Jade Empire - We have a winner?

They just annouced the port.

http://jade.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=433873&forum=79

You dirty rat.

That port is gonna put Pac Man to shame.

I just finished this today, so a thread rez. When you finish, you really need to let the credits play while listening. I liked the game, especially at the new price point thought it a worthwhile purchase.

I just finished it yesterday, too. All in all very good game, but the ‘Good’ ending was a total cop-out.

{Spoiler}

They kept hinting that you had a ‘very hard decision to make’, and that they were using the Water Dragon’s body to alleviate the drought (and thus extending the Empire’s existence ‘unnaturally’- there were several characters who said ‘all things must come to an end’, etc), so I assumed that the choice was going to come down to doing what is right (killing the Dragon, and thus the life support system for the Empire), or leaving the status quo intact and seizing the reins of power for yourself. Instead, you kill the Dragon , and everyting is hunky-dory, there is a new Golden Age, blah blah blahbidy-blah. I feel cheated. Oh well, I might just play through again as evil- something I never did with KOTOR. And as a Magic user- pumping up my CHI and using almost exclusively Magic/Transformation skills. Seems like it would be fun.

Just finished it tonight. Found it very enjoyable. I suppose KOTOR is where it’s at now.

(spoilers)

Yes, I think they did hint that it was only by using the Water Dragon the emperor ended the drought, and that the natural order of things was of an empire in stagnation.
But it seemed in the game they just made the choice to either kill the Dragon, or take its power for your own, like the emperor and Li did (or I suppose that was an option, I didn’t try it).

I was personally delighted by one of the love interest options, but that’s just because I’m so easily bought by same-sex relationships in media.

I read this post without looking at the posters name and knew it was Anders.

Heh. Same here, even though I never even got to any of those relationships. :D

Arise!

I really loved that game. I hope they do more with it.

f2p mobile match-3 gatcha game

I’m in! (Non-ironically, even)

I recently signed up for Origin Access and was surprised to find that the original is in the vault but buried wayyyy deep on the popularity list. I hope they make another one.

I love the 14 years later sign.

I really liked it, too. The combat was just a touch simplistic, but that was fine, really. I liked the world they built. I can’t see a sequel thing well today, though- didn’t the first come out riding the wave of wuxia popularity (Crouching Tiger, Jet Li, etc.)? If it couldn’t make enough sales to warrant a sequel then, what would be the hook today?

When it came out, i remember a lot of complaints from PC players saying the controls were weird and the combat bad. I didn’t buy it at release, but a few years later. Had I known I would enjoy it as much as I did, I would have. The combat is a little… odd when it comes to PC, but I adapted eventually.

I don’t think it sold well, but if anything we’re exposed more to Chinese culture due to these partnership movies than before, and the Chinese market is valid one itself. So if they do something interesting, it could be fun!

Fair enough, I was really a console player, even then- I played on Xbox, so I can’t really speak to I PC players’ control complaints.

Now I’m reminiscing, I do remember people being miffed that it was an action game. How dare Bioware abandon their RPG roots, etc, etc. It was still very Bioware in morality choices- the standard “Do you a) help the old woman cross the street, b) kick the puppy, or c) ask for money?”. Heh.

I should pull out the disc and give it a whirl. It supposedly looks nice enhanced on the Xbox One.

And they were miffed because in the end closed fist or open palm it was basically an evil or good story line. I think the original PC version might have had bad visuals, like they enhanced the resolution later too.

I loved the characters, the music especially, the visuals. It might not be their shining star, but it’s fond in my mind and I’ve had that soundtrack on my playlist ever since. It’s beautiful.

Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot back in the day on the Xbox. And those were the days of the original Xbox, before the 360 Controller for PC came out, so PC ports always have to have mouse and keyboard controls, even for arcade action games like this one. I can’t imagine that being very satisfying.

On Xbox, I do remember being very surprised by the morality system. I remember one of the characters in the game telling you that it wasn’t a matter of good vs evil. I had been impressed by KOTOR blurring the lines, and making me think, for the first time, that maybe the Sith had the better methodology for how the universe should be run. So I was looking forward to more of that. Instead, Jade Empire turned out to be TOTALLY black and white, good vs evil. Which was exactly what they said it wasn’t going to do, so that made it extra funny. I loved it.

Wow, I actually just tried to play this over the weekend. Kind of as a test for the new hard drive I just installed to see what load times would be like, but also because I had a kind of hankering to try it again. However, it did not run out of the box, and a quick Googled fix did resolve the issue.

That being stated, I will go on record saying Jade Empire was Bioware’s most forgettable RPG. It was part of a trend of “simplifying” RPG’s, and what gamers are left with was… button mashing. Sure, you could learn more styles, but in the end it just made more sense to max out a few specific styles than to experiment with a more versatile build. Similarly, the “persuasion” system mostly benefited concentrating a player’s points into a single stat so as to be able to persuade 2 different ways. Since health was notably inferior to Chi and Focus, well, the build was either weapon focused or Chi focused. Weapons could do more damage, but Chi was versatile since it could be replenished.

My guess? EA is planning on doing a re-master since the ROI of those seems to be pretty solid these days even if Bioware’s reputation is besmirched these days. I can’t imagine they are thinking about a new Jade Empire game as way to break in the Chinese market. It would be about as relevant to actual China as God of War was to Greeks.