Jason's Ridiculous Oblivion Mod List

If you’re using OBSE and want to be a more Thief like rogue then arm yourself with this mod which gives you all the trick arrows.

There’s a new official patch for Oblivion, 1.2.

Anyone know if it’ll be compatible with the original heap o mods?

Unfortunately it has the potential to break any and all of them. :(

Hell, I’d pay $25 for a one-click error-free install of all of these mods.

So what’s the verdict with 1.2? I should be getting Oblivion early next week. I started to try to figure out what I needed for the OOO and MMM mods, spent the next 1.5 hours trying to decipher a wall of text regarding compatibility and Wyrm Level manager instructions, and gave up.

I’m sure I want to use the OOO and MMM mods to play based on discussions here, but I am not sure I can handle the webforum approach to development that these things seemed to have taken. There are always about a billion links to downloads in each of the posts on the mod, and even then I never have the slightest idea whether I am getting the newest version, etc.

Yes, patience is not in high supply for me. :)

Some mods just are broken:

Reneer’s Guard Overhaul 1.56 (CTD with guards) Pending fix
Knights Of The White Stallion (Quest Not totally working right)
Alive Waters 0.5 (CTDs, missing meshes)
Bag of Alchemy (CTDs)

–> OBSE has been updated to work with 1.2 - it can be found Here
–> The UOP and UOMP have been updated with 1.2 compatibility (No Frans+UOP 2.0 ATM)
–> Hotfix for bug with incorrectly named vanilla meshes after 1.2 Here
–> Hotfix for crashing vanilla and SI bows Here
–> MathFunctions.esm, an ESM file used by many mods, crashes existing saved games and wont let users create new ones after installing SI, but can be fixed by redating it to before Oblivion.esm
–> Francesco’s Leveled Creatures-Items 4.2b Has some problems with its BSA files - Fix explained Here
–> Martigen’s Monster Mod v2.01 causes CDTs - Fix available Here
–> Oblivion WarCry causes CDTs - Fix available Here
–> More Immersive Sound has a problem with incorrectly named vanilla meshes - Fix explained Here
–> Natural Interiors does work now if you register the BSA files in the .ini. The fran’s fix should work the same way here
–> Natural Habitat has problems with birds - Fix can be found Here
–> SM Spell Levelling has been fixed, compatible version can be found Here
–> Soya’s 4 Hair Pack messes with the imperial voices, possibly due to 1.2 - A fix can be found Here
–> Timeslips custom shader packs do work if you properly patched the unedited shader files first with 1.2 and then make them writable (which in most cases requires a reinstall if you didnt backup). other shader packs dont seem to work, CatEye packs are confirmed
–> Darn UI and Dark UI w/ Darn have problems with 1.2 but can be fixed by installing and configuring This
–> It is also recommended to delete your old oblivion.ini file and let the game recreate it again, it seems to solve alot of problems
–> It has now been confirmed that any BSA files being used by an ESM type mod will not load, but any using an ESP will. the solution to this is to either unpack them, or register them in your .ini (but has problems if the BSA name is too long, this can be overcome by setting the .ini to read only)

Links and discussion after the jump. UOP 2.0 doesn’t work with Francesco’s yet. :(

Also, apparently the stand-alone patch from Bethesda for 1.20 is NEWER than the one provided on disc with Shivering Isles! wow So, you have to patch up again!

Good lord. Vanilla it is, I guess. I want to play a game, not the newest version of “Mod Manager.”

EDIT: That was somewhat classless due to the good natured intent of this thread. Thanks to Lum (and others) who got the package together. I’m just disappointed that this seems to be one of those games where the mods become a pain in the ass to implement and use. I just have bad memories of spending more time trying to get the mods for Combat Mission downloaded and working than I did actually playing the game.

To be fair, even Jason calls the list “ridiculous.” What I’m doing is playing through a mostly vanilla game right now (Oblivion + SI). Once the mods have had time to get stabilized for the 1.2 / SI clusterfuck, I’m going to be switching over with a new character. For whatever reason, I just find this game to be that infinitely replayable.

And now for a sort-of on-topic question. Can anyone recommend a mod that changes the racial stat caps? And only the racial stat caps? Basically, I think it’s stupid that +stat birthsigns are worthless past level 15 or so. I’d also like a reason to pick a race other than Breton, for once.

What an idiot I am. I was having a blast with Oblivion 1.1, with a large batch of mods I’d settled on, just having as good time as I have had with any RPG in a long time in that great, free-form Oblivion style. Role playing as an assassin/thief with great stealth, and I can shoot the eyes out of a sparrow 100 yards away with my bow. Haven’t even started the main quest, just playing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild mission and random exploring and quests. Nothing broken, just fun.

But NOOOOOOOOooooooo, I have to patch to 1.2 because, well, it’s the latest patch. And now when I try to start the game, I get part of the way in and get kicked out. And I see that Francesco’s mods need to be removed and patched and upgraded, etc. As due the Natural Environments. And who knows what more?

Arghhh.

I’m using my own tweaked version of Oscuro manually merged with a few other mods and things are working nicely post-patch.

There’s not much to be worried about with patching or SI as all the content in the expansion is completely new. Conflicts are just impossible.

The only problem I hear come from scripts that require .dll mods, or .bsa files bound to .esm.

So even the conflicts with Fracesco’s mod are mostly because of formats and not because of data. Just wait him to release an update and everything should work again fine.

On the other side I don’t know what the hell happened with the Construction Set. They basically just added a spell checker and still managed to break a bunch of other stuff and make it also love to crash.

PUSH THE BUTTON

THE BIG

RED

SHINY

BUTTON

Stimpy! You eeeeeeeeeeediot! That’s the Oblivion eraser button!

So, if I want to use the following mods only:

OOO
MMM
Francesco’s Leveled Creatures
Warcry

It is a fairly simple process using FranOOOMMM? Because I checked this page, and have to admit that it leaves me absolutely clueless what it is talking about.

Wierd stuff about betas, being able to download the main version of something from TESS, but not the add-ons, bash patches, etc. All greek.

I just want to install four mods - that’s all I ask. :)

I’m guessing you need these…

http://www.elderscrolls.com/redirect.php?site=http://devnull.sweetdanger.com/mods/CryFranOOOMMM_beta74.7z
http://members.iinet.net.au/~amills/MMM-patch-temp-fix.zip
http://ftp.worldofplayers.net/oblivion/obl/undead_visages_hotfix.7z

In that order. That is ridiculously complicated though.

Um, that doesn’t even come close to doing it. If you need to be sarcastic, at least be helpful and right.

Hardly. You have to download Wrye Bash and use the releveler utilities with the ESP files in FCOM (what used to be Cry FranOOOMMM) in a dark magic ritual to Sithis. From their new homepage:

This release is not for the faint of heart. It may chew your game up into tiny bits and spit it back in your face! Yes, Wrye Bash really is required for this version.

Looks like Mighty Magic will be developed by another person than Damar Steele for SI.

Here is Quest Award Leveling for SI.

What the hell is Wrye Bash and releveler utilities?

Maybe I should redo this, since it seems I am asking the impossible (or at least, the impossible to learn and do in under an hour or two).

If I were to pick just one of those mods, with objective of making it the best, most balanced, and most interesting game possible, which one should I pick? I assume that installing just one will be much easier than installing all of them.

I’d pick Francesco’s.

I got Francesco’s working without any problems. Whether it’s the best of the type, I’ve no idea. But I did get to see a guard get attacked by a mountain goat on the way to Bruma, so that was worth it right there.

Fran and Mad Martigen’s can be used together without too many problems, but when you throw WarCry and/or OOO into the mix that’s where it goes kaboom.