Jagged Alliance: Rage! - TBS set 20 years after JA:2

I’ll have to look into that. Thanks.

It doesn’t have the gritty feel of the original, the style looks more at home in a less serious IPAD game. Its just not the JA vibe I was hoping for…

Seriously thanks! I didn’t know about the mod, and have some time to burn before Kingmaker comes out :)

You’re welcome. And just to be sure, you know that JA2 also has a very good mod available? :) It’s called 1.13 and changes so many things that I don’t even know where to begin listing them.

Apparently the two guys that ran into each other on the corner, one carrying a Jagged Alliance bar and another a jar of Team Fortress.

I mean, the originals weren’t exactly high-res portraits or hyper realistic settings, but this seems more like what you stated, a tablet game.

I finished it and thought it was decent but the story was also a rehash of JA2, so I guess I feel the same as you. And yes that speed model was weird.

Agreed. I don’t see any problem.

Delayed, the day before launch, to December 6th.

I’d laugh but it’s too sad.

Please be good. Please be good.

So, this game is for Xbox only? I don’t see a PC link on the MS Store.

PC, PS4, and Xbox according to the game’s website.
https://jaggedalliance.com

$17.99 on Steam right now. I’ll probably pick this up if the early reviews are on the positive-ish side.

Edit: maybe not… this is disappointing to see:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/463170/discussions/0/1743353798882892796/

tl;dr 7 mercs, no strategy layer.

People forget how hard it is to make these games well. And on a shoestring budget? Not happening.

I would argue for the developers own sake that they should have made their own new IP / setting. Nobody likes a “sequel” with far less features than the original.

Why bother with a sequel if they were going to gut the original? It’s like buying Jagged Alliance 0. No strategic layer, no sector inventory, no salaries, no merchants? Hard, hard pass.

I would prefer a brand new JA2 campaign, like Wildfire. I’m not sure how the economic factors add up compared to developing Rage, however. Wildfire probably took a lot of effort to create.

Anyway, how many junk sequels/remakes have been developed? Must be 4 or 5, now. How many times until developers learn from these mistakes? At this point they must be trolling us.

I’d love a remake of Jagged Alliance 2 with the addition of a random map generator, kinda like Age of Wonders Shadow Magic.

I’d love a procedural merc generator. Give them strong traits, like afraid of dogs and heights, hates some other guy, had an affair with another girl. I love the personalities in JA2, but the limited number of mercs means I’m hesitant to let any of them die and end up save-scumming, unlike original X-Com where everyone is pretty much replaceable.

I think I asked once on Bear’s Pit if maps are stored in text files. That would have made it a lot easier for someone like me to experiment with random maps. (I have made random maps for other games.)

But fast forward a decade, and I am kind of sick of nearly every new game using procedural generation. 90% of the time it is inconsequential or just plain sucks.

I regret creating this thread. Ugh.