Ixion - Frostpunk in Space

The E3 trailer from last year is here:

The new gameplay trailer is here.

Looks pretty cool, ship/station building with resource management and exploration. Wonder if there is also some sort of combat.

Demo available soon:

This is looking like a game I will need to play on day 1.

I played the demo, but unfortunately it cuts off just as the gameplay seemed it was about to open up. It certainly wasn’t doing anything particularly interesting up to that point, but there’s a whole tech tree to unlock so it could definitely go places. I’m going to wait on reviews before buying, but I’m cautiously optimistic.

Demo is alright, like @Ginger_Yellow said , they locked all the good stuff up for the demo, but you do get a basic feel for what will be offered.

Look super cool.

Moar training videos.

December 7th, 2022

Comes out tomorrow!

Here’s an hour from the start of the game, as played by PartyElite:

RPS review was very positive.

Yep , I plan to pick this up today.

And GMG has it for 28% off, whoa.

IXION

I’m seeing only 10%?

Me too, I’m seeing the same price as on Steam.

You need to be logged in to see the “true” discounted price in GMG. If you don’t have an account, it’s worth it. It’s one of the official key resellers with best prices.

Been playing a couple of hours and have gotten into the second chapter. I do like it quite a lot, but some of the UI elements need tweaking. There was a fairly urgent event I needed to address but those elements only get a diamond shaped magnifying glass icon that I interpret as “hey this could be interesting” as opposed to “hey, you need to take care of this.” And they are neutral colored so it’s easy to miss them.

I also can’t figure out how to launch a probe. I’ve got one, and I get into the probe scan interface, and it feels like it’s telling me to click on an asteroid (which are like, grain of sand sized) and send the probe to a promising one. But I can’t get anything in that screen to respond to my clicks. The help text doesn’t shed any light on it.

I’m willing to believe it’s something simple and I’m just blind but regardless, it’s frustrating!

Ok, 2 minutes later, I realized you have to actually click the LAUNCH PROBE button on the scanner (which, to be fair, is a long rectangular button that is colored blue and looks like no other button!).

This confused me for a bit too – they say you’re in “Scan Mode” but you’re not until you click that damn button.

Anyway, I’ve been enjoying this! A lot of the city builders I’ve played lately allow the city to move around (see also Airborne Kingdom and The Wandering Village) and it adds a welcome exploration element to these games.

I really like this city builder’s approach to worker placement, which is that you don’t place workers at all.

Every building gets worked even if you don’t have a high enough population to support it. Unlike something like Frostpunk, where your city will let itself starve because your assigned cooks are in the hospital, workers in Ixion will moonlight at other jobs to pick up any slack. The catch is that this stresses them and drastically increases the chance there will be an accident, but during a crisis you can accept the increased risk to get the resources you need. It leads to more interesting decisions with way less micromanagement.

The developers probably need to communicate the system better, though, since their Steam reviews are getting savaged by players who don’t know why their workers keep getting crushed in industrial accidents.

Does anyone have any thoughts on replayability yet? Seems like the game is heavily story driven so that might make it one and done with no sandbox option. Nothing wrong with that, but I’m curious if people would say that’s the case.