Jean-Claude Van Johnson: Amazon and Jean-Claude Van Damme make a series

If you have Amazon Prime, check out the new pilot for Jean-Claude Van Johnson.

I hope, hope, hope this gets made, as it must be my favourite Amazon pilot in a long time. JCVD is an operative using movies as a cover. But he might not be at the top of his game…

JCVD makes such a great tragic figure. And there are some really funny scenes in the pilot. Loved it.

Wendelius

I just watched it. That was funny. It has potential. Sort of in the vein of Chuck, and I loved that show. I’m not sure if this can be as good as Chuck though.

This was funny.

“No no, one at a time, or me might run into each other. Could get confusing.”

Yeah it was good, but is a half-hour long enough for a show like this? I mean, it’s not a sitcom, as humorous as it may be. I just thought there wasn’t enough time for them to get the story going.

Good question. I guess it depends on where they see the story going and how they structure it.

The other question is whether they can write it well enough that the situation and characters can make the humour work throughout the season.

But I really liked the first episode.

Don’t get me wrong; a half-hour may turn out to be just fine. I’m sure they know what they’re doing. After all, this is 30 minutes, not the 22 I’ve come to expect lately. So maybe they’re shooting for something in between.

But after many years of conditioning, I kind of expect something with this much drama and action to run a full hour, or hell even 45 minutes (the USA TV hour).

Caught this last night due to the recommendations here. I thought it was fairly good, but we’ll have to see where it goes from here. It does seem a bit constricted by the 30 minute format, I agree.

Also, when Phylicia Rashad appeared my wife and I both blurted out “Mrs Cosby!” She’s looking pretty good for a woman who’s almost 70.

Funny. That’s exactly what my wife did too. :)

Wendelius

I liked this a lot. JCVD is all in and it is a good mix of stupid and clever.

“…and the woman I love is fucking N-word Jim.”

…and my Felicia Rashad “holy shit” moment was when I saw her name in the credits. No wonder I liked his agent so much.

…and the credit music was great.

This was good, I hope it gets picked up.

Love me some JCVD , recently watched Hard Target, which was also good. ;)

Hard Target was good. My favorite JCVD movie was the one where he’s running from the Russian Mob with Natasha Henstridge. It was called Maximum Risk, which is a typically terrible name for one of his movies. But I found the actual movie really fun.

First season is up on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot/dp/B01J77TD22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513557052&sr=8-1&keywords=jean-claude+van+johnson

Cool. I might check it out if word of mouth here is good.

I watched the first two episodes last night. Surprisingly good! JCVD has a real eye for self-deprecating humor. The part I wasn’t expecting, and really enjoyed, was the absurdism in the world design. A favorite is Jean-Claude having a heartfelt discussion with the director of the “action movie re-imagining of Huck Finn” about his discomfort with his co-star’s character name being “N-word Jim”.

“What do you think we should call him?”
“How about just ‘Jim’?”
“But then that would undermine the essential challenge of that character’s journey as a black man in 1860s Mississippi.”

Finished this last night - was a fun ride!

Oh god, I love this show! The beginning of episode three had me literally in tears from laughter.

When he starts smiling omg he’s seriously charismatic…

Filip might just be my new favorite character on a TV series.

This show was unexpectedly brilliant. Especially episode 4. I’m surprised by the kind of tone shifts it exhibits as the season went on, but I was happy to ride that rollercoaster.

I just saw episode 3, and can’t remember laughing this much recently over a show. Man that was great! Sadly, I have to wait for the GF to catch up, because this is too good for her to miss.

Who would have known, that this is where JCVD ended up? Nice!