Jessica Jones - from Marvel and Netflix

This was a mediocre season. I was ready for Jessica to move past being an asshole and pushing away everyone in her life after season one, but no, this is pretty much just origins and problems from her past, round two.

I never want to see another story about Jessica’s family—biological or adopted—again. I actually liked Trish in season one, and she would make sense to keep in Jessica’s life, but they ruined her in season two so I don’t want any more of her, Hellcat or not. And I definitely don’t want any more of Trish’s mother, or any of Jessica’s biological family showing up again (for real or just as another kind of hallucination/psychic angst).

We know who Jessica is, we’ve seen more than enough of what shaped her in the past, lets move forward. Tell some good stories about her PI practice in a world of heroes and metahumans. Give us more of the strange stuff like sad flash, the comic-inspired stuff that a normal drama can’t do, but that’s still a little too gritty and unglamorous for the MCU films or something like AoS.

That should be the strength of a show like this, stories it’s uniquely positioned to tell. Just do that without mining further angst from Jessica’s past, dial back her reluctance to do anything heroic a little more. The end of this season gets us to about where I hoped she was at the end of season one.

I liked Malcolm this year, though their relationship really highlighted my problems with Jessica. The only thing I really enjoyed this season was Jeri’s story. Carrie-Anne Moss was excellent, and her story was great.

Awww man. I’ve only seen Season One, but Trish was the one highlight on that show, the one positive person in Jessica’s life, and a breath of fresh air on an otherwise bleak show. Sad to hear they ruined her in Season two.

I think I really disliked this season. Kristen Ritter straight-up fucking is Jessica Jones for me, but this season seemed intent on: dragging out its central conflict well beyond the point of being useful; crushing the lives of its side cast; and making sure that the paint sex scene definitely happened.

I did like the glimpses of PI work were awesome, some of the extra super shenanigans upfront seemed cool, and it was nice to briefly see Will Traval’s Nuke again (even if I kinda think of him as a poor man’s Aaron Eckhart for some reason).

Then again, I don’t really like “sad” things, and this show includes a lot of those. It may just not be for me :(

Several of the impressions earlier were from people who liked this season, so you might feel differently, but yeah, Trish definitely sunk to the bleakness of the rest of the show this season rather than raising Jessica up.

Spot on. Focusing on the past was an enormous misstep for the season. Jessica interacting with an increasingly weird New York going forward is what is exciting about the character.

Just got around to watching Season 2 over the past few weeks. While I agree that the main plot about Jessica’s family and past was kind of slow paced and predictable once it got rolling, I do think that it did a good job of pretty much totally covering both her origin story and her experiences since becoming powered, which in turn explain exactly why she is the way she is when we are introduced to her. Granted, they could probably combined this with the Season 1 Killgrave plotline and not needed 26 entire episodes to get us to the point where Jessica Jones comes to terms with her shit and decides to maybe start doing something with her life. I’m hoping Season 3 will be a lot more PI work that leads to interesting opportunities for heroics and weird discoveries, all with a healthy does of Jessica being Jessica.

I did enjoy the side stories of Trish and Malcolm this season. Both characters need to get more screen time. Looks like Trish’s superpower is saving people from expensive cell phone repair bills. I was less fond of the Jeri side story, though it was well integrated into the regular plotline. The character was just too unlikeable in Season 1 to suddenly become a sympathetic character in Season 2, even with all that’s happened to her.

Hopefully Season 3 will focus on bringing the characters back into each others lives to battle something that threatens them all (and NYC in general). Hopefully it ignores the comics altogether, as the last thing this show needs is Jessica and Luke Cage married, having a daughter and then hiring a superpowered nanny with a stupid super name.

Unless it’s Luther in which case they only give you… TWO EPISODES.

I think 10 is perfect. Japanese dramas are 10 eps and very rarely give another series if it’s very popular. Korean dramas have lots of filler, 20+ eps, they will repeat footage and flashback stuff that just happened the previous episode. Very annoying. They reuse jokes. I can’t deal with K-drama. Chinese dramas, forget it, that’s 365 episodes a year and they last as long as a typical dynasty.

I still haven’t finished S1. KILL KILLGRAVE ALREADY. So annoying. JJones is the best of all the marvel series thought imo. Daredevil is just poorly-lit action scenes with no plot. Punisher had a good start then turned mediocre. Fist brodude… no. just no.

Anyone else watching this? Or has everyone just given up on the last outing of the Netflix Marvel collaboration?

I just finished episode 6 and am generally enjoying the show. Some interesting character progression going on. Though I feel like some of the subplots up to now haven’t really grabbed my interest (eg Hogarths story despite good acting from Moss & an odd direction for Malcolm). I guess those storylines play into the overall themes - justice and accountability etc but I could do without them and thus trim down about a quarter of the runtime…

Lets see how the rest of the season pans out!

It’s on my list, but they had to release this, 3%, Dead to Me, and Handmaiden’s Tale within a couple of weeks… among others. The summer streaming schedule is already packed!

I’m one episode past you, and I would agree with your assessment. This season is much better than season 2, but still not as good as the first.

I enjoyed the episode that focused on Trish, and think I would have enjoyed more of those.

The show still suffers a little like all the other Marvel shows on Netflix…it takes awhile to get anywhere.

I’m of the firm belief that all the marvel shows on netflix live and die based on the villian. David Tennant as Kilgrave and Vincent D’Onofrio as Kingping are both great, and make those seasons worthwhile. I find the heroes pretty lackluster - they need a strong foil.

Or maybe I’m just rooting for the villains.

Agree. D’Onofrio is what takes Daredevil from a solid series to a really good one.

I sorta have an interest to watch this since it’s the last of the Marvel shows, but JJ has been very inconsistent to me. Seeing they still stuck to 13 episodes is a turnoff though.

I’ve finished it, solidly in the middle of the Netflix series, better than JJ season 2, but not as good as the first. The patented Marvel mid-season switch worked really well for me in this one, made for an interesting end to the show. It is a shame they didn’t go all in on the cameos since it was the last one and I think they were aware of that as they were filming, but ah well, it was a good ride whilst it lasted.

Roll on Disney+ and their attempts at serialized hero shows. I imagine it will be a lot lighter fare than these ones we’ve seen here.

I intend to start checking it out. I loved both of the first two seasons, and JJ is my favorite of the Netflix shows. (I still haven’t watched LC2, IF2, Punisher, or DD3 though. Man I need to catch up! All the time in the world now though, since they’re done with these.)

Watched the first two episodes last night. So far nothing is happening other than Trish being stupid.

Nine episodes in and that’s still basically true.

I watched the first two episodes and dropped it. I did enjoy how they blew through the effects budget for Trish’s parkour training montage in episode 2. They must have pulled some big favors to get a company like ILM to work on that.

The only real pleasure I’m getting from it is that the mean Lawyer lives in our old building in Tudor City.

I like the character of Jessica Jones, and I like Krysten Ritter’s portrayal of her. So, from that perspective, I enjoyed season 3.

But if you were to tell me you didn’t like it because you didn’t think the writing was very good, and the story wasn’t very interesting, or it was too many episodes… we would not have an argument.