John Dvorak is an idiot

that’s funny Qenan cuz when I read it I think “slow news writer”

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1371073,00.asp

Hey! Not too bad this week!

Of course, his coments on gaming…

GAMING. Gab fests are OUT, and LAN parties are IN. Does anyone find the concept of a LAN party rather peculiar? When I was a teen, we used to get in cars and cruise around in a predefined circle socializing with others. (See the movie American Graffiti for reference.) Now kids sit in a darkened room eating pizza and shoot at each other in virtual space over an elaborate network. Does anyone but me think this is a fundamental change or a reflection of a fundamental change in society?

Damn these crazy kids.

“Beige is OUT and case mod is IN.”

This is from the same guy who was lamenting the demise of the computer hobbyist?

Is it just me, or is John beginning to sound like the last generation talking about his generation? :roll:

It’s not like John and I are that different in our ages. But we’re an age apart.

GAMING. Gab fests are OUT, and LAN parties are IN. Does anyone find the concept of a LAN party rather peculiar? When I was a teen, we used to get in cars and cruise around in a predefined circle socializing with others. (See the movie American Graffiti for reference.) Now kids sit in a darkened room eating pizza and shoot at each other in virtual space over an elaborate network. Does anyone but me think this is a fundamental change or a reflection of a fundamental change in society?

Ok. American Graffiti takes place in the 50’s. Maybe he didn’t notice the haircuts. I’m, um, guessing he’s actually talking about the 70’s or 80’s? Doesn’t he realize that the whole car-hydrolic/bass radio/Lowrider Magazine movement replaced “50’s cruising” and that LAN parties… what could be the 70’s-80’s equivalent of LAN parties with pizza?

D&D with pizza?

Fundamental change? My ass.

Little idiocy this week! Nothing for me to latch onto and call him an idiot.

Call him one anyway… it’s pretty obvious this guy hasn’t got a clue, I’d e-mail him and tell him to search for it on Google, but he’d probably write back and complain what a stupid idea a search engine is.

Not too bad today.

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,30,00.asp

Dual rant.

1. Interviews with top tech people are stupid.
  2. Bill Gates says some really strange things in interviews like…

Or how about Gates’ claim that he needs an hour to figure out how to open a file in OpenOffice. :shock:

Maybe it’s because OO doesn’t feature a talking paperclip?

[/quote]

i guess he’s saying that the actual money spent directly on the software is a one-time investment. when was the last time you spent money on half-life?

funny, isn’t MS trying to push subscription-based software on the world?

This thread, I think, will go on forever, or at least until Dvorak stops writing.

You guys take too much perverse pleasure in mocking the man :)

Today!

Blogs will die! People that write blogs are being used! (How people that write their own blogs are using themselves confuses me).

Sony is stupid for not making a PC! (WTF?) The PSX will suck. Various other ramblings.

I think the idea is that people who write blogs are being used by the medium. They are being pressured/extolled/whatever into revealing personal and intimate details without getting anything for it. It’s a kind of voyeurism. They are being used in the way that prostitutes are being used, even when they “choose” to become prostitutes.

Now, I am not saying I agree with him (I hope not to agree with Dvorak, generally) but I think that is his point.

Does anyone remember when Dvorak was on TechTV (or Znet or whatever it was then) doing those panels on technology? I found the panelists interesting, but Dvorak was like a lesser (MUCH lesser) version of Bill Maher. He was always pompous, never admitted anyone else was right and he was wrong, but he wasn’t ever funny.

I disagree with the “being used” part, but it doesn’t surprise me that many blogs are abandoned. I’m sure people get tired of updating them sooner or later. It’s difficult to do any kind of work on a sustained basis without receiving some form of compensation.

It’s ludicrous to say that they are being used “by the medium” since “the medium” has no ill intentions or motives and “the medium” gets nothing out of it. As for the bloggers not “getting anything for it,” they most certainly are - most of the blogs with painfully personal details are probably cathartic for the people writing them, and the people writing probably get some affirmation of their feelings by the feedback they get. Not to say that they aren’t embarrassing or disturbing, but obviously the people doing it have to be getting something since being used involves an exchange, or the perception of one.

People blog because that is the current “in” thing to do on the Internet. We’ve seen it before with personal web pages and blogs are the current version of the personal web page. And blogs are being abandoned just like personal web pages.

Personal web pages were the first thing I thought of when reading Dvorak’s latest rant. Has he somehow missed those? Many people enjoy putting random stuff on the web, for a while. Then they get bored and move on. Blogs are just the latest fad.

it looks to me that many of the people posting here are seeing blogs as personal web pages with a diary theme… this is how they’re used by people who are vying for a chunk of national press.

the reason most blogs are actually fun is because they are only a small part of a larger community… the only reason i keep a blog is so that i can have a centralized location to view my friends’ blog posts. (www.livejournal.com) the site provids a simple framework to automatically aggregate the latest posts to all of my friends’ blogs. that’s what i’m there for.

i don’t really post often, but i can be assured that when i do, 20+ of my friends (real life and otherwise) will see it. i’m really not trying to revolutionize publishing.

these pundits have it all wrong.

Dvorak has been talking about this for years. His point is that since Sony makes many superb consumer electronic devices, and since for many people PCs are just that, a Sony PC would be really great. I think there’s something to that - they’d certainly be worth a look.

You mean like a VAIO?