J'ai une âme solitaire: Solitaire Boardgaming Megathread!

For those waiting on the D-Day at Omaha Beach reprint, the 3rd edition is now available for pre-order at the Decision Games website.

The new edition is scheduled to ship in early June and includes a mounted game board.

Here a few thoughts about Urbion.I like it, as it’s easy to understand and to play. In the middle of your “board” you have four city cards. On each side of the cities you place dream cards. Dark ones on the left, light ones on the right. You gain a city card, if the values on the cards on both sides are equal (like 5+1 on one side and 4+2 on the other). Of course there are rules that make this project a bit more difficult and there are chaos cards to throw the whole thing off balance.
Here are the cards:

What makes this game more difficult for me is: In Onirim you only had to bear in mind that there are more red stars than green ones and that there are less moons altogether. Here you have different card values on each side (3s, 2s and 1s on the dark side and 4s, 2s and 1s on the light side) with special symbols each that only can be attached to certain cities. All in all a enjoyable experience but a bit less relaxing than Onirim. Still, a very good game in my opinion and I hope this post wasn’t way more than you wanted to know. ;-)

On another note: Did anyone play Fireteam Zero? I read very mixed opinions about it. Although I’m not that much into the plastic soldiers design.

I own Fireteam Zero (base game) and played the first mission. I stopped, only because I needed to clear up my table at the time and then it never made it back on. I do want to go back to it though. The game theme is a mix of Occult and World War 2 that I don’t feel sick of just yet. The base game offers 3 campaigns of 3 scenarios each. The general principal is to explore a map to flip special encounters. The encounter deck is composed of 3 distinct mission cards shuffled through it to progress the story alongside 9 random events that can be either good or bad. There’s a never-ending stream of monsters that spawn to hinder progress, though capped to the number the game makes available at the start. It is the number of these monsters that dictate the game scale with player number. Plenty of dice rolling involved is what I really remember.

I guess it reminds me, and plays a lot like Zombicide mixed with a little of PC game X-Com. A big part of the game is crowd control, the monsters spawning will always outnumber the players, and it comes down to a particular player character choosing the right moment to hopefully kill multiple monsters at the same time in order for the team to progress. If I recall, there’s a light deck building component between missions that serve as character development.

Show off! :)

That’s cool to see. I’ve never actually seen Urbion, but it sure does have that Elise Plessis look! Gameplay sounds more like Castellion than Onirim in that it’s about fitting pieces together. It also sounds puzzly in a way that would hurt my head, but I’m just telling myself that because it’s out of print.

-Tom

Been playing a few games solo while wating for the kid to get ready for some Mechs vs. Minions this weekend.

At the Gates of Loyang - I hate vegetables…have since 2nd grade. Little reason this game would sway my opinion on them. Scored a 13 the first two plays with them. A good player scores 17…great one 19-20. I hate vegetables even more now.

Warhammer Quest: Adventure Card Game - Got tired of playing LOTR:TCG as building decks just gets old after 3-4 times. Of course, I bought MANY of the expansions which made that process more unbearable. Playing Warhammer is kind of a breath of fresh air with the 8 action cards per hero. I spent more time with LOTR looking up rules from all the cards…this one pretty simple. Just wish there were more campaigns…some decent fan made ones but still. For $20, it was worth it.

Freedom, The Underground Railroad - Really enjoy this. Played twice so far solo. Money is the problem…never have enough to get the tokens needed in order to win the game. Need to move more people North East where the money cites are…good game with the need to balance moving, making money, sacrificing one for the good of many. Interesting and difficult game.

Going to try and learn all the bones in Too Many Bones next. Way too many bones but what the heck.

Played my first game of The Barbarossa Campaign.

Amazing system. Captured Moscow on winter 1941 through some very lucky combat draws, but I was unable to capture Stalingrad on '42 (got to the gates) and things went downwards from there.

It’s really clever how the Soviet “AI” is handled. A mix of mild AI, turn abstraction and pre-scripted (although randomized) economic development. the game switches pretty seamlessly from being on the offense as the Germans to having to defend desperately, but I felt mostly in control (just faced with a very hard problem to solve). The way Soviet counter-offensive work (easily creating pockets and isolating big chunks of your armies if you are not careful) is impressive.

Definitely medium-high weight, but lighter than most John Butterfield works and other solitaire wargames (much lighter than Enemy Action Ardennes). Basically it’s a medium-high weight solitaire boardgame and a medium light to light solitaire wargame. Highly recommended so far (let’s see how much longevity it has, but with several scenarios, I would say a lot).

I would not recommend getting it, though, since VPG are most likely releasing a redesign soon, with much higher production values.

My college buddy Paul has a solitaire/co-op game called Zero Hour that hits Kickstarter tomorrow. I imagine it will get funded, since their previous Kickstarters (his company is Split Second Games, and their most visible prior release is a blimp racing game called Quicksilver) have been easily funded and delivered on time and the ask is typically modest…because the game’s done and has been in testing for more than a year, and the funding is mostly production work.

Anyway, Zero Hour is a zombie game, lots of dice mechanics, and Paul swears they took a pretty good whack at solving the Pandemic Problem with it…and also creating a pulpy, fun take on zombies that isn’t as grim as others in the genre. Video link when I have it to come.

Yes please!

Be sure to play on super easy mode of you haven’t played yet. Game is BRUTAL.

Santa brought Zombicide: Black Plague. Enjoying the second scenario with a Zombicider (cider and Jamaica rum)!

I’m in deep doodoo…

I was able to trade bile and torch to Baldric, who smote the abomination and fatty. There’s still hope!

So, a fun solo-able light dungeon crawl. Rum not included.

Wow nice setup!

Played a solo game of Fallout! Love how the story evolves based on your decisions (very nice mechanic) and the annoying victory conditions isn’t a issue on solo. Though, I still like playing with other players better despite the clunky victory conditions.

Also played the recently revamped Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game, a great game better with the additional doctor content! The best Doctor Who game ever made, most thematic game ive played, event better than the recent GF9 effort (and free). Has the feel of a legacy game without stickers lol

Other honorable mentions Dawn of the Zeds, Guardians’ Chronicles: Clash of Heroes, Nemos War!

Next up Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven

@David2, I’ll be interested in hearing how you manage Imperial Assault solitaire. I gather there are some solo rules available on BGG.

I played a session of Terraforming Mars solitaire the other day, and I enjoyed it. I managed to finish terraforming Mars just in time, but it was a close thing. I’ve also played the game multiplayer (with my kid), and while I prefer it that way, the solo experience was satisfying too.

Just now I completed a solitaire play of Wild Blue Yonder, GMT’s newly-revamped card game about WW2 air combat. It’s not really designed for solo play, except for the solo campaign to shoot down a V-1 rocket. Still, I wanted to try a “regular” campaign, so I played Stage I of “Rommel Attacks.” It worked reasonably well solo. With at least three hands in every mission, and often four hands, I usually had no clue what was in the other guys’ hands, lol. Especially as I’d perform each draw step by dealing cards face-down before moving on to the next pair of aircraft.

But wow, my Brits could not catch a break: nothing went right. Over the course of the campaign, the Germans successfully bombed an airfield and ground troops, they won an 8-aircraft dogfight, and they had no aircraft destroyed or even significantly damaged, while the Brits lost two fighters (and their pilots). Final score: 31-0 for the Axis, an Outstanding Result for Rommel.

Even BETTER! Imperial Assault: Legends of the Alliance is a IPAD app! I played the tutorial, which was easy, it basically manages the imperial side for you! It actually manages the complete campaign for you! It hides triggers from you, it tells you what to do when the trigger is hit, it gives you the actions of the enemy and what they can do (hard to explain). It has extra decisions to make in-between missions that add/effect the game! It has a very nice slick interface for it all, you semi think you are playing merge of a computer/board game!

I tried Fallout solo and really didnt like it. Dont know why but was hoping for a good time…liked it better playing with my kid.

Been playing Perdition’s Mouth and really enjoy the tactical battles.

I was over the moon when I got Wild Blue Yonder and have only managed to actually play it once. I want to devour all those campaigns and boy there are a lot of them. I can’t imagine this as a solo game either so my hats off to you for trying.

Tom Mc

Even BETTER! Imperial Assault: Legends1 of the Alliance is a IPAD app!

Wow, I had no clue about the companion app! I’m gonna check it out lickety-split. I have the boxed game sitting here, and I’ve never played it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Well, it’s not ideal for solo play, but I’ve really enjoyed it. Solitaire a good way to learn the system, and it’s fun in its own right. When I solo wargames, I enjoy seeing how things play out. The more the Brits encountered hard knocks in my little campaign, the more I was rooting for them, but the cards wanted what they wanted.

Unquestionably it’ll be better multiplayer. I hope you have an opponent!

It only came out very recently.