John McCain diagnosed with brain cancer

Meanwhile, Trump is out attacking Sen. McCain both in the Alabama and on twitter.

This prompted a first class rant by Joe Scarborough.

I guess Hillary was right there are a boatload of deplorable Trump supporters.

Man, it must be weird to live in a world where you can say you don’t like something, and you’re also allowed to not like a proposed replacement, maybe even more than the thing you want replaced.

Weird.

Ha!

McCain: Let’s get rid of Obamacare.
Trump: What if we got rid of it and replaced it with mandatory stabbings?
McCain:I would not like to do that.
Trump: MY OH MY HAS HE CHANGED

I try an imagine two alternate universes: the one where Gore won; and the one where McCain picked someone other than Palin as his running mate.

I think he would have won in 2008 with someone other than Palin. I hadn’t quite given up on the GOP at that point, but him nominating Palin was the end for me.

I’ve disagreed with his politics, and his decisions, but he has truly served his country for a long time. I wish we saw this version of McCain before he had no more fucks to give, though.

Not a chance. Palin was a last ditch Hail Mary effort of a losing campaign. GWB was hated and the entire economy was cratering under the Republicans’ watch.

It wasn’t that long ago being named number #1 Russianphobe by Russia Today would have been considered a badge of honor in the Republican party.

Pretty much up until they nominated Trump.

I would like to purchase a one-way ticket back to Reality, please.

Sorry. The devastation of Shitstorm Trump has completely cut us off from reality for the foreseeable future. Stay where you are. Keep your head down. Ride it out. May HST help us all.

Clarification:

Indeed - we can’t stop here.

IMG_0551

I miss that crazy fucker. But Trump would be too easy for him.

Joe Biden presented John McCain with the Liberty Medal today.

I can tell that John was struggling to deliver this speech, but the words are beautiful, and it is so needed in the world of Donald Trump.

I’ve never been onboard the McCain fan train, but in this time with this lawless administration and the right wing fever dreams embodied by Fox, Breitbart and others - we need more Republican voices to join his:

Is that an official McCain document? If so, nice! If not, well, it’s still admirable and truthful.

It was on his twitter feed (I didn’t post the tweet since the image didn’t render correctly.)

It’s a good start but it would mean more if it wasn’t after a terminal diagnosis, where he has nothing to lose. The problem is that everyone with things to lose are either quitting or shuffling along quietly.

He should totally decide not to die. That’s just ring & run.

This is from his speech he gave yesterday at the Naval Academy.
It is painful for me to listen to his speeches now because he looks and sounds so ill. I guess cancer and cancer treatment take a lot out of you, especially at 81,

How did we end up here? Why do many Americans ignore our moral and historical knowledge and seek escape from the world we’ve led so successfully?
There are many wise answers to those questions. My own is: we are asleep to the necessity of our leadership, and to the opportunities and real dangers of this world. We are asleep in our echo chambers, where our views are always affirmed and information that contradicts them is always fake. We are asleep in our polarized politics, which exaggerates our differences, looks for scapegoats instead of answers, and insists we get all our way all the time from a system of government based on compromise, principled cooperation and restraint.
All the while the associations, rules, values and aspirations that comprise the international order we have superintended for three-quarters of a century are under gathering attack from regimes that desire a world less just and less free and more corrupt. And they are under attack from forces within liberal democracies themselves, parties that preach resentful nationalism rather than enlightened self-interest, nativism rather than equal justice.
It’s time to wake up.

It’s actually the radiation that causes the most problems. My dad went through this and it’s very sad to watch. He made it 8 months after diagnosis.

I don’t think the U.S. has to lead the world in order to not be a batshit insane anti-science white-supremacist breathtakingly-ignorant country, but I guess I’ll take my anti-Trump-Republicanism as it comes.