Jack's Back

No, my natural response is “put it on every console.” But it’s not like they have to choose just one, and the lack of good party games on the 360 makes it a great target platform. I’m not sure why it would have to be limited to just playing online with the 360–that’s just an arbitrary limitation for that platform that you made up. A bunch of people hanging out hitting a button on wireless 360 gamepads, or a bunch of people hanging out hitting a button on Wiimotes… what’s the difference?

I don’t think anyone is saying that it should only come out on the Wii. In fact, my first response in this thread was pointing out that it should also come out on the Wii, rather than just the 360. If the publisher had to pick one platform, of course, I would suggest it be the Wii. They’re just likely to sell a lot more copies due to the party nature of the console. As I’ve said, I’d buy it on whatever console it may come out on. However, if it becomes available for all three, I’m buying it for the Wii. My non-gaming friends, which is most of the people I know, family included, won’t touch an Xbox or a Playstation - but they - all of them who have seen and/or played it - will touch a Wiimote, and they enjoy it a great deal. Yeah, I’ve only mentioned Wii Sports, but Rayman sits right alongside it, as does Madden for any football fans you may have as friends.

Here’s the thing, for the casual and non-gaming audience. They would rather press the one big “A” button on the Wiimote to “buzz” in their response, then simply point to the screen at the answer they want and push the same button again. They don’t want to press the X button then either use the directional pad or thumbstick to select an answer and push the button again, and the especially don’t want to press X to buzz in, and then choose their answer by pressing any of the other buttons on the gamepad.

Casual and non-gamers do not like gamepads. They don’t like keyboards and mice outside of the office, and they don’t much care for them there, either. The Wiimote, on the other hand, is something they can easily pick up and use and it requires little to no training. This is, by and large, what makes the Wii the most party-friendly console, and it’s why party-friendly games would do well do release on the platform.

I think exclusives hurt everyone but the hardware manufacturers. As a gamer, I would rather have cross-platform releases that allow me to choose which console I’d most like to play it on. Had Bully had an Xbox release along with the PS2 release, for example, I’d have bought it on the Xbox instead of the PS2. If YDKJ is released on all the consoles, I’ll buy it on the Wii.

Also, to anyone who doubts that party games will do better on the Wii, I’d be willing to put money down on the Wii version of Rayman Raving Rabbids having vastly outsold both the PS2 and PC versions that are out now. If I didn’t have a Wii and wanted YDKJ, of course I’d buy it on the console that I own - but if the release is exclusive to any one console, and that console is not the Wii, then they will be losing out on a lot of sales they would have had if they’d released on the tiny white box with the kooky controllers. That’s just my take on it, though, and what do I know?

…if someone doesn’t follow my last sentence with a post of “You don’t know Jack!” then I lose all faith in humanity, by the way.

Why isn’t this a thread about 24?

Nobody’s saying they can’t or shouldn’t, the discussion is just about which console is likely to be the most popular platform for YDKJ.

I’m not sure why it would have to be limited to just playing online with the 360–that’s just an arbitrary limitation for that platform that you made up. A bunch of people hanging out hitting a button on wireless 360 gamepads, or a bunch of people hanging out hitting a button on Wiimotes… what’s the difference?

Alex covered that, but even setting that aside, you’re missing my point. I agree with you that the X360 and PS3 (and every prior console, frankly) are capable of running YDKJ. But a fun game of YDKJ requires two things: a console technically capable of running it, and a group of friends all in the same room playing the console. Since the Wii is already designed and marketed around that idea, but the other consoles are designed and marketed around a different idea, the Wii is the most natural fit for YDKJ.

Think of it this way: if you have a party at your house and you have a Wii, there are probably people already playing it. It’s easy to say “Hey I have this trivia game too, let’s try that.” Everyone is already there and playing and understands how the Wiimote works. OTOH if you’re having a party and you own an X360, it’s a lot less likely that a group of casual gamers are standing around playing it. So it’s a bigger leap to get them to start playing videogames on the console, and understand the controller, etc.

Nobody’s arguing that the platform “can’t run YDKJ” or anything of the sort. It’s just that of the three consoles, one is clearly geared as a causal party console and the other two are clearly not. I don’t see how you can dispute that, or dispute that it’s relevant to the console’s “fit” with a casual party game like YDKJ.

totally agree Rywill.

And the comment on Guitar Hero being just the same. I disagree. In a group of people playing Wii Sports on Christmas Day and then flipping over to Karaoke Revolution, I definetly saw some people shy away from Singing… That being said I would think some people would be intimidated with a guitar and playing Guitar Hero.

I have yet to see ANYONE take a second look at the Wiimote and pause… Even completely uncordinated people have a prayer in playing tenis. The idea that their motions here and being transposed in to a cute little characture on the screen amuses the heck out of everyone.

That being said, YDKJ would be histerical if played with people’s Mii’s standing behind podiums!!

In my experience, though, none of that is true. My casual, non-gaming friends are absolutely interested in messing around with the Xbox 360 when we have parties. Ask Karen about our last movie night, where everyone ended up playing Burnout Revenge all evening instead of watching movies. I don’t even have any party games for the thing, and yet people still want to play it. They probably don’t even realize that they are supposed to want to play party games instead of split screen Burnout and Gears of War, probably because they aren’t gamers. They just don’t see the distinction–playing any game is a special event for them. And yeah, I think we’d probably have more fun if I got some games designed for group play, but it’s not like they turn up their noses in the absence of such games, or (probabvly) even realize what they are missing. And I have never in my life met anyone with a gamepad phobia.

I agree that Nintendo has marketed the Wii as a party game system, and that it’s a good console for parties on the basis of the strong lineup of party-friendly games available for it. I’ll even agree that the Wiimote tends to intrigue non gamers. But I don’t think they are intrigued by the simplicity so much as by the novelty, and all this crap about gamepads scaring people away from playing games is just Nintendo marketing nonesense that people have been parroting ever since Iwata first said it when introducing the Wiimote at last year’s TGS.

Is YDKJ a good fit for the Wii? Sure. But I think it’s a fine fit for the Xbox 360, too. Especially since there is currently a lack of good party games on the 360.

I think people are conusing the words “party” and “family” when referring to the appeal of the Wii as a group gaming system.

Although I guess if you live alone, then your family only gets together for parties?

We’re talking about playing the Wii at parties because YDKJ is undeniably a party game. It would be less good as an everyday family game because it’s a trivia game and only has a limited supply of questions.

True, but I think it’s notable that most Wii games and the system itself are geared more toward families and not so much toward parties specifically. Calling it a “party system” is sort of incorrect IMO.

This is really noticeable if you have kids and each of them has their own Mii, etc. One of the best features of the Wii is the game tracking. It lists how much you played it every day and breaks it down by game, menu, shopping, etc. I like this because it’s going to be even easier to monitor my kids’ gaming time and maintain their limits.

It’s funny, but I think the Wii is closer to the Family Computer (Famicom… the name of the Nintendo Entertainment System in Japan) than the NES ever was. They really could have marketed it as a Famicom in Japan and been totally right on.

You have a point, Dave, but I still say it’s more of a party system. Just because it’s kid-friendly and crosses all sorts of age demographics doesn’t mean it’s exclusively in the realm of family. I’ve gone to a couple of “Wii Parties” where the 360 and PS3 sit there, untouched. We play Madden and Rayman and Wii Sports and have a blast, and I’m not related to anyone. It’s the same when I took it to work, where there’s a huge age range of co-workers, and everyone loved it.

I totally agree that it’s a very, very family oriented console, as well. It’s just I don’t see that as negating its party friendly effects.

Oh, and Ben? There had been several articles and discussions about the increasing complexity of gamepads and suchlike well before Iwata said anything. I’m sorry that we’re not just a bunch of mindless zombies, doing what Master Nintendo tells us. I wish you would stop suggesting we are.

I thought this thread was about Tramiel. I was thinking “again? at his age?”

:P

Here’s a tangible reason: when I get a Wii, I expect to put it in the living room. That isn’t where our 360 is (or will be).

Ha!

I saw something on one of his son the other day, Lenord I think, was teaming up Steve Wozniak for some education … thing…

Man, YDKJ nostalgia, disordat hit me like a steamroller. Or something.