John McCain diagnosed with brain cancer

Shitgibbon, who has spent years lambasting NFL players and depicting them as “disrespecting veterans”, goes out and disrespects one of the most famous veterans we had.

He disrespects veterans constantly and always has. Look at the Gold Star family back in the campaign. Same shit has been happening ever since. He kisses ass generally on the stump, but then when it comes to actual people he always shits on them.

https://twitter.com/AmericanLegion/status/1034147994029965313

Nat’l Cmdr Denise Rohan sent the following letter to President Trump, urging the White House to issue a proclamation keeping the US flag at half staff through his interment of Sen. #JohnMcCain:‬

Dear President Trump,

The American Legion urges the White House to follow long-established protocol following the death of prominent government officials.

Mr. President, just this year, you released presidential proclamations noting the deaths of Barbara Bush and Billy Graham. Senator John McCain was an American hero and cherished member of The American Legion. As I’m certain you are aware, he served five and a half years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam and retired from the U.S. Navy at the rank of Captain. He then served in the U.S. Congress for more than three decades.

On the behalf of The American Legion’s two million wartime veterans, I strongly urge you to make an appropriate presidential proclamation noting Senator McCain’s death and legacy of service to our nation, and that our nation’s flag be half-staffed through his interment.
I look forward to your response.

Denise Rohan
National Commander
The American Legion

I’m guessing her “surprising number” is in actuality surprisingly low. Why are vets who stuck with Trump through the gold star family disaster and his handling of the VA going to suddenly make a U-Turn because he wasn’t respectful to McCain’s memory?

This guy managed to fuck up a speech to Boy Scouts. Who’s surprised?

The Gold Star Family stuff could be seen as ‘just politics,’ given the venue of the speech (if you really, really wanted to find a way to support Trump through that fiasco without admitting it’s mostly because those folks looked muslim).

If “I like people who weren’t captured” didn’t cause issues I don’t see why this would, but I can’t fathom the minds of Trump voters.

Also IMO stuff like “enemy of the people” is about 1000 times worse than Trump being a dick to a revered senator.

I mean the bullshit draft dodging, the disparaging of McCain being a pow, his declaration of unprotected sex being his own personal Vietnam were all okay. It took the flag not being flown at half staff and not praising McCain in death to piss them off. They are still with him if they were up until Sunday.

It sounds crazy, but a lot of Republicans around me have suddenly started to say, in effect, w.t.f.

I even heard some today saying he should be impeached. And this is Texas.

It’s not so much about fathom but penetrating through to.

Most Trump voters are low information voters or bad information voters. And Trump’s petty f.u. to a veteran that was tortured in support of his fellow soldiers for his own petty gamesmanship is something that gets through.

Because Trump thinks like a slimy real estate broker, if you have nothing to bring to the table, you’re trash and can be slandered (badmouth that competition), and if you are bringing something to the table, you’re a swell guy, a goodfella. He sees the world in terms of binaries, of being competition or being a partner (sucker). That’s why he constantly switches from being a smiling friend with all hands to chunking his erstwhile friend under the bus a second later. Only cares about you if you have skin in the game, and something to bring to the table.

McCain opposed Trump, so he’s trash to Trump, simple as that.

No, please. WH and GOP please ignore this as you ignore everything else. One more nail in his fucking coffin.

Also they weren’t white.

https://twitter.com/newrepublic/status/1034541140794597377

Republicans don’t want to rename a building, currently named after a Democrat, after a republican.

I am not sure why liberals took all the flak for being not graceful with his death when there are plenty on the other-side who are just, well some of them are pretty darn awful too.

Probably because those people are fucking shitbirds. I mean if you don’t mind being in the same category as Trump and his ass-kissers, I guess it’s not a big deal, but most people don’t want to be in that group.

Yeah, they’re all shitbirds, but most of those on the right are… Well, well established ones.

Just to be clear, if you are always a “shitbird” then we should point that out less than the ones that occasionally cross in the muck. This must be why the other group gets to allow in it but it’s never hypocritical to point it out when someone else does the same thing.

From what I’ve seen there are roughly twice as many as many on the right being disrespectful to McCain as on the left. It just sort of shocks me that liberals would want to be on the same side as Trump, and the alt-right.

Or to be more precise, I’d think realizing that you were on Trump’s side and being in a distinct minority of public opinion, would give one pause.

I don’ think it was proper for either side to say some of things I’ve seen, and I am not talking about here per-say. The narrative that it’s just liberals doing this is just plain wrong, and you can look at the white house to see just how wrong it is.

This strikes me as, well, absurd. I haven’t seen any liberals on the same side as Trump. I have seen some liberals making perfectly reasonable criticisms of McCain which happen to be factually correct.

This sort of charge takes the form of the anti-Iraq war bashing, where if you were against the war you were on the side of the terrorists. It’s the exact same argument. So, you know, cut it out.