Joe Abercombie -- Maybe time to re-listen to this great series.

So I did a very quick look and didn’t see a listing for Joe here. I am re-reading “Best Served Cold” atm but plan on re-reading the whole First law series.

Frankly for what it is worth I listen to most books now and the narration on all the Abercombie books is excellent.

I will do two things: I will look for another thread that may have these books (research I guess --this site has a huge library now) and I will get the first book in what is a disjointed but extremely well-written hard edged fantasy series.

“The Blade Itself” --that is the first book. The series branches here and there (though the first 3 books are a serial)

He’s been talked about a bit in the book thread. We also have a Kindle thread and a bargain ebook thread where people recommend ebooks on sale.

Can we please avoid titles that make me think one of the better fantasy writers out there has died?

Thx Mark I was seeing a few posts in the book thread.

Sry Rowe! I see that lemme rephrase.

Thanks! Made me panic for a second there, given the Paul Allen thread/news!

I saw that and realized you were right.

ASOIAF narrator is really good too.

I’m pretty sure he’s been mentioned in the audio books thread. You’re right that the narrator for those books is awesome. He really brought the characters to life for me. I seek him out when he reads other series now.

It’s sort of mind blowing you started this thread, as I just started reading this last week on @ShivaX recommendation, and I’m absolutely obsessed with it. I’m 70% in and already picked up the second book as I think I’ll be starting it this weekend.

Way back in the dark ages, we had a dedicated First Law thread, even. Oddly enough, it barely shows up if you search for Joe Abercrombie though.

This thread probably as good as that one anymore. But if you want to read some impressions from folks back when, there you go, if you like!

Lucky you! As much as I like his series’, his standalone books are my favorites. They seem to focus on certain side-characters and smaller settings from the series that I thought were great.

Very cool. I see there are three stand alone novels set in the First Law world, so I’m eager to read all of them!

I’m reading these now, on the 3rd book. I have some quibbles, but excellent overall. I can put them down.

I can’t, I haven’t had this much fun with a new series in a bit and it’s really cool to have something to look forward to whenever I get a chance to read a little.

Sorry Scott, I’m totally mistyped. I too can’t put them down. Love them.

Oh, LOL, that makes more sense! Yeah, the first one is so good, I can’t believe how fast I’m going through it. I literally had to NOT read last night because when it’s over while I can dive into book 2, I’m not eager for it to end.

I know. His stuff is special. I recommend Red Country as the first read after the trilogy is done, though I haven’t read his other standalones yet. I can be like that and hold off to save some to savor later.

I will also take this time to mention what I consider to be another outstanding fantasy novel, Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames. I just loved this book as well. Can’t help putting in a plug for it since I consider it to be another extremely well-written fantasy.

And it’s got a sequel. Squee!

https://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Rose-Band-Nicholas-Eames/dp/0316362530

Hey so the stand alone books that follow the First law trilogy are also excellent. I suspect that “Best Served Cold”) which has some scenes in it that will chill the soul) is actually the LEAST good or the 3 stand alones. In my opinion but … I may change that as I run through them again because I love Mercato.

“Red Country” is freaking crazy good. And should probably be read last of the 6.

“The Heroes” is a good book but also a good story about a single battle. Plus it has The Dogman~! (Not really a spoiler)/