Jeff Vogel's Geneforge 1 - Mutagen by Spiderweb Software

I grabbed it for the iPad, as I remembered all the praise from Brian Cackowski-Schnell about his Avadon port way back when. It’s the sweetest: the fonts are really readable, and only a couple of things are lacking (I’m going to request a left handed mode for “mouse-overs” very soon I think).
The upgrades to the base game are no jokes, especially the summon system which Malkav11 perfectly summed up. I loved the world view of this game and that overhaul perfectly matches its darkness.

For people interested, you can grab it for about 6 bucks now on Epic with the 10$ coupon.

Been playing it extensively all week. I’m about 1/4 through the game and I don’t know whether I changed or the writing changed, but I am thoroughly enjoying being a somewhat old fashioned shaper.
The descriptions from the point of view of a shaper, with a taint of skepiticism, are very good, and the presence or not of essence pools change some areas into experimentations feasts.
What a wonderrful remake.

Appears to actually be $10 (still a historical low).

Damn, Jeff Vogel is so awesome, we also get great Euro pricing!

This is currently free on Epic through 7/7.

It looks like Geneforge 2 - Infestation will fully fund on Kickstarter in one day. I really enjoyed Mutagen, so I’m in.

Same.

Remake Nethergate you coward!

Yup, it funded.

Meanwhile Mutagen is on sale for $10. I may grab it and add it to the subsection of my backlog that is Spiderweb.

He already did once.

He may yet get around to a second time, but I’d assume finishing out Geneforge Saga and maybe tackling the second Avernum trilogy would be higher priorities.

I never heard how the Nethergate remake did. The original was one of the poorest selling spiderweb games of all time, unfortunately. Amazing game.

First stretch goal is cleared in the KS campaign (community sourced creation).

I don’t really back video games anymore, but it’s Jeff Vogel, so he can have my money.

I got the impression it was similarly not particularly selling.

In case you missed it. Geneforge 2: Infestation is out. I’ve barely had time to play it, with Dragon’s Dogma 2 and Millenia eating up my free time. I’m still really looking forard to this slice of old school RPG goodness.

Oh I’ll grab the iOS one, the remaster of the first one played wonderfully on a tablet

Infestation is really good, which was to be expected. I think it was my favorite of the original Geneforges in some ways. Although sadly the busted Parry/Riposte of Geneforge 2 no longer exists (and was nerfed in beta a bit, and then nerfed quite a bit more for Geneforge 3 and beyond). Oh man those were good times.

I played several games in one of Spiderweb’s other series, but never got into the Geneforge games back in the day. I remember seeing ads for them in being interested.

Geneforge, though not without some mechanical issues here and there, might be his best work IMO (Nethergate being my other choice). I stopped beta testing during the Geneforge 4 beta due to getting laid off and not having the motivation. About my only big complaint at the time was 4 felt like too much of a rehash of what was going on in 2 & 3, in terms of plot.

I will note that Infestation has something interesting stuff going on in it that Mutagen did not. Battleshaping is basically special attack skills that can all be used withy melee or ranged weapons. They’re quite well done and spice things up for people who don’t want go down the “summon an army and lay waste to my enemies” route the series is most famous for.

Hm, generally GF3 is regarded as the uninspired rehashy one, it came out in a bad creative and financial period for Spiderweb. 4 shook things up and revitalized the series (and company) with the shift to rebels as the starting perspective, more developed NPCs, better QOL/UI, a more dynamic approach to factions and questing, and more setpiece event battles.

Regardless, there’s a lot of love and care put into the remakes with both mechanics and writing, and Infestation is a good introduction for anyone new to the series (playing the first isn’t required, though it’s also good).