J'ai une âme solitaire: Solitaire Boardgaming Megathread!

I’ve just paid the piper and ordered VPG’s The Barbarossa Campaign

In my research, I noticed that @Brooski called it one of the greatest solitaire wargames out there (piquing my interest, since I trust Dr. Geryk’s take most of the time.) I’m waiting with breath (bated, of course).

If I may be so bold as to ask y’all who’ve played it, what is it about TBC that makes it so enthralling? I’ve seen a few comments over on BGG that the post-Citadel game (late '43-'45) is a bit boring and math-y. Is that a fair critique?

Thanks!

I have only played the full game and failed to advance very far before getting destroyed (many times), but my preliminary take on it is that it is a solitaire game that feels purely strategic and not tactical or puzzley. You are not just reacting to random events like in, say, Stage of Siege games because the power of each singular event card is not that great, the AI rules for soviet counterattacks can be somewhat predicted, and the setup is fixed. But it’s not puzzley because there’s enough random variance in the attack “rolls” that you need to keep an eye open towards keeping enough reserves and backup plans. Of course, the assymetry of the historical situation and desperate strategic realities for the Germans makes the setting really suited for solitaire treatments. I’m actually surprised there are not many more takes on this.

Components are not the best (I really want VPG to make a deluxe version) and the rulebook could be better structured, but that’s about my complaints so far.

Darkest Night 2nd is up at miniature market. Just a public service announcement.

I was going to buy this a few times…might have to take the plunge.

I like Darkest Night (2nd Edition). I’ll go so far as to say I prefer it over Eldritch Horror when it comes to solo play experience. And I find that comparing Darkest Night to any other game in my collection, it scratches a similar itch to what Eldritch Horror does. I was interested in reading Tom’s review of the first edition where he compared the game up against Mage Knight and I find those comparisons just as relevant against Eldritch Horror. Where Eldritch Horror is brought down by bloat, Darkest Night fits into one box with a few discrete decks of cards. Darkest Night merrily takes up only half my table, less if I had a better option for storing the cardboard chits such as the blights, Eldritch Horror wants a lot of real estate for the various decks of cards that are called into play.

What I truly appreciate about Darkest Night however is the character development. With the various characters I’ve played so far (Prince, Knight, Ranger, Wizard, Mesmer, Seer, Paragon, Mercenary and Valkyrie) they’ve all had their own unique arcs to travel along, between characters and also between games thanks to the randomised nature of acquiring new skills. I find it superior to the Eldritch Horror method that gives every character one special action and a passive bonus, then essentially unleashes the randomness of the whole game upon them. Darkest Night finds that sweet spot, Eldritch Horror gives me 3 hours of hoping that maybe my soldier will find that double barrel shotgun that allows him to work to his strengths (or ultimately die). Because of the much tighter character development in Darkest Night, I would never see myself playing this with other people because some characters play too heavily in a support role. The Prince is one example where his whole turn might just be organising a meetup at some spot to then give another player on a subsequent turn the “Inspiration” ability. A great ability because that player gets to roll 3 extra dice, but pity the poor person whose whole engagement for 1-2 turns is to simply give a player a card so they can have some greater impact elsewhere.

One thing I do not like about Darkest Night is how it is pass/fail for everything. I appreciate the simplicity of chucking dice when it comes to considering odds of success. But it takes me away from the theme of the game. To quote a part of Tom’s review

“I can’t tell you whether the skeleton or the specter has combat 5 and elude 4. Whatever the case, the other one has combat 4 and elude 5. See? Theming.”

Simplistic dice chucking has in a sense taken me away from the light theme that surrounds the game. I feel like I’m not really fighting a Runed Golem event card, just a card that has a success of 5 on it for both fight and elude with a failure always becoming a wound (minus one grace). As an alternate example, one game, I had a blight from the start that meant my search check required a +1 to pass. So the mountains that require a search of 4 or higher now needed me to roll a 5. Destroying that blight was a high priority, needing only a 4 or higher to destroy I decided my valkyrie would be up to the task. Turn after turn, I’d roll to destroy that blight, every time she came up short. 4 goes it took to destroy, my other heroes were hindered in their searching as a result. When a second of those blights came out, you know I just had to walk away. And it was at that moment playing the game it occurred to me about how much this dice chucking ends up feeling like I’m shoveling shit up the hill in the game. Sometimes I think there needs to be a grey area in the game that gives some forward progression when the dice rolling is just not happening, and it is this only point where I’ll say that Eldritch Horror excels where the monsters and the rumours (to an extent) allow the heroes to chip away slowly. There is still complete failures that exist, but I never felt completely infuriated as opposed to my Valkyrie situation.

I do recommend Darkest Night. There’s a lot of game there if the price is right. The game itself is rife with many options to play when it comes to set up. 29 different heroes with their own quirks (plus a compendium that explains each hero quite well) map cards that influence what blights appear, tailored to beginners, or facing an undead horde or enduring the psychological stress and three sizable decks with quests, mysteries and artefacts, all of which enhance the game. Then adding in the difficulty modifiers and variants (eg: dual class variant) give a lot to explore.

Ha! Try opening the game with a Nexus in the Ruins and Webs smack bang in the middle of the Village!

Heh. I had something like that recently. Those first turn Nexuses gotta go!

I have major ADD when it comes to board games. I will set one up, open the rulebook, and the next day see a different game on my shelf and decide to put the not played game away to set the new one up. Worse when I get new boardgames.

In the next 3 weeks, I will have new copies of:

7th Continent
Darkest night 2nd ed.
Street Masters.

I hate my problem but very excited to play these…now HOW do I play one with the others staring at me…AUGH.

Yep, saw today that 7th Continent 2nd Ed shipments had cleared customs and gone to QML for shipping. Might take as long as a month to get them out, but here it comes.

Sometimes I wonder with Darkest Night if the game would get too crazy if the locations were randomised at the start of the game. That poor village gets absolutely wrecked every single time. I’ve since started calling it Tristram thanks to the monastery next door and how that quaint little village invites doom upon itself every few turns.

Played this with @tomchick last night and really enjoyed it. I love the competitive aspect and the high score focus, which I know might turn off some people but in am opposed game seems essential to me. I appreciated the clear iconography, synergistic skill expression, and snappy play with minimal fiddling. I wish the miniatures were painted, but I think Tom is going to get on that.

Well it only turns me off in that I find beating a high score boring in solitaire. In multiplayer points work just fine.

As a solitaire game, there’s a binary win/lose state based on how many quests you can finish. Of course, you also have a score, because you earned xp while you were playing (the xp you use to “level up” by buying new cards for your deck are also your victory points). So that’s your score whether you won or lost. Some people – I’m not naming any names – keep our high scores logged on a piece of paper that we keep in the game box.

-Tom

Interesting. Do you think it would be engaging/challenging s olitaire?

Oh, there’s no “think” about it! Dungeon Alliance is primarily a solitaire game. I actually don’t care much for the way it works as a multiplayer game, but I really wanted to show it to Bruce.

-Tom

I will definitely look into it! Living near Miniature Market’s new retail store is absolutely terrible for my wallet…

VPG has a teaser for the Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Ed reprint kickstarter that goes live in July. Some small details on two of the three mini expansions that will also be available:

https://www.victorypointgames.com/news/zeds3-teaser1/
https://www.victorypointgames.com/news/zeds3-teaser2/

That reads as informative as their rulebook organization… argh

(I will buy them, but, come on…)

Playing some Conflict of Heroes with the solo expansion. Took a few games to get all the AI rules down but now the gameplay is flowing well and it’s a nice tense tactical exercise.

They say they are developing solo scenarios and the very good AI for some of their other titles…the more the merrier!

Didn’t Emrich state they were working on some card game based on DOTZ3. Said it was coming along and very difficult. Hope that’s still happening.