IWDII is neat

Icewind Dale II seems to have dropped off the map on these forums, so I thought I’d bring it up again.

I’m in Chapter 1 so far and I’m really enjoying it. I know in an earlier thread I said some deprecatory things about orcs and goblins, and maybe some of you guys failed your saving rolls, feelings got hurt and egos got bruised, etc. So just wanted to say that IWD2 really does a fantastic job with orcs and goblins. That little dancing goblin shaman rocks!

I have a few issues with the game, and I hear there are some problems with game balance as you go on (wizards being severely underpowered compared to sorcerors due to lack of scrolls, half of the heavy armor being “left out” of the game due to some Excel hijinx, etc.) but right now, I’m absorbed.

Anyone beaten it? Is the rest of the game as fulfilling? Impressions? Desslock, I’m looking at you.

Heh, I have to restart it now, I was in the middle of chapter 1.

I discovered why my wizard isn’t leveling with everyone else. Stupid girl is a tiefling, who took a level of fighter at 2nd level for the extra hit points but all her other levels in wizard. I had originally intended her to be an elf, but changed my mind to make her a tiefling because of the extra racial bonuses. But, silly me, tiefling has class preference for rogue, not for anything like normal humans or for wizard like elves, so she has been laboring under an experience penalty which will only get worse with time…

Oh well, it is still a good game, though a bit slow and repetitious during those periods in which the party’s tactics remain basically the same for a few levels until new spells and items become available.

I dunno, I finally got around to installing this game. I don’t much like the changes to the interface vs. BG2, and in particular find the sprites too small.

I’m only at the very beginning, so I can’t evaluate much more than that yet.

I live in bloody Europe and I’ve yet to see this game released yet. Oh well, now I can play UT2003 instead and ignore IWD2 until christmas.

I gave up at the start of the final Chapter 6 because I got sick and tired of running fed-ex quests through narrow mazes. The game starts out very promising but at the middle of Chapter 5, the gameplay just falls apart. Extremely repetitive tasks with some ultra-difficult combat thrown in. I guess few people are talking about IWD2 anymore since most stopped playing out of frustration at some point or another.

Well, my Collector’s Edition is just up on eBay. I’m mailing throughout Europe though it will cost you € 7,70. And the box is a bit crumpled at the top, unfortunately.

Chris: Nah, between work, sleep, eating, nolf2, battlefield 1942, IWD2, and the many GBA and console games out there, it is extremely difficult to play just one ;)

Why buy a collectors edition if you don’t intend to collect it? I would be interested for the soundtrack alone, but my games budget has been stretched pretty thin.

Anyway, I think I’ll settle for UT this month. I hadn’t played a shooter in almost a year and I had almost forgotten what an adrenaline rush it could be.

IWD2 seems like a solid IE game, though I am feeling a bit of “been there, done that” with it. I got sidetracked by Divine Divinity but I’ll come back to IWD2 after I’ve finished DD.

>IWD2 seems like a solid IE game

Enjoy it then, since it’s almost certainly the last IE game, since it has sold very poorly after its first week of release. It’ll be lucky to sell 50,000 units domestically.

A lot of people who would characterize themselves as “hardcore” RPG fans seem to prefer Black Isle’s IE games (Planescape Torment, IWD 1+2) over BioWare’s (BG 1+2 and expansions - TOB is almost a separate game), but BioWare’s games have sold much, much better. The lowest selling BioWare game sold several hundred thousand units, while Black Isle’s best selling (IWD) maxed out at around 140,000.

Stefan

That’s unfortunate, and rather surprising given the fairly successful run of its predecessor. I would have been surprised if they had done another IE game anyway, though; there was a growing perception that the engine was outdated – though I’m not sure if that’s simply a different way of saying “all 2D games are now outdated.” (Personally I never liked the engine much – I prefer a more tile-based 2D gameworld like Divine Divinity, maybe because it reminds me more of the Ultimas and feels more “solid.” Having said that, there really wasn’t a bad game in the whole crop of IE releases; they are 5 for 5.)

A lot of people who would characterize themselves as “hardcore” RPG fans seem to prefer Black Isle’s IE games (Planescape Torment, IWD 1+2) over BioWare’s

Not me. I think BG2+ToB is far and away the best IE game. IWD1 is good, but it’s not in the same league. I respect PS:Torment and it has a great story, but for me it just wasn’t as fun to play. BG2 is the porterhouse steak of RPG’s… one of the biggest, meatiest entries in the genre since I-don’t-know-when. In theory I prefer the more open-ended, less-combat-heavy Morrowind style of RPG, but BG2 was executed so well that it trumps everything I have played since maybe Magic Candle in 1989.

I agree that it’s unfortunate that IWD2 isn’t selling better. It has a sense of style and polish that many modern cRPGs lack. Of course, it’s no BG2. It doesn’t aspire to be BG2, but I can’t help but wonder if IWD2 wouldn’t have sold better if it did. The grand scope of BG2 and its focus on character interaction really gave it a sense of personality that IWD2 just seems to lack. Even so, IWD2 is exactly the cRPG that I was hoping NWN was going to be (but wasn’t).

• Alan

Whew! And here I thought I was the only one with those same sentiments on the Qt3 boards. I assumed I was just one of the great unwashed who could not appreciate the brilliance that was Torment. I appreciate the departure from the cookie-cutter fantasy theme and wanted to dig it, but I did not.

Enjoy it then, since it’s almost certainly the last IE game, since it has sold very poorly after its first week of release. It’ll be lucky to sell 50,000 units domestically.

Don’t forget though that it’s not out in the Eurozone yet. We’re shaping up to be voracious consumers of CRPGs. Especially the Germans.

That said, it should have been Fallout 3 just being released, and with as huge a fanfare as BIS could muster (arguably fuck all under the circumstances). I hope they still get to make it. Maybe we could ship them over to Germany?

I didn’t forget – that’s why I said domestic sales, heh. I think all Black Isle’s titles have sold slightly more in Europe than they did in the U.S. The Germans do seem to love CRPGs, and they probably buy even more than their stats would indicate, since buying U.S.-imports isn’t rare there either, I gather.

"A lot of people who would characterize themselves as “hardcore” RPG fans seem to prefer Black Isle’s IE games "

They’re the ones that keep wishing for Fallout 3.

That’s very depressing. I’m in the middle of replaying BG2 now, and it just isn’t that good a game. Chapter 2 is great, and I suspect that won it a lot of sales, but the rest seems so-so to me.