It's that time of the year again...

The FDA just said Apple could put the EKG in it, but they didn’t approve it. Apple has to warn consumers that the readings can be very unreliable.

Where is that like button? I think Apple Maps gets a bad rap because it has been very reliable for me. BUT it’s traffic detection/warning system is far behind Waze. Can’t wait to have it on my car screen.

Really looking forward to Siri Shortcuts as well. Monday’s release can’t come soon enough.

Did anyone really think this is a doctor visit replacement? It’s 1 node! Obviously its not going to be as accurate as a medical machine. The thing it DOES have going for it is that it is constantly on you and therefore can deliver a wider test window. I remember when I was younger I had to wear a little thing that monitored my heart and actively press a button whenever I felt it do something weird (in reaction to medication I was taking). This potentially bypasses all that crap. So yea it might not catch ALL AFib cases, but it has the ability to catch MORE AFib cases than are currently caught. Not many people are out there getting random ECGs/EKGs (Whats the difference?) but they will take this little test.

False positives would be a big deal here. I don’t want my watch telling me I have a heart problem unless I actually do have a heart problem. False alarms would be stressful as hell and very expensive.

I don’t want an EKG on my wrist unless it’s reliable.

As of Friday Waze Beta program notification, Waze Car Play will be out for beta tester in a few days. I am one of the beta testers and I am super excited about this! I can finally delete Apple Map from the phone.

A beta?! I thought they would be ready on day one! They have had all summer haven’t they?

I wonder what it would do for the original iPad Air?

There is no difference. They were originally called ECG, short for electrocardiogram, but when the EEG (electroencephalogram) came into medicine it was hard to easily differentiate between a doctor verbally asking for an ECG vs. an EEG, especially in a stressful emergency setting. So they started calling it an EKG since the hard C in “cardio” soundes like a K anyways.

I think it’s probably more complicated than we thought. In the Beta email, there seem to be a lot of different CarPlay unit and thus giving different type of compatibility issues:

• Waze supports every car model or device in any area which is supported by Apple CarPlay. It is possible that in some areas there will be no keyboard display on CarPlay. In that case, it will be possible to type using your iPhone when needed.
  • When reporting any CarPlay related issue, please make sure to include car/aftermarket model
  • When connected to CarPlay, Waze projects a more limited version of the app, which currently focuses primarily on navigation:
  • It is possible that a certain functionality or report types will not be available.
  • The iPhone shows directions list and side menu with multiple functionalities like search, calendar, favorites and more…

It doesn’t matter what year it is if you don’t have reception.

Similarly, I keep quite a lot of photos on my phone, rather than relying on cloud backups, because nine times out of ten when I actually want to access them on my phone, it’s really inconvenient to wait for the thumbnails to load while I search for the relevant ones to show.

Well iOS 12 and watchOS 5 are here, time to point out again that the single worst aspect of the Apple Watch is still the limitation of the Bluetooth connection to the phone.

I don’t know if there’s a realistic alternative Apple could develop for a low powered way to keep them in communication, but moving any amount of data between the two feels like it would be faster if I could somehow do it over a dialup modem. Upgrading to watchOS 5 will probably take over an hour.

Gross, I thought that slowness was due to my being on Series 0. I thought they would have figured it out by now.

It took 87 minutes to download the ~700 MB update to the watch, we’re now at 30 minutes of “Preparing…”

It’s probably the angriest I ever get using current Apple hardware of any kind.

Edit: “Preparing…” took 33 minutes, now on to “Verifying…”

5 minutes of “Verifying…”, we’re actually “Installing…” now!

Usually before the main release, I go hit the beta and update to the GM. Makes release days a LOT easier.

And we’re done. Actual installation took 15 minutes, 2hr 20min total. If I were Apple I would be embarrassed.

Think you downloaded it when the servers were getting hit. The download took 15-20 minutes on my series 3. The rest I am sure will take an hour. Guess I am just used to slow updates, doesn’t really bother me. I do most watch updates when I go to bed, but I am interested to see what changed, so I am doing this one now.

Anyway, Apple does have a way to take care of this problem. Buy an already updated series 4. :-)

Edit: 1 hour 10 minutes start to finish for my watch. Outside of the initial download being faster this evening, no idea why mine was so much faster.

I thought Series 0 wasn’t going to get the warchOS 5 update?

I actually forgot I have a series 2, not a series 3. So it’s possible that made a difference. I can’t swear the wifi wasn’t a factor, but the iOS 12 update was like 2 GB and only took five minutes on the same network at work.

Still, I’d have been complaining just as loudly even if mine took ~1 hr too. 😁

Yea it’s not. I meant the slow updating in general being a series 0 thing. I thought there was no way that 4 iterations later it’s still offensively slow.

The camera isn’t as good as the Pixel 2 (and the Pixel 3 is very soon).