Jet Set Radio? No, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

Wow, that’s so blatantly the Jet Set Radio aesthetic.

Fingers crossed that it’s more like JSR Future, and not the original.

Hideki Naganuma did the music on JSR. This is a fine Sega if you wont make it we will project. They aren’t the first to try though there’s been a couple of others.

The music part makes me hopeful, but if we’re not literally getting a remaster of the original games, then I hope they give us a worthy but modern take. I’m a little worried they’re going to stay too close to the originals. I hope it’s more like the way Streets of Rage 4 modernized the franchise while staying true to its past.

Goddamn I loved these games. Please let this come to Xbone. Please.

Love the look!

I wish the gameplay video actually showed me what the gameplay was because I’m still confused.

Releasing August 18 on Switch and PC, other platforms later.

https://twitter.com/reptilegames/status/1648725144313929729?s=46&t=q1HWZnapBhcdbtSNUtA10w

Everything I said above is still true. It looks exactly like I remember JSR/F. Maybe side by side there would be obvious improvements, but it still looks “old”.

A modern Jet Set Radio should look more like Hi-Fi RUSH.

New trailer! Looking pretty sweet - plus release dates, looks like PC and Switch releases August 18, Playstation and Xbox get it on September 1.

Who’s taking a chance on this first? I’m still more skeptical than excited.

I’ll wait for the Xbox release if it’s good. But on the other hand, the Xbox release will be around the time of Starfield, so maybe not yet. I wish it was coming to all consoles today, not just Switch.

What I’m getting from ~20 minutes of watching someone stream it is a lot of lifeless cutscenes of conversations.

Uh oh. That reminds me of Jet Set Radio, rather than the superior sequel JSRF which got rid of most of that.

Mh, it’s quite expensive for an indie title, and it seems they added day 1 DLC as well. Full package is nearly 60$. That’s a price range that offers a lot more enticing offerings.

Judging from the forums, there’s control issues galore, and I can’t say the gameplay vids I’ve seen have me convinced so far. No official reviews have materialized as of yet, kinda looks like a rushed ninja release.

What does “Mh” mean?

Seems to be getting very good reviews. Just an unfortunate time to release because I have zero time to play it.

Got any good links to reviews? I’ve seen John Linneman briefly tweet that he loves it, but this is the rare situation where I’m not sure I trust his opinion.

I blasted through this in two 6 hour sittings - I just could not put it down. They nailed the movement, and made some really smart changes to address some of the wonkiness in the Jet Set Radio games while also raising the skill ceiling. The boost pack lets you do an air dash as well as allow you to go faster the better you trick, and being able to switch to freerunning at any point lets you handle more precise platforming when necessary (collectible hunting, usually). The levels are also really dense and well designed, and switch between really freeform sandboxey areas and more prescribed paths within the same map. This game is so mechanically sharp you can absolutely tell the dev team made fighting games before this.

And of course it must be said they also pulled off the JSRF vibe in the world design and music - the dancing (which is used to trigger a few types of events in the game, but you can do at any time with the press of a button), the flip phone, the outfits, and the music is just right. That Get Enuf track from the trailers is used as sort of a main theme throughout the game, and that was the right call, it’s just so awesome, but almost every track is nearly as good. Luckily you can usually find the collectible to play a given track in the area its introduced, which I did for my favorites ASAP. This is a 10/10 for me, at $40 it’s a steal. And if you own an Xbox to play JSRF, you need this game yesterday.

As in “exhausted all the content and am now done with it”? Does that seem short for an open-world trick/combo game, or are you just that good, or is it a matter of the game not wearing out its welcome?

That’s the time it took me to complete the main campaign. Then you unlock a few post-game challenges to unlock more crew members, but really at that point the game becomes about filling out your map and graffiti completion, as well as doing the high score challenges for each area.

For today, I’m going to do the challenges that unlock the inter and intra-map shortcuts before I start score chasing.