Jessica Jones - from Marvel and Netflix

Been through the first two and a half episodes. It’s a slow psychological burn and man does it get messed up. Yeah and Jessica is a bit messed up too. Luke Cage’s powers get revealed pretty early. And yeah, if you don’t like sex scenes… be prepared for a lot of skipping. Because there is a lot of sex in this show. Trish, who I’m assuming is the future Hellcat, is great and features somewhat prominently, as does Carrie-Ann Moss. There are some great lines though.

And I have no idea how this is going to resolve or how they will get Kilgrave at this point. Tennant is deliciously evil and he loves it.

— Alan

Flipside, I’m finding some of the sex to be a little unnecessarily graphic/plentiful thus far (four separate scenes heavy on sex/sexuality/etc.). Not a prude by any means, but when I find that something like a third of my screentime thus far’s been spent staring at people grinding on each other in various states of undress, I can’t help but wonder if all of it was completely necessary to tell the tale.

If they are trying to stay as true to the comic run Alias, as much as possible, then the sex is absolutely needed because it was so much part of that series and helped define the characters in a very dark and real way.

For sure. After all, the very first issue of the comic has Jessica deliberately enticing Luke Cage into sodomizing her to feel pain & degradation just to feel something different than what she’s already going through. Sex was a bigger component of that comic than any other book Marvel has ever published, and it’s not even close.

It 's too bad that they can’t have the creepy sex scenes with Ant-man.

You sound really disappointed about that, Desslock.

— Alan

something

I think that was alluded to in the 2nd episode, although I didn’t understand it until I read this.

Really liking this show. I just hope they don’t cheese out on getting Kilgrave and come up with something really smart. I wouldn’t know what to do about him.

I’m in a tough spot with this one. My son (15) and I watch all the Marvel stuff together, going back to Hulk and Iron Man. We watched and devoured Daredevil, but this sounds a little adult and even a little darker than what I’d like him to be watching. But how do I tell the kid I’ve watched literally EVERY OTHER MARVEL THING, the young man I talk to about comics almost daily (and who reads the comics I pick up after and often before I do), the guy that watches tons of YouTube videos where folks talk about, dissect, and discuss comic book shows from Arrow to Agents of SHIELD, that this one has to sit out?

I can’t, I can’t do that to him. So we’re going to sit and watch while I grimace and wince. Should be awesome. :/

Well so far as I can remember there hasn’t been the use of the f-word once. And there’s no full frontal nudity at least.

— Alan

For sure, and you sound really uptight.

Showing that sex and sexual relationships sometimes are mediocre and awkward, or just don’t work because you don’t match up well with a partner, is rare enough in fiction - let alone comics. I can’t think of another instance where it’s been depicted so, yeah, it’s a bummer to lose Jessica’s relationship with Ant-man. Hopefully they have a similar storyline with an alternate character.

While there’s no nudity(A Marvel stipulation I think) they very blunt about the sex. It’s basically like basic cable say the FX channel show. Use shadows or have the women still wearing their bra etc. but there’s no ambiguity about whats happening.

Yeah, and definitely didn’t intend to make it some big thing in bringing it up earlier. Admittedly, I don’t really watch any Showtime or HBO programming, so I have no good point of comparison here at all in modern television regarding the relative raunchiness of JJ. It did take me by surprise with its, to steal from Jason above, unambiguousness. I suspect (still only being two episodes in) that it’s meant to be conveying something meaningful about character and/or setting, but not having read Alias, I can only read in what I’ve directly seen onscreen so far (and much to the chagrin of all my English teachers ever, I’m pretty bad at artistic interpretation). So, at this point, my overall interpretation is that it’s a little gratuitous and overemphasized compared to its artistic value/contribution, although the significance of one of the four scenes I’m thinking of is becoming clearer as I dig into the show a little more, and another was probably just a scene setting opener (maybe a little longer and louder than I’d have written it). Maybe more will come into focus later.

On the flipside, thus far, the graphic violence is much reduced compared to Daredevil at the same point, and what we’ve seen was far more impactful when it came partly due to that. So, still a fairly “adult” show compared to, say, Agents of SHIELD, but in a fairly different way than the last Netflix outing.

Still loving it so far, though. I’m genuinely disgusted by Killgrave despite his extremely limited direct presence so far, and his looming menace, compounded by some very competent camerawork and lighting, has given the whole affair this incredibly thick, unnerving air of deeply uncomfortable tension so far. Really brilliant stuff, verging way more toward Silence of the Lambs-esque psychological horror than the wry, damaged noir I went in expecting.

Oh he starts looming large fairly quickly.

— Alan

Wow, just watched the first two episodes. And I thought Daredevil was dark! This is some fucked-up stuff.

I’ve watched the first three episodes and so far the sex hasn’t been graphic at all and strikes me as good character development. These are emotionally scarred people trying to fill holes in their lives, and they each just met someone they can identify with. Plus it’s early in the relationship so of course they’re going to bone like rabbits. :p

I’ve only watched most of the 1st two episodes but agree - it’s not graphic at all in its depiction of sex (although the subject matter is mature) and certainly not comparable to the HBO shows, for instance, where nudity is common. Has there even been nudity at all in the show? If so, it’s been very peripheral. Again, more the sort of sex scenes you’d see on a 9pm network show than on a cable show, although the context is darker.

Man, I loved the scene in which Luke Cage vs reveals his superpowers - awesome. The casting in this show is perfect so far - step up from Daredevil in acting depth charts too.

That’s an interesting catch - I didn’t realize they were setting her up to be Hellcat, but that makes a lot of sense. I just thought she was a replacement for Ms Marvel out of necessity, but making her also a hero would make that an even more fitting substitution.

Really enjoying this so far.

What I’ve seen of it, the sex scenes actually looked a bit gratuitous to me, in a “Look how edgy!” way in the way they’re shot, while still remaining “safe” in a “no naughty bits” way.

Still, not a problem, it’s a great show.

Yeah I think they are definitely setting her up. Her references to not having Jessica fight all of her battles for her (a bit literally apparently) and taking Krav Maga, etc.

4 1/2 episodes in. I still don’t know how this is going to resolve well. Show is definitely a slow burn.

— Alan

Don’t know anything about the comic. I like this much more than Daredevil.

One bit about her dressing up as a sandwich - she sells them as ‘hoagies’, and the girl refers to her as a ‘sandwich’. But nobody uses the more common name, ‘hero’. Wonder if that’s intentional.

Is the bit about her not flying some sort of in joke?

You know, if I lived in a city that had recently been invaded by aliens led by a Nordic god, only to be saved by a team featuring another Nordic god, a giant green humanoid monster, a mythical super soldier from WW2 and some guy in a battle suit that seems like it’s from the 24th century, I think I’d be a little bit open to the possibility of something like psychic powers.

Wow, super show! Really cohesive, like, nothing seems lumpy or out of place, everything’s just so well-paced and flows. She’s a great character, and deeply heroic, as well as often funny and a bit flawed and anti-heroish at the same time. Only 3 in so far, really looking forward to it unfolding.

Cage’s superpower reveal was great fun, and the way they’re setting up that she’s going to have to reveal the truth to him at some point is so sad and painful to contemplate.

And Kilgrave is just vile - that shot of him when she catches him out, he looks so grubby with his unshaven, peaky face - and with just that hint of fear, and almost embarrassment when he sees her, like she’s caught him fapping. So well acted. Literally a disgusting villain - not terrifying in the way that Kingpin was, but disgusting like the cockroach she kills. You get the sense that being controlled by him would be horribly intimate - ugh.

And the thing is, that redounds to magnify her courage in the way she’s dealing with it.