Job interview advice

I’m going for a job interview (by phone) tomorrow for the position of game designer, at a smallish games company that’s recently signed a partnership to develop a new MMO for the Asian market.

I’m not a game developer and I have no experience in the industry. I’m actually rather surprised I’ve got this far. I have the general experience they wanted - 2 university degrees, analytical skills, high literacy, experience and love of playing MMOs, positive attitude and drive to succeed. My job experience however has been in IT customer support, IT management, and as a member of the EverQuest guide program.

I really want to transition into this industry and I’m very hopeful about the job - but I’m also sure there are others with more industry experience than me being interviewed. I also know I probably don’t fit a typical game designer profile, being female and very soft-spoken.

Anybody have any tips on the kind of things a prospective MMO developer would be most interested in, that would encourage them to consider a candidate with less industry experience over one with more? Or any tips in general about the most desirable aspects of a MMO game designer?

chews fingernails

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have absolutely no insight into the hiring process of the games industry, but my guess is that if you’ve made it this far into the gauntlet, they’ve got a good idea of your past experience. Go in smiling and excited and I’m sure they’ll give you a fair shake.

It helps if you like games and can explain why. (It’s the “why” part that sometimes trips people up.)

• Alan

And realize that they’ll probably work you to the bone and burn out any love you have for games.

I have a love of online communities, more than the games themselves. I find them fascinating, always have, and I hope I always will. Online multiplayer games are a particular instance of online community building where there are (I hope) more jobs to be had.

I’ll find out mid next week whether they want me to come for an interview in person. My main concern is that it would probably mean a significant salary cut (significant, like, 40k). Is it worth it to transition to a field I’m interested in? Guess that’s what I have to decide if they’re still interested next week.

Well I’ve got to believe that a prospective game designer knows and likes games, knows what works and what doesn’t, and most importantly for this one in particular - knows what works and what doesn’t for your community (the Asian MMO market). Knowing that particular market may help a lot.

I honestly dunno if being a woman is a help or hindrance; I would assume help.

— Alan

… and not to be mean here, but will this job mean that you’ll do nothing more than respond to calls for people that sold their stuff to an online con-artist?

I’ll find out mid next week whether they want me to come for an interview in person. My main concern is that it would probably mean a significant salary cut (significant, like, 40k). Is it worth it to transition to a field I’m interested in? Guess that’s what I have to decide if they’re still interested next week.

I’d say no, but a lot depends on the position. Is there actual advancement opportunity and the ability to put your mark on the product and do fun stuff, or are you just going to be meat for the customer service grinder?

It depend, I imagine, on how much you like your current job, and how financially secure you are which really you are the only one qualified to determine. Though if you think you could get back into your current industry without too much trouble it might be worth a shot, you never know…

It’s an actual designer role, not customer service (though I actually like customer service anyway). So I don’t think I’ll be in the “customer service grinder”. It’s a design team of 7, the game sounds, while not mind-blowingly original, at least like a unique take on the MMO genre that hasn’t been done before (sounds kind of an arena or mission-based FPS set in a persistent environment).

The Game Systems Designer reports to the Lead designer and works closely with the design and programming teams.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
o Developing new game systems specifications as required to support and expand game play
o Maintaining and improving existing game systems and associated system documentation
o Maintain and extend design content within the MS SQL environment
o Learn and use proprietary techniques to balance existing and new game systems
o Additional responsibilities will also be assigned as warranted

QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
o Strong understanding of MMO* and RPG systems, especially combat and all factors that determine its outcome
o A bachelor of science or higher level degree in engineering, applied science, or economics
o Either

• Previous experience as a game systems designer or
  • The ability to demonstrate successful analytical and problem solving skills in a technical field

PERIOD OF TENURE
The position is for a minimum of two years.

While I’m not thrilled about a pay cut, I have no dependents, I’m only 32, and I have no intention of ever having children. I also have a partner who works as a web programmer, and though he’d have to find a new job too if we relocated, I don’t think he’d have too much difficulty finding something, so there would be a second income. I probably couldn’t easily get back into my current industry - but considering I hate it here, would I want to anyway?