Jeff Vogel's Queen's Wish: The Conqueror, by Spiderweb Software

Spiderweb games give birth to threads as good as their games oO

I am waiting for the obligatory iOS version!

I’ve found an annoying issue. I cleared out an early mine and found a description of another mine that should hold related enemies. The problem is that I don’t remember where it was describe to be and I don’t have a quest to find it.

The small patch they released fixed the random freezes for me - just following up in case anyone was holding off because of this issue.

I am really looking forward to trying this eventually. I like most of the new ideas and really like the idea of being to change specs/strategy. I played a lot of Avadon and Avernum and always wished I could respec and try out different skills without starting over.

I also see they announced they are updating a Geneforge game soon (next?) and really looking forward to that also as I have never tried one of them.

Yes, that information should either go into the quests or your journal. The information is revealed in a special encounter by opening a chest after you slay the boss. Once you open the chest it says there is a valley southwest of Fort Haven. There is a door in the cliff wall at its north end, marked with a hook symbol. Once inside, there is a button hidden behind the second stalagmite inside.

How is one supposed to remember that? How does one enter things in their journal. There are several empty locations in the journal but clicking on them does nothing.

Late 2019 for anyone wondering.

During dialogue or special encounters, you can click on the “record” button in the bottom left of the dialogue/encounter pane and the information will be recorded in your journal. But I don’t see how you can edit journal entries.

In the end I went back to the mine and, in a nice touch, you get the message again if you attempt to open the chest.

I can see using the record feature but it is an awkward work around instead of spawning a quest in your journal. It’s an old school touch that works once you figure out that the game expects you to do it but it feels clunky in a way that the rest of the game, as old school as it is, doesn’t.

Had this game in my library for a while and finally jumped in. Anybody remember how to make money? I did a google search on ‘queen’s wish making money’ and mostly got stuff about Meghan and Harry…

Looking at screenshots, I like the art/graphics more in this game than any of his previous games.

You have to get forts onto your side and build stuff in them. I don’t recall any specifics about e.g. structure X produces Y money. You just start to get money and resources coming in at “tax time”, less bandits stealing shit and the like. It is possible -or was when I played, maybe a patch tweaked something - to run into trouble where the generation of a resource is concerned. By which I mean: you can make it so that you can accumulate it due to your maintenance costs. But that’s typically temporary; eventually you’ll get another fort, another mine, etc and come back into the positive.

OK I only just finished retaking the 1st region and haven’t journeyed to any of the other vassals yet. Though I did just build a Bakery that generates a bit of income.

It does look very nice but I do miss the old isometric view. I do like the more streamlined loot/inventory which greatly reduces the grind while adventuring so you can focus on, well, adventuring.

You mean the new-fangled, trend-chasing isometric view. Whippersnapper. Get off my lawn.

(The very first Spiderweb games were Ultima-style tiles.)

Those same old isometric sprites were used in what must be over a dozen games. I stopped playing because I got sick of looking at them.

Having just played Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, I have to post this:

Just looked at the Spiderweb Software iPadOS store. It looks like he converted some, if not all, of his stuff to 64bit. The game I bought years ago, Avalon: Black Fortress is still there. Never mind that I never really made a serious attempt at playing it.

Taking back forts is super important and should be a priority. There 2 in each vassal region and each fort provides you with a healthy income of various materials (it differs per fort/region), and that intrinsic income will grow once you get the fort upgraded. That’s in addition to what structures generate.

Reviews seem to be mixed on this. What is everyone’s thoughts now that’s it been out for awhile? Anyone play on iPad? How is it?

Steam says I played it for 10 hours. Subjectively it feels like I was squarely in the middle, well into developing both my party and the strategic fort layer but with a good bit still to do. I don’t normally dump games that I get that far into before finishing them, but I also don’t feel like I wasted my time or anything. It was fun for what it was and if I have another Jeff Vogel Game craving at some point I’ll go back and finish it, but it’s also not like it’s a masterpiece of CRPG gaming or anything.