JLU premiere tonight?

The wings, or rather, the harness, is made of Nth metal (same metal that’s in Hawkgirl’s mace in JLU). In the comics, the metal’s powers are greater the greater the will of the user, or some such, and it can be used for practically anything.

It’s impossible for me to be critical of these shows because there was absolutely NOTHING like this when I was younger and wanted to see shows like this on TV. My kids loved the JLU episodes and even got my wife to watch them again. They’re also big fans of Teen Titans.

I just can’t say anything bad when these are really so good compared to all that passed for cartoon superhero entertainment in the later 70’s and into the 90’s.

–Dave

Maybe some people don’t like the obscure villains, but I love 'em! By the end of this season and the Villains United arc in the comics, I’m sure I’ll know every single one in the DC Universe. ( Please let the Joker in the LoD! )

I also liked the use of the Flash’s powers in this episode… obviously he’s more of a force to be reckoned with now, and no longer quite the amateur. Even with Fire and Hawkgirl down he could take on Dr. Polaris and the Key himself.

Still downloading the second episode…

I absolutely love how Batman and Luthor are the two most bad-ass characters in the entire universe while being entirely human.

Of course, they should have died a thousand times by now.

…Which only served to highlight the absurdity of Lex taking the old guy away at gunpoint. The Flash could’ve easily taken the gun and gotten the old dude out of harm’s way before Lex could begin to react. Oh well.

That’s pretty much why the writers have avoided the character whenever possible. I suspect that it’s only fan outcry over him being absent most of the last season that’s resulted in this much story time.

As lovable as the Diniverse Flash is, he’s a damn hard character to write for when it comes to creating situations that would actually challenge his powers without being boring.

For the most part, a man who can run at the speed of light when he absolutely, positively needs to really has little to fear from the majority the vast majority of evil doers outside of the ultra-powerful.

Which is the same problem they had with Superman in the past.

I’m not sure the Flash is 100% confident in his abilities all the time, and is probably more careful when dealing with the likes of Luthor (as mentioned, the most or second-most bass ass human on the planet). Who knows how much he might still be hyped up by Brainiac (as far as the Flash knows)? You want to risk Last Blackhawk’s life on an assumption?

You know, it just occured to me that the writers of this episode missed an opportunity. Lex achieved “godhood” for a brief period of time, and he’s obviously bitter about losing it. Flash is the one that made him lose it, yet when Lex sees him in this episode he says nothing. It would have been a nice touch and another tie to the overall continuity.

True, but Jesus, even at the beginning of the Wally West run, he could have taken care of a gun being held to someone’s head, and his top speed was under Mach 1 at that point.

As mentioned, he’s just hard to write for, unless it’s his own comic. Anyone normal speed is literally standing still while he decides what to do with them. A handful of BBs and he’s the most dangerous thing in the universe.

H.

One of the greatest lines in the live action Flash TV show (after catching bullets out of the air): “Guns don’t kill people, it’s these little hard things!

And thank you, Noun! I couldn’t remember Doctor Diehard’s name, and he was the only one I couldn’t. Although he wasn’t in the episode, and you left out Tracer. :P

I thought the eps were all right. Certainly not on par with the previous few, but as has been said, them’s some big boots to fill. I think that is also coloring opinions somewhat.

Bets on if Hawkman gets an entirely new outfit and origin by the end of the season? If they stick to how DC handles the character, it should happen at least twice…

I really don’t like Shiera.

She was completely bland before her treachery, then she was kinda interesting, but now she’s reverted to being bland. More Bats, please.

Agreed. That other chick GL’s running around with? Boring too.

Agreed. That other chick GL’s running around with? Boring too.[/quote]

Quite. I’ll add Wonder Woman to the list as well.

More Black Canary, Huntress, Supergirl or even that Star spangled kid. I would have liked more fire, but apparently the Diniverse direction for her is somewhat different than the comic-verse.

I’d like to see Wonder Woman and Batman have a relationship episode. Go on a date or something.

I like Shiera. Vixen seems to be there just as a plot point, though.
I also like Wonder Woman, though the comic version is preferrable.

I for one would love to see the Diniverse just go completely wild and piss off legions of DC fanboys and give Wayne a little happiness in his life.

Hell, I’d have loved if they allowed the older Wayne to hook back up with a retired Selena Kyle in Batman Beyond.

In my mind’s eye, I picture a little comedy episode in which Bruce is on a date with Selena while Terry goes through an entire night on the streets as Batman. Cue humor moments where the older couple’s date is interrupted every so many minutes with McGinnis asking Bruce for advice through a radio earpiece.

During the run of Batman Beyond, we do get to see Wayne get back into something of a normal life in how he takes back his company from Powers. I’d have liked to see Wayne get back a little more of what he’d lost as Batman.

Stupid “Batman can’t be happy, that’s just not Batman” cliches.

The Diniverse took a pretty wild turn for me with the Epilogue/Batman Beyond episode last year. Is that plotline something that had been established in any comic, or did they somehow get permission to invent a pretty huge connection like that?

Agreed. That other chick GL’s running around with? Boring too.[/quote]

Quite. I’ll add Wonder Woman to the list as well.

More Black Canary, Huntress, Supergirl or even that Star spangled kid. I would have liked more fire, but apparently the Diniverse direction for her is somewhat different than the comic-verse.[/quote]

Wonder Woman in general is boring, but lately she’s been elevated to Superman-level powers, and thus fairly interesting. I recall one where Supes was possessed and flew her to the friggin’ sun, then punched her back to earth, and she survived quite well.

It’s hard not to pay attention to her, is my point. Flash still owns, though.

H.

Are we talking about on Earth 1, Earth 2, Pre or Post “Crisis on Infinite Earths”?

Most fans seem to accept The Dark Knight Returns as the default “future” of Bruce Wayne, but there’s nothing really official about it other than popular support.

There have been numerous other “future” stories that vary wildly, many of which involve either Batwoman or Catwoman ending up married to Wayne, but those were discounted as occurring on the “other” earths before DC retconned 50 years of comic history.

As for the events of Batman Beyond, outside of a seperate comic book series produced by DC, it’s not actually part of any official continuity.

I wonder why Cartoon Network is airing two episodes/week with no promotion? To me, it seems like they’re trying to blow through the entire season ASAP in order to replace it with something else. Perhaps this is the last year of their contract…?