James Cameron's Avatar 2 (and beyond)

I can’t think of Avatar 2 without this coming to mind…

I think Dave is in a similar situation…

That first one looks like it has a duck’s head.

I think this sums it up nicely. The directing in the movie was great; the CGI was really fantastic for the time; the new 3D tech was novel and exciting; and the acting was pretty much fine.

All this stuff managed to make it in to a phenomenon, even though I agree with others who posted above about the dialog and plot.

I can’t cite a single line from the movie, and although I can picture them in my head I couldn’t actually remember the name of any single character before someone said “Jake” a few posts up. But I DO remember walking out of the theater pretty happy when I first saw it… Not “first time seeing Star Wars in the 70s” happy, but pretty happy.

Ryan Gosling cares, too???

Beowolf came out two years earlier with a version that employed polarized 3D. It’s just that at that time only a few selected movie theaters had the setup required for that.

That said, Avatar was the juggernaut that pushed most movie theaters to upgrade. And to his credit, Cameron made better use of 3D, and his company had also invented (or for the first time used) lots of new production technology.

I don’t remember clearly what the 3D effect was like. I arrived late and my seat was squished very close to the screen and down in a corner. I had to strain my neck a lot.

:(

I don’t think the 3D effect added much to SW:TFA. (The other 3D film I saw.)

That’s pretty smart, actually. At least in terms of getting a realistic mo-cap performance for an underwater scene. In the ironically titled Underwater, there were a lot of scenes supposedly underwater where it was painfully obvious the actors were just walking around on a studio set. Water effects were CG’ed in after the fact. The end result was people whose movements were nothing like what people would move like if they were struggling with the resistance of moving through water.

-Tom

There’s a guy locally who’s REALLY into Avatar

His whole body is tatted up

Well, at least it wasn’t phantom menace or revenge of the sith, right?

And that image is just begging a meme like: I’m so into avatar, i got wood

Maybe he’s just trying to get out of jury duty?

I’m ashamed to admit that I completely got into the viral mindset of Avatar, and the 3D blew me away at the time. Remember 3D TVs?

Actually I recently remembered I owned one!
After all the discussions here, I decided to rewatch Avatar and got hold of the 3D version and after owning this TV for 4 years, watched my first 3D movie on it!

So yeah, reckon the spectacle definitely holds up, and the 3D is very well done and immersive. After all the horrible 3D I was subjected to over the years, this showed again how a master craftsman can really make it a versatile tool!

Even though the story is rather by the numbers, this viewing has confirmed for me again that I don’t think we should underestimate Cameron’s ability to manufacture an exciting event movie.

BTW This was the extended edition and apart from a couple of short scenes in the beginning, I couldn’t say what was different to the version I saw a decade ago in the cinema. What I CAN say, is that was a bit long, so can’t really recommend this version.

That scene in the beginning set on earth? Its got very strong Blade Runner vibes & everyone in the overcrowded streets is wearing a mask is not observing any social distancing!

Back to work!

While I still think it’s crazy to bet against Jim Cameron, this just sounds like a shitshow in the making.

Not that I was super-hyped to begin with, but…

and much of the film centers on their preteen offspring

Oy.

On one hand, Aliens and T2 also had kids in a central role.

On the other, Avatar 1 wasn’t very good.

Dude has a prime that is hard to top, it is true. That said if you were ever going to bet against him, this is the time.

signed

• a noted Avatar hater

I know some people who worked on the sequels and by all accounts Cameron is as talented as he is a bully. He was so relentlessly cruel to one soundie that the production opted to pay for the guy and his family to go on an all-expenses paid lengthy holiday. The hours were insane even by NZ standards.

You have me at hater.

I’m also a certified Avatar hater, not just because of the story, but its production.

So James Cameron and his crew got special permission to come to the country to film Avatar 2 (and 3 and 4, yes there are more atrocities in the pipeline) while others equally important (if not more so), like doctors or nurses or teachers or farm workers cannot, or is in a massive waiting queue.

Ok there is just as much rage about the government (that let this happen) as there is towards James Cameron.