It's time to have a 2020 Presidential Election thread

Silly. We all know that’s Beto.

Buttigieg seems like a decent guy, but let’s be real, a young gay mayor with that name isn’t going to make it unless the nation changed more than we realize in the last couple of years.

Even his fans don’t use his name, that’s probably not a good sign.

Here is the thing about Beto, if you turn off the cynical side of your brain while listening to him, you actually believe he can provide jobs and healthcare for all, while uniting the country, and later the world with a LiveAid Concert.

I was only half kidding.

Buttigieg is a much more appealing candidate than most of the other super old losers, but i dunno if you are gonna get a gay guy with butt in his name elected.

Heh. You said “butt”.

A guy named Barack Hussein Obama got elected twice. I’ve stopped assuming that someone’s name can stop them from getting elected.

This is like a month old and apologies if I missed it anywhere, but after watching this I think my front runner is Kate McKinnon portraying Elizabeth Warren:

You know, I think about this a lot. But throw in the gay aspect and it feels like a no go. Still too many religious fanatics on both sides. Yeah I said it, both sides.

It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. I’m sure there are many great candidates in US political history who were never elected for no other reason than people deciding he was unelectable.

At this rate, you guys will never get a President Butt.

No. It is not. It’s being pragmatic. It’s understanding the great swathes of people that vote that way. It’s being reasonable about expectations.

Obama was often argued to be unelectable early on, because you guys had never elected an African American before, the reality was there were many many racists around who would never even consider to vote for one, etc., meanwhile Clinton was put up in 2016 with ‘electability’ and pragmatism being one of the major reasons. I am not trying to say you agreed with either of these positions, just that these arguments about electability often turn out to be very flawed.

Do you really think homophobia and butt-jokes in the U.S. are stronger than the combined forces of sexism and racism (which would be applied to Kamala Harris, which to my knowledge has not really been the victim of electability concerns)?

It’s your vote, consider voting for who you like the most!

I think all of our internal “he/she could never win” barometers are untrustworthy.

No one ever lost money betting against Americans laughing at butt jokes.

Dayum

Crazy $$$

An awful lot of online critics and pundits walked right into those propeller blades on Friday when O’Rourke said he may “Choose not to” release his first 24 hour fundraising numbers. Over the weekend he drew some of the biggest crowds any candidate has in Iowa and Wisconsin, too.

Reminder #2,679: Twitter is not the real world in politics.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1106649186009636864

Narrator in Ron Howard’s voice: “They actually did indeed have that gear.”

And a corollary to Beto’s fundraising numbers sucker punch: lots of media pundits who were chirping about this Friday got a little chastening but…

…they also kinda hate that.

So while they may be a bit more circumspect and cautious with O’Rourke in the future, they’re also going to report his missteps with much glee.

They sure are. Was watching Morning Joe today and Joe and Meekers were just so happy to smugly cast judgement on Beto already. Had to turn the channel.

Who exactly is the dude in charge of Beto’s campaign? Do we know?

No one at the moment, he hasn’t hired a campaign manager (edit: yet.)