It's time for a bourbon thread

Yeah, that was one of the little surprises when I moved out here from an ABC state. You can buy liquor anywhere here, including Toys R Us. Okay, not Toys R Us. But any grocery store. Most drug stores. Costco. Back east buying a bottle of scotch felt like going through airport security.

It was also weird adjusting to the fact that “liquor store” here basically means a convenience store. I remember working in a high school in the summer and the kids saying they were just going to run down to the liquor store on the corner to get some drinks. “Like hell you are!”

I was in Colorado last year for my sister-in-law’s graduation from law school. Pretty big gathering of family from around the country. It was amusing when Sunday rolled around and they ran out of white wine in the house that was serving as party central. Ah, Blue Laws.

Watching otherwise reasonable adults in their sixties desperately squeezing the last sad drops of Chablis from the vaccuum bag inside the box…priceless.

-amanpour

The wife brought home a bottle of bourbon for me, from her job. They’re moving and seem to have a lot of booze lying around. She liked the shape of the bottle and so brought home

Looking forward to a taste.

Willett’s is great. Well recommended.

I remember when I first moved to SF you could buy Laph 10 in TJ’s for $20. Those were the days…

— Alan

My groomspeople got me a bottle of that when I got married. Awesome stuff.

Just had a few tastes.

Straight up was warm to hot on the tongue. But it was so very mellow on the back of the throat. Vanilla, crushed black pepper and a bit of burnt sugar. Very damn nice.

With a few ice cubes it opened up big time. Green and sour. Then the aftertaste. Blooming ten ways from Sunday.

A great bourbon. A great sip. Way recommended.

How about a little of the ol’ Kirk variety?

http://jamestkirkbourbon.com/

Try this. Yum.

Jesus. That’s a lot to digest. I love Bulleit, especially the rye. But along with lots of corporate issues here there are big (and assumed rich,) old and intolerant family issues.

I think Diageo could do more to turn it around but I’m sure they have the albatross of Tom and will continue to be in that place unless they address that. This isn’t just an LBGTQ+ issue, it’s one about who controls the family namesake related to that bourbon.