It's time to have a 2020 Presidential Election thread

If I could simply pick the next President, I’d be hard-pressed to decide between Mayor Pete and Warren. I’d be ecstatic to see either in office.

The differences in their policy positions are meaningless unless we hold the House and take the Senate, which I think is unlikely.

Even if the democrats take the Senate, the median senator will be to the right of both of them. I honestly don’t know what approach would work best to get the median senator to approve the strongest reform. Though I suspect that the “start negotiating at 110 percent” approach might backfire.

Latest 538 podcast with Nate Cohn is really good:

My takeaway is that there is a real decent chance of Trump winning the EC with even a 5 or 6 point loss in the popular vote, because of the way increased turnout helps Trump in swing states and Democratics in states they are winning anyway.

Well Hillary, when you’ve lost @triggercut you really should not follow through.

I am hoping this is nothing more than an elaborate troll, to suck oxygen from the Fox types so they have less to devote to actual candidates. And not serious consideration.

Put it on a t-shirt.

I kinda thought that only McKinsey people thought that a couple of years at McKinsey qualified you to be POTUS.

This is one case where Clinton definitely should say “never.”

Why does she keep not saying no? Just to sell books?

To trigger the libs. Like me.

But he learned about big data and stuff.

The idea that Hillary would lose to Trump again, after what we’ve seen from Trump over 3 years in office, is almost as breathtakingly preposterous as the idea that Hillary would have lost to Trump the first time around. Which didn’t happen, right? Riiiight?

Anyway, yeah… you were the first woman to get a major party nomination, you had a distinguished career as Senator and Secretary of State… let’s just move along please.

I resemble this remark. Other than the AA vote, his only real weakness is probably the hard-core anti-gay crowd, but they’re all on the Trump train anyhow.

…it would absolutely be none of the candidates out there now! The best person for the job is almost certainly someone who can’t stomach the campaign process.

Then make it, If I could simply pick the next President from the Democratic candidates then… Hmm. Someone should make a poll.

Serious question…I was assuming that the AA dislike was because they’re hardcore anti-gay. Is that not true? What are the reasons that they don’t care for him?

Of the D field, I find him the most palatable, but I don’t understand the demographic’s lack of enthusiasm. It it due to youth or a lack of history in helping them? I have heard that he has some issues with LEO/AA interactions in his city, but haven’t done my research, as I’ve been moving between countries.

Thanks for any information!

It would be naive of me to suggest that there isn’t some anti-gay sentiment – or perhaps, at least some reticence about a gay man – in the very religious black church groups in the south. Because there is some of that there, absolutely.

But a lot of it also stems back to Pete at best messily handling the firing of the African-American police chief of South Bend a few years ago. That created some early bad publicity with the black community regarding Pete when Buttigieg was first becoming a known public figure on the political scene this winter.

Again, it isn’t everywhere by any means, and no one here is suggesting a monolithic view. But in southern states like South Carolina, Alabama, and Mississippi, voting and ballot issues especially in Democratic primaries is strongly driven by churches like the AME and Black Southern Baptists. These religious entities continue to evolve…but with voting choices that include a callback to Obama in Biden, a candidate doing legit outreach to the community in Sanders, and African Americans like Harris and Booker, Mayor Pete is pretty low in the pecking order. Some of it is religious in nature, and what is preached from the pulpit. I think a lot of it – as with any community – is generational too. Many of these states have managed to strip younger African Americans of their voting rights, and so blacks who do will be out to vote in primaries tend to skew older.

In fact, this peer-reviewed paper reaches exactly that conclusion with some evidence: that class and age tend to be the biggest factors…but again, with voting rights being pulled away seemingly monthly from African American voters, as a demographic those who are able to vote tend to skew older than the general voting population within their states.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00918369.2017.1364566?journalCode=wjhm20

Class and age is not unique to African Americans, and Bernie might have learned what he didn’t learn last time, you have actually reach out to African American communities and not just say, oh well you guys too like he did before. Mayor Pete isn’t well known, but as the articles show, the majority of African Americans, more than half almost 70 percent, support laws that protect LGBTQTA+ folks so to say, oh well there are gay issues there in the African American group suggests it’s a bigger issue than it really is because that issue is also found in the general population.

IMO what is really going is that older voters and church going voters have more issues with gay marriage than other groups. The church is a big part of the community in many southern states. (Probably a higher percentage of African American southern go to church, than white but I really don’t know.) I suspect when you control for religiosity and age there probably isn’t a big difference between the race on homosexuality .

Mayor Pete does have a plan to appeal to African American voters. TheDouglass Plan. It is pretty long and I haven’t read so I’ve only heard 30 second bites about it.

I mean the candidates for why Mayor Pete is polling poorly with black voters are as follows, not ranked.

His sexuality, its a thing. Now these voters may not be less accepting of gay people than the general public. But than the Democratic base? This would seem to be the case.

His police chief and city policing record. Having police issues be a top issue is certainly an understandable thing. How fairly Pete gets knocked, and how bad it was? I haven’t looked enough to say.

Biden lock in. Biden has strong support among these communities, largely from his association with the Obama administration. I get it, even if I disagree.

Experience. He is younger, and perhaps this has a role. see also Trigs mentioning of black voters skewing notably older, which I did not know. But makes sense.

Electability. I hate this as an argument or reason, but one of their top priorities being dumping Trump I can agree with. However the nebulous ‘electability’ perception is grating. Is it concern over the general? A better sounding phrasing of an above concern, disliking his sexuality or age, but not wanting to outright say so? I think this mind games of who is most electable is infuriating. And it is not limited to one group. At least with the other possibilities I can understand, even if I disagree. This one? No.