J'ai une âme solitaire: Solitaire Boardgaming Megathread!

Yeah, I’m realizing that as I fiddle with it more. Also, I was playing it wrong*! Doh. No wonder it was so easy. Do you like it, jellyfish? I’m playing someone else’s copy but now I’m considering getting my own copy.

-Tom

• You can’t play two symbols of the same kind in a row. However, I was ignoring that rule once I’d played a set of three. I was starting a new set of three starting with the same symbol the ended the previous set of three. Now that I realize you can’t do that, it’s much more challenging!

Well I see in that other thread that you already bought it. Yes I like it. I play it primarily as a co-op though. And if I am not mistaken you aren’t into that sort of thing.

Well, I don’t like playing co-op games cooperatively if there’s no reason to play them cooperatively (i.e. if they don’t have any hidden information). But I quite enjoy playing those sorts of games solitaire. :) That said, I can see two-player Onirim being an interesting multiplayer puzzle if you play without communicating to the other player what’s in your hand. Is that how you’ve played it? Or do you and another player just work together openly? I can imagine the former can be pretty challenging/frustrating.

And, yeah, I went ahead and bought Onirim for myself. It’s what triggered my latest boardgaming binge. Stupid Onirim.

-Tom

I know this is going to sound shocking to you, but I like playing co-op even when all information is open to everyone. Yes you can technically play the co-op version all by yourself. And come to think of it, that may be worth a try. It does have an interesting mechanic where some of the card hand is shared by both players.

The only reason I could imagine not wanting to play a cooperative game with my friends was if I didn’t like my friends or want to spend time with them. I’m sure you like your friends, Tom, but that’s just about how nutty I find your position on pure cooperative games.

Well, you might want to expand your imagination to consider a third option: playing the overwhelming majority of games in which your friends’ presence isn’t optional. When I hang out with my friends to play a game, we prefer games that take full advantage of us being together. Including cooperative games like Homeland, Battlestar Galactica, Dark Moon, and Legendary Encounters: Alien. I can spend my time playing solitaire games like Eldritch Horror, Sentinels of the Multiverse, the Lord of the Rings CCG, and Pandemic when they’re not around to join me. :)

-Tom

The Nemo’s War 2nd Edition Kickstarter just went live.

Not due to be released for almost a year, but get your order in, I did! I never grabbed the 1st edition, but I’ve been intrigued ever since Tom’s front page article and the Tom vs Bruce spotlight.

Thanks! I’ve been waiting on this one.

I thought they were almost done with 2nd edition… 1 year from now? hm…

I was a bit surprised by that as well. But I’m hoping it’s just a case of VPG covering their bases. They predicted the latest edition of Dawn of the Zeds would be shipping back in November, but now it seems it will be closer to February (or later). So maybe they’re just padding the dates a bit? I can’t blame them if that’s the case. Some backers scream bloody murder if a project is even a month late.

Backed as well! I’d never heard of this until Tom started talking about it, looks really good! I think I read on one of the developer posts that while they are almost play-testing complete and ready for printing once the Kickstarter is complete, in their experience printing a game overseas and shipping it to the U.S. generally takes about 9 months which I think explains the November delivery date.

I feel your frustration though. I’ll just add this to the list of board games i’ve kickstarted that I wait so long for I pretty much forget about them…

Nemo’s War 2nd Edition
Millenium Blades
High Frontier
Scythe

Must find a new job in the next few weeks so I can back this :D

Can’t wait for Scythe! Should be incredible when it’s finally ready…

Yes Scythe is definitely the one I’m most excited for in that group!

I just finished a game of Dawn of the Zeds. Several hopeful turns passed early on with the city relatively secured. But Alyssa Darling died ignobly in her first attempt to thin out an approaching horde. She rolled two ones. How unlikely. And how embarrassing. Sheriff Hunt fared much better, and he even sneaked into the tunnels through the nuclear plant entrance to capture Dr. Marteuse and bring him to jail. Hunt eventually went down defending the suburbs with explosives. All zombies killed and suburbs secured, but he went down with them.

A short time thereafter, raiders worked their way up the suburbs tracking, clearing out the zombie held territory along the way. Thanks, guys! And the team of Army Rangers arrived from the forest track just in time to keep the raiders out of Farmingdale in the very suburbs where Hunt had died. Raiders killed, but the Rangers were seriously weakened in the fight.

Special Agent Wright later showed up due to a Fate Card at the exact same time as a Hospital Efficiency event. During a 4 action turn, that’s one action to move her into the hospital and the remaining three actions for automatic heals, each one reducing the infection level to delay impending outbreaks. She then held off lots of zombies burbling up through the tunnels, finding their way through the catacombs. Wright used precious rare ammo scavenged by the hermit Wilson. Unfortunately, when Wright shifted to the East Side to defend from a particularly large horde coming down from the mountains (they arrive in much smaller numbers in the narrow confines of the tunnels), she could only hold out so long. The ammo gave out and the zombies flooded in. Game over.

I survived 38 out of 62 cards. In the 25 cards left to go, the National Guard rescue was only 10 cards away! And when I went to record the score on my score sheet – you guys have score sheets in all your games, don’t you? – I saw that the last time I’d played was exactly one year ago, making it through exactly the same number of cards.

-Tom

I’m weak and backed the new edition of Dawn of the Zeds, even though I have the last edition. Hopefully it’s different enough to merit the purchase of both. But in the future I should avoid the Kickstarter page when I’m in my cups.

Such a good game. Recently picked up the expansion since I had decided against the third edition since due to time constraints didn’t play second edition yet enough to justify picking up the next one.

Yeah thanks entirely to Tom’s write-ups about them, I backed both of the new editions of Dawn of the Zeds and Nemo’s War. Looking forward to when I finally get my hands on them.

I have so far held off on Nemo’s War. I think it will be an outstanding game just tough to part with money for a game I won’t see for almost a year when so many other great ones I could have between now and then.

only 4 days for Nemo’s War KS… to back or not to back? It could be hard to geth here in Europe… and might get OOP very fast. Comparing it to 1st ed. it looks so good… I need someone to push me over the tipping point either in the one or the other direction…

Do it, do it! I did…I’ve been impressed with both VPG titles I’ve played. Infection and Darkest Night. Going to try out Cruel Necessity as soon as I get a chance.