how to tell whether the Watch was backed up or not? I just assumed it is somewhat backed up to iCloud - at least those Health data is automatically synced.

Settings>General>iPhone storage>Watch.

Mine shows a bunch of backups from my Seires 0, but nothing from my second watch, the Series 3 I got last November. To force a backup, supposedly you have to erase it, but that doesn’t seem true from my experience (I have multiple backups from my first watch which I only reset once).

That said, activity data is saved to your watch, you only lose your settings, watch face layouts, and app screen layout. None of which took long to redo.

They really do. The versions on older models do not do them justice. Plus the bigger screen that blends in with the edges on the black watch just makes them look that much more gorgeous. Favorite new face is the water one that shows the indices. Solar is still my favorite “pretty” watch face though.

The bloggers and podcasters all hate the Infograph faces, but I love them. I am not going for some fashion statement and I love being able to fit all those complications and buttons on there. I can have everything right there. I actually ran out of things I wanted on screen and left one as air quality. Which strangely doesn’t update often and it kind of grays out.

Was thinking about the store experience. It was all older white guys (like me, but they all had much more fashion sense and money than I did). Except one older retired lady buying a Hermés watch. Her friend was talking to me as we waited and she didn’t see the point. I told her they were a waste of money which gave her a nice laugh.

Finally got a watch yesterday. The extra screen real estate is amazing, as is having 8 complications on the face. The speed on this thing coming from an S0 is laughably faster. My S0 was pretty much unusable for anything other than a notification filter and a watch, which was really all I wanted it to do.

Does anyone have any must have apps for this thing? I have Dark Sky but the complication isn’t working for me on the new watch face. That is pretty much the only app outside of the native apps that I have found useful. I’ve heard Carrot is a better weather app than Dark Sky, but there is something silly to me about paying 4 bucks a year for a weather app when I live in Los Angeles.

The Carrot complications really are better / more configurable. BUT if you are using the new Infograph Analog face there is enough room / extra slots that you can use two slots for the stock weather & weather condition complications and obviate the need for Carrot or Dark Sky.

Fantastical also has a good complication that is more configurable / shows more useful info than the stock Calendar depending on your needs.

If you want a Podcast launcher in a complication slot, then Overcast might be useful to you.

Diego

I’ve never forgiven Carrot for abandoning their awesomely horrible alarm app. Three years since the last update and a lot of functionality was broken when I gave up on it.

I’ve had the nike preordered for a month and no sign of it shipping from B&H. I’d switch to Apple but that would cost me $25. Is getting it NAO worth $25?

What is NAO?

I guess it depends on how much $25 means to you. I would pay that to get it now, but then again isn’t Apple backordered too?

I love the series 4. Think the screen and new complications/faces are great. Still not perfect, but they are getting there. I would easily pay $25 to get it sooner over my series 3. Instead, I paid with time, my Apple watch was backordered until about now, but instead I drove 30 minutes each way and waited in the store to get it now. Easily worth it for me.

Nao = I want an Oompa Loompa now, daddy :)

12.0.1 is out, and it seemingly fixed all the Bluetooth issues that had been miring my headphone experience since 11.

Does the Apple Leather case age well and does it protect the phone? The bottom part is exposed and it doesn’t seem to protrude enough to protect the back camera lense well.