J'ai une âme solitaire: Solitaire Boardgaming Megathread!

Just ordered…now what to play first!

I played Scythe solo and then sold it. I could see the posibilities of the game with others but solo, the Automa was fine but just expands out from it’s base each and every game and after one play I could see the same kind of game happening…yes, you can play more than one, but again, expands out and I just dont see the variety in that to be fun.

What would you say is state of siege at its best? I’ve been wanting to play Zulus on the Ramparts for a while (that’s a state of siege game, right?) but VPG games are hard to find in Europe, at least at a price that doesn’t rival a Fantasy Flight big box game. I’ve been eyeballing a few other state of siege games, and Cruel Necessity is one of those. What would you recommend?

Dawn of the Zeds, obviously. :)

Yeah, Dawn of the Zeds, or Ottoman Sunset (breezy but historically detailed account of Turkey in WWI), or Empires in America (French and Indian War, with some really cool leader mechanics). Zulus on the Ramparts is very early and rudimentary state of siege.

-Tom

Dawn of the Zeds for sure.

Zulus on the Ramparts is very early and rudimentary state of siege.

So I can safely take it off my wishlist? Or is it worth checking out anyway?

Was going to say you could try out the iOs version for much cheaper but apparently it’s no longer being sold. Darn.

I’d say it’s obsoleted at this point. Unless you’re really keen on recreating Rorke’s Drift, you should definitely get a more recent state of siege.

-Tom

I wish I’d known about these games when they were running the kickstarter. I’ve been hoping they might do another one, but I guess that’s probably a while off.

I’m pretty keen on recreating Rorke’s Drift, so I might still give this a go, if I can find it at the right price. I’ll keep an eye on Ottoman Sunset, though, as that interests me too.

It’s still available on the VPG website and Amazon. Not a cheap game though.

edit: currently a bit cheaper on sale at Noble Knight ($64.76).

Yeah, it’s not cheap, and with transport and import fees the price would increase significantly, putting it way beyond what I’m comfortable with paying for a board game.

I did back the Nemo’s War kickstarter, though, and I’m really looking forward to that one. It should be coming soon, I hope.

Actually the Zeds 3 kickstarter was around that same price as well… :P

I backed Nemo also, and Darkest Night - getting quite the little collection of VPG stuff together! If they ever release it. :)

@Nikolaj I don’t remember where you are at, but if it’s the EU Dawn of the zeds is on sale at Amazon in several EU stores. Not cheap, but also not incredibly expensive. FFG big box level, really. If you are in the EU, you should be able to get it for 90 euros shipping included, I think (and no customs, obviously).

…and really, the Zeds box has quite a lot of stuff in it! :) Beyond the totally unnecessary amount of rulebooks I mean…

Thanks Juan! I’m in Denmark, and amazon.de does indeed have it, and I get free shipping from there.

It’s not going to be this month, for sure, but maybe sometime in the new year, if they still have it.

Well, I’m glad I could help!

Started my first game of “Freedom: The Underground Railroad”. Solo, 1 player.

Began by moving a few slaves out of the plantations heading North. Tried too quickly to get money saved up to pay for the 1st period support token. Did not buy enough conductor tokens. Once I bought the support token I was then out of money so I could not get any conductor tokens but was able to get a few abolishonist movement cards. There was a negative card keeping me from getting money from Southern Cities for fundraising…and I thought the card had to slide off the bottom area instead of me paying to take it off…so that kept my money down for a few turns. Because of the money issue, I could not keep the plantations empty enough for the new slaves coming in each turn…only last until turn 5 when I had lost too many. I did manage to get ONE to Canada…yaaa.

Should go better next time but it’s a fairly difficult game solo and am pretty happy about that…do not need something to be easy, especially being a solo player.

Mine is coming in tomorrow - UPS notified me the package is on it’s way! Too bad I won’t be able to touch it until this weekend. Too much going on the next few days.

Aw, c’mon, you could at least break the shrink wrap, punch out some of the counters, unfold the board for a quick look, skim the rules book, that sort of thing.

I just can’t keep my hands off a new game as soon as it arrives. Pretty much everything grinds to a halt until I’ve arranged all the components and read over the rules at least once. It’s like a psychological condidtion I have. Mustopennewgameitis, I think it’s called.

-Tom

I just received two games today at my work place. Had to pick the kid up for lunch which takes my whole hour but made an excuse of a bank run earlier so I could hang out in the car and check out the games…fun before money!