Joe Gibbs to coach Redskins again!

Only if you’re smoking crack with a hooker!

MS, I know what you mean about Snyder. They keep saying on SportsCenter (which has been on all day and very loud thank you very much) that Snyder is a huge fan of Gibbs and will just be in awe of him the whole time. Why do I doubt that very much?

Joe Gibbs is greater than Dan Snyder, and if Snyder forgets about that for even a second, there will be millions of people carrying torches and firearms knocking on his door to remind him. When Dick Vermeil makes a crack about you during a press conference, even the densest of people would hopefully step back and realize that a) he (Snyder) has long been a joke in DC and is becoming one nationwide, and b) he’s just entered into the perfect situation from which to escape that fate. Hopefully the Parcells/Jones model will provide insight as to what to expect both in terms of success and owner/high-profile-coach relationship.

Everybody always wanted another Joe Gibbs, and I can only guess at how great they must feel to have gotten even more than they wished for. There’s a LOT of emotion about this. Nobody’s going to let Snyder fuck it up.

Dan Snyder = Fantasy Football taken to it’s worst possible extent.

This is the best thing ever. Finally hope for our franchise. As many others have pointed out Snyder will be lynched if he screws this up. Gibbs is too powerful and has too much pull in this town for that to happen. The Redskins have talent they just need a good coach to pull them together, Spurrier was far too lax with the team. Their biggest weaknesses are in the defensive line and at running back but I suspect they will plug those in the draft or free agency.

– Xaroc

Judging by the local news, you would think Jesus was coming to coach the Skins. There were “special reports” for almost half of the local broadcasts, so there were a lot fewer murder reports than usual.

All this excitement has the cynic in me predicting a 7-9 season.

Troy

Troy you haven’t lived in the area long enough to understand. DC and the surrounding area lives and dies with the Redskins. Joe Gibbs is one of the best coaches in the history of the game and not only that he was the coach that took this team to the promised land 4 times and won 3. He is the saviour as far as Redskin fans are concerned. I will throw out 8-8 as starting point. Gibbs could have made a difference in the 6 or 7 games they lost by 3 points or less. The guy is flat out a winner.

– Xaroc

I understand that Gibbs is a great coach, and with the Caps and Wiz the only other teams in town…

Yeah, I suppose it’s like the Leafs in Toronto, but dragging out the “war font” for both Spurrier quitting and Gibbs being hired is a little overwhelming. Even Boswell had to stretch to find something negative to say.

The full coverage yesterday was just something I’ve never seen on a sports story since Gretzky was traded.

Troy

Troy you haven’t lived in the area long enough to understand. DC and the surrounding area lives and dies with the Redskins. Joe Gibbs is one of the best coaches in the history of the game and not only that he was the coach that took this team to the promised land 4 times and won 3. He is the saviour as far as Redskin fans are concerned. I will throw out 8-8 as starting point. Gibbs could have made a difference in the 6 or 7 games they lost by 3 points or less. The guy is flat out a winner.

– Xaroc[/quote]

I’m not ready to make my own prediction, but the sports pundits in DC will be predicting 12-4 before the start of the next season, mark my words.

Even when the Caps and Wiz do win it doesn’t matter the town is a football town. Also, the surprise of the whole thing really adds to it. In all the rumors Gibbs name never even came up.

– Xaroc

I know. Sorry, I get carried away with my DC bashing sometimes :D

It’s DC’s fault. For the past 15 years they haven’t been willing to do anything for the Redskins. When it came time to build a new stadium and get out of RFK in DC, DC wouldn’t give a dime. maryland was all over it with offers for infrastructure and tax breaks. Not sure about the training camp, but it’s a safe bet there’s a similar story there.[/quote]

My god, the DC government did something smart? I can’t believe it.[/quote]

If you call removing 70+ million dollars per year from your tax base and eliminating some 20,000 jobs smart, then…yes.

Yeah, because that wouldn’t have been offset by the massive amount of money loaded onto residents in the form of taxes and bonds to fund the stadium. Publicly funded stadiums are a huge boondoggle that owners put over on the people who actually make the teams viable (taxpayers).

Eliminating 20,000 jobs, though? What jobs were eliminated?

This wasn’t to be a publicly-funded stadium. I think your facts are a bit off. Jack Kent Cook offered to build it with his own money. All he asked for was a tax break on the construction and some infrastructure (read: roads leading to the stadium) assistance.

So far as the jobs go, the Redskins stadium generates massive employment. All the people associated with the team, the thousands of staff that are required to service the boxes and suites, security, physical plant, food service, beverage service, limousine (cabs, buses, limos), traffic coordination-It is truely massive in scale. No most of those folks are probably being hired from Prince Georges Co., MD, and NOT the district.