J'ai une âme solitaire: Solitaire Boardgaming Megathread!

This stupid game is breaking my head so hard. I hate you I hate you I hate you, @countzero! Arglebargleargle I thought the frickin’ spring was under that chip but it’s the key? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN???LJO(U*(*#&%)

Thanks for the heads-up on this!

-Tom

For those who might be interested, Yggdrasil (a very clever solitaire game about - you know - that Norse stuff) is being reprinted by Ludonaute. Boardgamegeek.com is taking pre-orders. The price is $50 plus shipping. Secondhand copies are running $100-$150 plus shipping. So you might want to get in on it, or at least be on the lookout for it from others.

Wow, Triplock looks cool and definitely going on to my wishlist. I don’t know this company though so not sure how long they keep stock/reprint. I love the look of the Deluxe Playmat as well.

Oh man, just don’t take a look at Too Many Bones or you’ll be falling down the Chip Theory hole soon enough. Their components are top notch.

And the reprint is sold out. Boo.

Played my first game of Deep Madness. I lowered a few of the monster card spawns as I read it was brutal by the rules.

9 turns. On turn 3 it seemed too easy and wish I had not turned down the spawn. Uh, on turn 5, one of my 4 characters was stuck in a space with 3 enemies and could not escape but also was running out of oxygen and so could not do any actions as she was also low on health and any action while low on oxygen could cause enough damage to kill her.

Sent an SMG dude to clear out those few baddies which he did but on turn 6 the stuck chic could only move to the space with the SMG dude and as he was also low on oxygen, neither could try to do much, but she tried one last time to fight her way out as they were becoming surrounded and could not last long. She attacked but had to roll a damage check from low oxygen beforehand and failed and died.I

Everyone has to live to win the scenario so that was it.

This is a very cool, very tough horror sci-fi game.

Lots of expansions with tons of monsters, both regular and Elite. Lots of variables in setup.

Most games I usually play once, put it away and pull out another but I instantly reset this as it creates a fun and exciting story as you play.

I have a hard time with actually setting up and playing solitaire games, so I don’t usually buy them. I am starting to appreciate them now and had purchased Nemo’s War. Over the last week I’ve added Skies Above the Reich and Comancheria.

Comancheria is the one I’ve been reading through and watching the designer’s videos on. I never had Navajo Wars but apparently Comancheria is lighter in some respects and a little quicker to get through. I really enjoy the concept behind the series, guiding a first nation through its history and preserving it as long as possible. Comancheria seems to chronicle a more aggressive and expansionist nation. The 1700 beginning date has the Comanche looking at a sprawling map full of bison and small tribes to raid. Of course there are the Spanish to the South and West as well as hostile tribes to the North. The flow of history is against the Comanche and things just get rough from there. To drive home the aggressive nature of the Comanche you’re pushed to extend yourself even in the good times. You’ve got goals on the history cards you must meet or it’s counted as a defeat.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to playing it. I think Navajo Wars is heading towards a reprint and I hope the series goes on.

Some thoughts on solo gaming from two designers.

Thanks for linking that Tylertoo. Reading that, and I found so much of myself in the narrative. Sitting behind me at the computer is a couple of display cabinets holding a hoard of board games, many of which chosen for their solo play experience. And behind me even more so are the gamebooks, some of which I fondly remember growing up on and re-experiencing again when I feel so inclined.

Computer games are great and all, but every so often, removing myself from the screen and sitting at a table working through the puzzle that is a board game is deeply satisfying. Sure, I am sitting alone, the house is dead silent, and it is only me going through the highs and the lows. But when I have the dice in hand, I also ponder whether me cheating the game (or not) is indicative of the sort of person I am. Why cheat now when I wouldn’t cheat other people? So I settle with a bad roll all too often and work harder to get out of a bad situation.

One small thing I’m trying to shake is what feels like a sense of shame in being a solo gamer. Sure, the FLGS guy doesn’t care, I’m giving him money. To me though, I feel like I’m in this weird position where I buy these games all for myself, to not share with anyone, knowing full well he gets to play with a group of friends every week the highly complex Euros he’s so fond of. But in our emails, I often times talk up the times I play with friends and the fun we had with a particular game while neglecting the joys I might have in sending my Mage Knight off to a nearby city to try and conquer it. For some reason, with me, solo gaming feels kinda taboo. Why? The author brings up a valid point - it’s so hard in our lives to organise people to come together.

It’s funny because I’ve come to terms with the fact that I prefer solo gaming to my gaming group, but that may because the others in the group are not close friends. They’re nice guys, sociable, but I don’t really know them well. I’m perfectly fine staying home and playing a solo board game. But I also prefer games that have narratives – not strategy games – and I get caught up in the narrative.

I also take notes sometimes when I solo game. Probably because I’m a total nerd.

I’m glad to hear you mention this, because I completely understand the feeling. That huge Gloomhaven box, the even huger Kingdom Death Monster box, all those Arkham Horror cards, all those pieces in the Doolittle Raids game, those wooden blocks in Skies Above the Reich, those colorful Oniverse boxes, all that stuff is just for me and me alone. I have a ton of other games to play with friends, but I spend easily half of my boardgaming dollars – and a good bit of time, to boot – on things that I will never play with them. And by choice. It’s not because I have nothing else to do or no one to play boardgames with.

It’s because I enjoy completely owning, solely driving, and wholly understanding the narrative and mechanics in these self-contained story/challenge machines. They’re like computer games but without any graphics to shove my imagination aside and without any rules running unseen under the hood and without any hardware conflicts or bugs or framerate issues. They’re tactile and complete, played at my own pace, saved anywhere. I can mull over a turn for an hour while I do something else, or just charge ahead to see what happens, because if it all falls apart, I can just start again.

But I know it looks weird to a lot of people who have no compunction about playing a computer game solitaire, or boardgaming with a group of friends. Why doesn’t it make perfect sense that just as someone might play a computer game with friends, someone also might play a boardgame solitaire? To me, they’re all of a piece.

-Tom

So very much this.

Just letting people know that VPG’s excellent Nemo’s War 2nd Edition has a Kickstarter up for two new small expansions (including the ability to snag the first expansion they did, which was new to the reprint Kickstarter they did last year). If for whatever reason you missed both the original and reprint KS for this edition you could also pledge for a copy of the base game along with the expansions:

Thanks, would’ve missed this if not for your post!

I had a copy at one point. It’s a brilliant game, but also punishingly difficult and–like the history it depicts–extremely depressing. I thought enough of the game that I read it’s primary source material: Hampton Sides’s Blood and Thunder and was very impressed with how well the game captures the historical milieu–not with elaborate minis and gorgeous maps, but with chits, cards, and cubes. Hard to believe it’s the design work of this one pastor guy. It has perhaps the best rulebook ever written, and the mechanics are so tightly bound to the theme that they leave ligature marks.

Boardgaming in 2018!

Well said Tom. I’m glad I’m not the only one. I felt bad initially when a friend whom I semi-regularly play games with asked about some of the games I had stashed in my room, and all I could say is that I buy them for me, not for the group. I don’t always agree with Tom’s viewpoint on co-operative games, but at the same time, there are definite co-op games that should solely function as a solo play experience. One example is Darkest Night. I couldn’t imagine having a group of 4 sitting down to play that, and someone playing a boring support role hero while the knight goes off farming all the glory for the benefit of the group. Another example, the Pathfinder ACG I so much prefer solo. Its that party based RPG when I need to divorce myself from the screen in front of me. Sure it has its own limitations, but it brings with it an emergent story of my own making.

No way! Not a nerd. Totally, totally understandable. The beauty I’ve come to appreciate with solo games is being able to take as long or as little as I want with the game. I’ve had Eldritch Horror sitting on my table for days, weeks even on the same game. I come back to it, one or two turns at a time to progress. Taking notes would save me a lot of trouble when I realise all too late that I had such and such item, or was going to move somewhere to co-ordinate things. Importantly, a solo board game means being able to set your own pace.

I really appreciate the eloquence in Tom’s comment about owning, driving and understanding the narrative. That’s definitely why I do it. I don’t have to think about anyone but myself. What I lose in social experience, giving friends grief and the general conversation that occurs I make up for with gameplay fitting a pace and a narrative that I can appreciate and control.

This is how I look at it. No one bats an eye when I play God of War by my lonesome, but if I do the same with Gloomhaven, everyone loses their minds.

It also seems there are just a lot more solo rules in games nowadays or games made solo only than there used to be years ago.

I bought Tactics ii and a few other Avalon Hill games in High school because I just loved how hard core they were compared to the Monopoly and Risk I was playing. I wanted to make those kinds of games. But, back then none of my friends played so I never played them and they sat on my shelf for years unused.

With games like Conflict of Heroes and Enemy Action Ardennes, games with great solo rules or modules, I can now dive into these games and enjoy them how I wanted to so many years ago.

I only have one friend who played Twilight Struggle with me but he moved 100 miles away so I’m back to solo only until I can get my kid more involved (off the video games) but with so many good solo and coop games I’m having a great time challenging myself.

Hello (first time I post in this thread!).
It’s the holiday season, as I can potentially buy board games without auctionning a kidney, I’m considering purchasing one for me. But the ones I’ve been eyeing for years are out of stock (Nemo’s War, Navajo Wars) or not even imported (The Barbarossa Campaign).
From those I seem to be able to physically purchase, I am considering Apache/Thunderbolt Leader, because I enjoyed Phantom Leader on the lackluster iPad app, but it may be a bit too complex? I am also considering Eldritch Horror with the Forsaken Lore expansion.
If I could get some input or suggestions. I am mostly interested in stuff with an historical theme (such as the Cthulhu mythos? errm) and space is an issue, as I don’t have a very large table and am too old to get up ever again after playing on the floor.
Thank you.

Mmmm, space might be indeed an issue. Problem with a lot of solo games is that they take a long time to play, so you have to leave them set up. Also, Eldritch Horror is not for the space concerned player. The board is not too bad, but all the other stuff you have to put on the table eats space fast.

The Barbarossa Campaign. I bought directly from VP games and the shipping was not too bad, since it’s a folio game. Problem is that it’s a somewhat long game and you might have to leave it up for several sessions. Also, price is reaaally high for the quality of the components and there are rumors they might reprint a deluxe version, and I would investigate that and wait if it’s so. It’s a great game, though.

My recommendations with a low footprint and lowish playing time (playing one session and storing is an option). Note that I tend to like the heavier stuff:

Historical games:
Skies above the Reich (each mission is not too long, and you can keep play area small).
Conflict of Heroes + the solo expansion also plays somewhat fast and should be easy to obtain.

Non-Historical games:
Astra Titanus from VP games, which is solitaire ogre in spaaaaace. Fun and a good choice to ship together with the Barbarossa campaign to save on shipping costs.
Dawn of the Zeds (although here space could become an issue. It’s borderline)
Space Hulk Death Angel
Spirit Island (could be considered “historicalish”)
Unicornus Knights.

All these are fun and play fast. Dawn of the Zeds is the heaviest, but the others are medium complexity but with a lot of theme.