It's that time of the year again...

Well I’m getting the Xs so poo on you.

Don’t see why, it’s an extra $250 for thinner bezels and a slightly smaller screen, as I see it. But it’s your money!

For me its the dual lens, 3d Touch and OLED. I’m apparently in the minority that uses 3d touch all the time.

EDIT:

Also Dual Sim is huge for me for international travel.

I’m interested in this, can you give me some examples of how you use it?

My wife still has an old Iphone 6 and is due an upgrade but she doesn’t like to learn new gadgets/gestures so I am not sure if I got her this she would ever use these features over just an Xr

See, this is exactly what I’m talking about: After the keynote, the parts that are leaked come across as “none of that was actually interesting or cool”, while the stuff that wasn’t leaked comes across as “cool innovations”.

Any possible increase in interest from leaks would be better generated by the event itself. But after the leaks, it becomes, “Oh, they didn’t announce anything that we didn’t already know.” And Apple already has plenty of interest going into their events, moreso if you don’t know what’s going to be announced. If people already know what’s going to be announced, it seems like the viewership numbers would go down, not up.

But hey, what do I know? It’s not like I’ve ever worked for any companies where any CEOs talked about this.

Well my most frequent use is the ability to use the keyboard as a touchpad to move the cursor around when writing stuff. I use that ALL the time for emails/forum posts. Beyond that its simple quality of life stuff like getting imessage videos to go big instead of playing in line, quick tapping podcasts without going into the podcast app. Stuff like that. Then there is the gimmicky stuff like imessage effects that I use when I want to be annoying. I suppose a lot of that stuff could be done with a hold press, but then you lose responsiveness.

What are you comparing it to?

Hard press on Messages to pop up frequently-used contacts. Hard press on Safari to open a new tab. Hard press on Mail to compose a new message. Yeah, I use 3D touch all the time too.

Sure, I am just saying the idea of Apple not leaking on purpose is foolish. It’s been suggested on some Apple podcasts that they use Mark Gurman of Bloomberg when they want info out there.

There hasn’t been a surprise announcement in years though. Half the time, the stuff is right their in their beta software that people always find. That and they are just too big to keep much under wraps at that point.

If Apple wants to share information, they can just share it. I don’t see anything that Apple gains something by leaking information early, or that fake “leaks” are somehow a better way to get information out there.

It would be like a movie studio leaking the ending to a movie to increase attendance on opening weekend. Any leaks will just reduce interest and attendance.

Bullshit, it’s a standard S revision and they added a larger size. Would never have been cool.

Do you realize how much attention these leaks get? They generate tons of attention and hype. That’s why every news/tech site publishs them. Even the people who hate Apple read them and comment on them.

The actual announcements generate even more attention and hype, and get published by even more news and tech sites. Official news will always have a broader reach than leaked news, and it can be framed in the proper context, instead of sharing incomplete information which can be misinterpreted.

The leaks get attention because people are interested in Apple, not the other way around.

Apple’s “leaks” are usually to very trusted reporters. The WSJ used to be their go-to, but now I think it would be John Packowski. That said, it’s usually to get ahead of unpopular messaging like removing the headphone jack.

There is zero chance any of these Watch or iPhone leaks were intentional.

Gurman is the reason they had a extra security awareness meeting and threatened criminal action against leakers.

At any rate, this keynote blew chunks afaic. No interest in a new phone. What I want is a Mac mini refresh/replacement

Yeah, not a great keynote, but still some neat stuff. I was hoping for the new iPad Pro, but I guess that will be next month.

I am on the yearly plan on phones, so I am getting one, but not sure which one yet. Playing with the idea of a Max just to see how I like it. Since I don’t carry my phone while exercising, thanks to the watch, it’s more viable for me now.

Without a doubt getting a watch. I don’t like to look at my phone at work, so I use my watch a lot. A bigger screen with all those neat, gaudy, complications, will be great.

The iPhone events are usually snoozers for me. The event I am looking forward to is the Mac/ipad event.

As someone who walked away from Apple this year I feel vindicated in my decision :)

I know what you mean, I feel the same way about Android every year.