Jessica Jones - from Marvel and Netflix

I’d heard a lot of gushing about this show, but I’m watching it now, and it feels pretty mediocre. The wroting doesnt feel great to me. There’s a lot of TV show logic/interactions, and a number of obvious things played for shocking reveals. There’s also a

It feels more like a network show than I would have expected, which I don’t reallly mean on a positive way.

If I’m not feeling it by episode 4 or so, is there anything there for me?

Also, they talk about finding his only weakness, but it seems to me that Kilgrave could be defeated with a pair of really good headphones and an iPod.

I’m struggling to find a reason why you should continue if you gave it to 4. More Kilgrave and Trish time is probably the strongest reason—I felt like those two were the best parts of the show. I personally liked it a lot at that point, and it just went downhill from there for me.

Finally finished it. A strong female lead is worth supporting in the genre, and the show and characters were more grounded than most Marvel franchise (which I’m almost at the point of writing off). Agreed with the above, that it felt like the writers had a nice clean plot for 9-10 episodes, then executives liked where it was going and told them to extend it to 13.

The high point for me was when they had Kilgrave and the parents came to visit - everyone finally in the same room for the first time, tension climbing, things start to go wrong… to me that episode made the series worthwhile. It started to go south shortly after, so for the rest I was mainly in it for the closure rather than excitement.

Renewed for Season 2; exact date unknown (about this time next year I’d imagine).

— Alan

Im just getting into this. Ive watched 3 episodes and I like it but for christ’s sake can we please stop creating drama based on the “I was too stupid to tell you from the start” crap. While I get that there’s a crap ton of emotional baggage through out this show but using that old crutch to prop up the drama is getting frikkin old. Its not ruining the show for me but from what Ive been hearing about the show I expected better from the writers.

Huzzah! I’m sporadically going through it again with my ex whenever she pops around (as she occasionally does, we’re still great friends).

I just insanely love the way she doesn’t give a fuck and is like this totally fearless punk chick with superpowers - except when it comes to the vile, cockroach-like Kilgrave. Great character, and very much a superhero in the best sense.

I just finished this show, and I thought it was great. The three principal actors were terrific, especially David Tenant. Happy to hear they’re doing a season two :)

Agree overall. It can be uneven at times and I do think it could have been done in a couple less episodes, but it was a very interesting take on a comic book series. Almost everything done in TV/movies these days fits into the traditional Comic/Superhero mold. Even Daredevil which I liked too is a mostly a straight forward superhero origin story in its season. JJ was a very different tone that put the superhero stuff in the background at times and the main character is very much not your typical leading lady. I hope we see more non traditional stories like this as I think its needed to keep the comic genre interesting.

This woman looks really like Michael Jackson.

Yes, I just rewatched and enjoyed Jessica Jones, and that thought occurred often to me too.

I am having a very hard time getting into this show. It’s supposed to be so good, and it feels like such a slog to me.

Not everyone felt it was great, personally I found it a slog in the middle and not as good as DD but better than Luke Cage.

I had several retries over some month to get through it. The end did pay off but getting there felt far too slow and tedious. For me the worst paced of the Marvel series so far. But the characters are cool and I look forward to season 2.

There was no good reason that the first season being 13 episodes, when they had 10 episodes of story at best.

Yeah, I got maybe 4 episodes in before I realized how bored I was and stopped watching. Shame, really.

I felt the same way but managed to get through the whole thing. It picks up at some point but as has been mentioned up thread, it’s a 10 (possibly 8?) episode show padded out. I don’t regret watching it, but I don’t feel it’s as good as many have said.

It’s a decent show - I expect the second season will be better. I did like it a tiny bit more than Dare Devil at some points. But overall, DD was probably more consistent.

If I remember correctly, it picks up after that and gets really good - only to run out of steam at some point.

Jessica Jone fell badly victim to the “I’m not going to tell people the information they obviously need to understand the situation and deal with things because reasons” trap that is so indicative of bad television these days. Sacrifice plot, character and audience good will on the alter of making the show drag out long enough for the contracted number of episodes.

Yes! It got much better around Episode 7 when the bad guy starts actually using his powers to Do Bad Things.

They should have cut some of the earlier episodes, IMO, not the later ones.