J'ai une âme solitaire: Solitaire Boardgaming Megathread!

Comancheria is under my Christmas tree, according to my intel. I’m excited to try it!

Eldritch Horror and Foresaken Lore, according to my Intel, which should be good as I was the source! ;)

Still waiting for Comancheria (still has not shipped…augh).

Just got Snowdonia, Fleet, Gato Leader. Way too many games…get a bit confused learning new rules each week.

Playing a little Legendary Marvel with my kid. Bought him Mechs and Minions for xmas.

Wife hates me.

Be sure to post after you’ve had some time with that. Submarine warfare seems like such a natural subject for solitaire gaming, but I didn’t like that Hunters solitaire submarine game.

-Tom

If you were a P500 order, they don’t update your shipping status. The only way I knew it shipped was to join myups so when they shipped it UPS notified me that a package from GMT was on it’s way.

I am trying to sell The Hunters as I also did not like the game much. I also had Silent War and began the campaign but that didn’t last long.

Will be “surprising” myself by unwrapping U-Boat leader in the morning…will try some of it next weekend for sure.

I did a P500 order for Comancheria but it was just two weeks ago so I’m crossing my fingers.

Azathoth awakened and devoured the world.

Sat down and played Friday a bunch today. I’d bought it two years ago but never played it much. Really becomes a quick game once you get the hang of it, and lots of options once you’ve built up your deck.

Still can’t beat it, but getting further each time. Very roguelike-like.

Just got back to the game. Ended up getting 3 war columns on the map in a very short order. One made it my initial rancheria (probably a bad placement by me) in 2 war phases and because I had 0 military points and 2 culture points I instantly lost the game. Bummer. It seemed like it was going very well and went south in a hurry. I was doing OK on culture points but I had several culture attacks in a row that depleted them down.

I returned from vacation to find Nautilion waiting for me. I never watch unboxing videos, but I would absolutely watch one for Shadi’s games. The artwork and presentation are so…and I know this isn’t a cool word, but it’s all I got, sorry- delightful, I just love diving into it all and checking out the artwork, the inevitable cool little miniature, even the manual is just a joy to read.

It doesn’t even end there- Shadi’s games are also a pleasure to behold in motion.

http://www.zmangames.com/uploads/4/7/1/7/47170931/screen-shot-2016-09-09-at-10-21-56-am.png?339

The tokens arrange themselves in a beautiful spiral, curling like a conch shell- the very conch you find on the back of the tokens!

I bought Nautilon, Sylvion, and Castillion a few weeks ago and so far have only opened Nautilon. I played the base game and it seemed a little easier than even Onirim but I know these games really reveal themselves as you fold in the expansions.

I agree with Mark that I really like how these games use physical space, they all look really unique without ever using a board.

I am just waiting on Nemo’s War. I kickstarted it without much research based on the theme and art and general positive buzz. Did any of you play 1st Edition? What did you think of it?

Maybe this is just me, but I always thought about the Oniverse games less in terms of base game + expansions, and more like a cascading tutorial that prepares you for the game proper. The parts of the game are modular in theory, but I think in practice you generally want to play with all of them once you’ve got your sea-legs, so to speak.

That’s a good way to think about it yeah. A running tutorial of sorts. I only took a quick peak through the rules but at a glance it looked like Nautilon has less expansions than Onirim at least.

Pffft! Cascading tutorial…Running tutorial…

It’s Programmed Instruction, people!

/removes grognard hat

😁

Played Snowdonia last night 2 times solo with the 1st train. Never played this game with others.

1st game took too long thinking I had all the time in the world to build my railroad, kind of annoyed with that thought, then after about 10 turns noticed my cube bag getting very small with all the event cubes in there…2 turns in a row 3 events came out and ended the game quickly. Scored an 86. 160-220 is considered something to strive for.

2nd game grabbed more cubes from the stockyard and spent them to keep the bag a bit more full so those darn events would not come out so quickly after 8-10 turns. Well, somehow I kept pulling white event cubes no matter what other cubes were in the bag…horrific. 72 points that game.

I’m all in on this…really enjoyed it…have two of the expansions but obviously it’s going to be awhile before I get to those!

Where are you guys getting Nautilion? My go-to places to buy games either don’t have it in (Coolstuffinc) or are charging way too much (Amazon.com via some third party seller)?

I’ve been unpacking and sorting copies of Mansions of Madness, Second Edition and the Arkham Horror card game. So far, I regret both purchases, especially Mansions of Madness. What an absolutely pathetic piece of thoughtlessly cobbled together junk. Mage Knight might be displaced as the worst boardgame of all time. At least Mage Knight knows what it’s doing, even if I think it’s doing it the wrong way. Mansions of Madness? It just seems like such a clueless ramshackle heap of bits and pieces from other games, even down to the components. I need to actually play it, though, to really find out how I feel. It relies heavily on some iOS app that I suspect is going to be a disaster.

The Arkham Horror card game, on the other hand, at least seems like a potentially interesting system, especially since I never got into their Lord of the Rings game, which I presume this is based on. I like their Warhammer card game system for how streamlined and replayable it is, but I’m guessing their LCGs like this and Lord of the Rings have strayed pretty far from that concept. The Arkham Horror thing just reeks of being an incomplete product designed to get you to buy moar stuff. Fantasy Flight is so fucking shameless.

Finally, I’m really getting into Comancheria the more I lose, try alternate approaches, and then survive a little further into the game. I’ve made it to the third of four eras, each basically introducing one of the Comanche’s historical enemies: other tribes, Spain, Texas, and finally the US. The other tribes and Spain have been fairly manageable. For Texas, I think I just have to get a little luckier. But the US era seems like it’s just going to be an inevitable death spiral. i.e. Historically accurate!

-Tom

I picked up Nautilion along with Castillion and Sylvion at Miniature Market right around Christmas. It was on pre-order but was delivered about a week later.

I actually got Nautilion from the link I posted above, to Miniature Market. It’s sold out now, unfortunately. I posted it originally out of hope to get a sale or two for Qt3.

It’s not based on the LotR system, particularly, other than, I suppose, that they’re both played with cards.

Both LotR and AH are variably replayable, depending on how much you enjoy trying out different deck concepts and/or changing up difficulty levels. If playing around with different characters or decks isn’t your bag, then they’re not going to be all that replayable.

I guess so, although that pretty much describes every nerd pursuit ever, so whatever.